Emergency repairs

SmokyBandit

Featured Posts

We recently purchased a boat and have realised we are in dire need of repairs. Mainly floor but we now also have no heating. She is 70ft and we are traveling down the Coventry canal towards fazerly and was wondering if anyone knew anyone that could help us with repairing the floor most important part ATM. 

Btw the floor only spans 30-40ft that's needs repairs.

Thank you everyone

Alot of it is rotten, if anything it's the help to get the wood to us so I can do it myself. 

Not pulled any up, but have seen alot is rotten. And places been replaced with misshaped parts. 

Btw we have zero boating experience, and plan to live on board..

We're actually by a road right now, just off a major motorway. I not expecting perfesion fitting but I need to do something to get us home, we're heading all the way to the lower levels in Huntingdon so we need to make her more comfortable. Just regret we didn't make more effort in first place. I guess we will live and learn . 

I'd imagine most boatyards (who do work on boats) could do this kind of thing. Its a case of unscrewing and removing as much as possible that's in the way, then lifting and replacing a rotten section with a fresh one (probably of a more durable material than previously - ie a better grade of plywood or something). If it gets to the kitchen or bathroom area, its going to be interesting though.....then you're into plumbing and gas connections, maybe electrical stuff too. At that point it starts being more of a "project" than a "task".

The trouble with boat fitting is that everything is connected to everything else. It's very hard to do it while living on it. When refitting mine I made the  the bed six inches too short and had to dismantle the bed, a cupboard, half the roof and most of the kitchen to remedy it. Shortening my legs would have been easier... 

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 3

The floor may have rotted because of neglect or it may have because of water leaks.  Possibly windows etc, so worth fixing if you can find the cause to protect the new wood you put in.  So if taking the floor up you should have a look and see if the steel hull needs any rust treatment as if it has been wet for a long time it may need some tlc.  Easier now then when the floor is back down.

2 hours ago, SmokyBandit said:

We're actually by a road right now, just off a major motorway. I not expecting perfesion fitting but I need to do something to get us home, we're heading all the way to the lower levels in Huntingdon so we need to make her more comfortable. Just regret we didn't make more effort in first place. I guess we will live and learn . 

Given that there will be a reason why the floor has deteriorated i would advise to wait until you get a chance to sort out the job properly. You may find the bearers need replacing, which will involve removal of ballast which will need storing whilst the job is carried out. The baseplate will almost certainly require some preparation before it goes back. 

As an aside, if you are heading for Huntingdon i assume you will be using the Nene. With the potential for delays due to weather, you would be best to crack on with the journey. I became trapped on there last year at the very beginning of November due to planned stoppages being bought forward without notice, which involved being craned out to finish the journey as sequential stoppages would have trapped us for months!

On 28/09/2019 at 12:16, SmokyBandit said:

We recently purchased a boat and have realised we are in dire need of repairs. Mainly floor but we now also have no heating. She is 70ft and we are traveling down the Coventry canal towards fazerly and was wondering if anyone knew anyone that could help us with repairing the floor most important part ATM. 

Btw the floor only spans 30-40ft that's needs repairs.

Thank you everyone

Personally I’d get my heating worked out as soon as possible. 

As others have said the floor can lead to a big project and reveal further work needed. Why not do quick fixes on the floor to get it looking tidy through the winter. Then plan to replace in the spring, in warmer weather, or when you’re settled at where ever you’re heading.

But the heating would definitely be my priority. 

Good luck. 

Edited by Goliath

Hey, update on this. We have stopped a boat repair to get the floor done. I would be leaving it but I am falling through it pretty much everywhere. We have also decided that we gunna get her blackened aswell while we are here for that extra peace of mind. Had someone inspect the floor and they said it's dry underneath and looks like roof leaks causing the rot and due to using less than 8mm MDF it's just falling away. And with the stove, well last night the roof in the stove actually fell out. 

Thanks everyone

We will be heading down to hawksbury junCation towards branston tunnel. Any advise for a 70ft canal boat ? My main dear is the Nene as it's getting close to winter and tidal conditions and increasing. 

1 hour ago, SmokyBandit said:

Hey, update on this. We have stopped a boat repair to get the floor done. I would be leaving it but I am falling through it pretty much everywhere. We have also decided that we gunna get her blackened aswell while we are here for that extra peace of mind. Had someone inspect the floor and they said it's dry underneath and looks like roof leaks causing the rot and due to using less than 8mm MDF it's just falling away. And with the stove, well last night the roof in the stove actually fell out. 

Thanks everyone

We will be heading down to hawksbury junCation towards branston tunnel. Any advise for a 70ft canal boat ? My main dear is the Nene as it's getting close to winter and tidal conditions and increasing. 

I think I read its in flood at the moment

If your surveyor missed such obvious defects you should sue him, I wonder what else he missed that could be more serious?

Or didn't you have a surveyor?

Edited by zenataomm
Just got stung by lightening

Thanks everyone

You might get in a pickle in Branston tunnel. :)

• Greenie 2
  • Haha 1

And with the stove, well last night the roof in the stove actually fell out. 

This may not be a problem. There's a top baffle plate between the fire and the flue that just sits on little tangs.  It comes out for cleaning and when you sweep the flue. Check it isn't this that just needs popping back on its brackets. Fingers crossed! :)

If you refer to my earlier post you may run into trouble with stoppages on the Nene, rather than check online phone the relevant department of the environment agency and find out when the stoppages begin - it was around the first of November last year, and only advertised on notice boards near the affected locks.