Mon and Brec electric trip boat

magpie patrick

Featured Posts

Some of you will recall a post I made asking for help with an electric trip boat. Well, charging point arranged and if yesterday's trip anything to go by range problem is fixed.

I was on board from Goytre to Llanfoist,  steering about half of it. Boat is about 60 foot by 8 foot 6, and has a propeller and rudder at both ends. Years ago I steered the same boat on the Neath Canal. It's been to the scrapyard and back since then.

Hats off to MB&ACT for persisting with this, it's at Gilwern festival this weekend and will be a huge promotional asset for them, as well as a good day out for it's passengers.

20190927_124040.jpg

The boat is about as big as will fit on the canal. there is only slightly more room on the other side! The chines on the cabin assist at bridges...

20190927_133102.jpg

It rained, hard, and constantly

20190927_091530.jpg

Home mooring at Goytre

20190927_094715.jpg

The "Front Tiller" when heading towards Brecon.... There are controls at each end, but interlocked so you can only turn one end on at once!

Edited by magpie patrick

It's like a boating pushmepullyou! Looks to be pretty much the business for that use - interesting to hear that it's been to the scrap yard and back (I'm assuming that's not a trip report!). I do however note that, despite the passenger compartment looking almost submarine-like in answer to the local weather, the poor old steerer will still get a full measure of "Brecon sunshine"! I hope you have a sou'wester Patrick! :D

Edited by Sea Dog
Finish typing after it posted itself prematurely!

I love the M&B and have cruised it 3 times on my previous diesel powered cruiser.

Now that I have a small electric cruiser I have not been able to visit.  

Please can you let us know what charging points are available for public use, as opposed to those that are limited to hire boat fleets.

10 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

the poor old steerer will still get a full measure of "Brecon sunshine"! I hope you have a sou'wester Patrick! :D

I've never heard it called that before! :lol::lol:

I was well soggy, one reason I bailed out (if you'e pardon the pun!) at Llanfoist!

1 hour ago, Murflynn said:

steering along the serpentine stretch from Goytre to Llanfoist is a nightmare even in a short boat - your experience must have been very stressful !

The bend at Llanfoist wharf really caught me, even at dead slow! Would have been useful to have had a steerer at each end...

2 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

It's like a boating pushmepullyou! Looks to be pretty much the business for that use - interesting to hear that it's been to the scrap yard and back (I'm assuming that's not a trip report!).

The boat was built by apprentices (I forget where, but in South Wales - Port Talbot?) about forty years ago - it then served for a number of years from Resolven on the Neath, before vandals torched it. After a while it was sold for scrap from whence the Monmouth, Brecon and Abergavenny Canal Trust (MB&ACT) retrieved it and I believe it once again got the attention of apprentices before being launched about two years ago, since when volunteers have been fitting it out and making it go again. 

It's easier to handle  than it looks, although "stately" - I've steered bigger boats, but not in the context of the canal they're on. This thing is a leviathan by M&B standards. I'm hoping they'll take it up Llangynidr locks one day, and that I can be on it when they do :)