Desperate times in Godmanchester.

rusty69

Featured Posts

7 minutes ago, Kiwidad said:

Shhhhhhh 

We did become regulars at pie night and quiz champions 

We only won the quiz when nobody else could get there due to floods, but we did get a really good score

. ....

Pie night was brill..although trying to hear the questions when Viv was in full flow with his jokes was bloody difficult. 

I also really liked the couple who moored in Pillings Marina and loved being there, no problems, Paul is lovely....we did give them some stick

1 hour ago, Slim said:

Go to the Folly, get ######, fall in the canal on the way back to your boat and you've got slight chance of making the local paper {whatever that may be.  :cheers:

That's way too much effort ? I'll run with the getting ###### bit, but how about I just tell the press how close I got to almost falling into the canal, that'd be good enough for a front page story, wouldn't it?:huh:

11 minutes ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

That's way too much effort ? I'll run with the getting ###### bit, but how about I just tell the press how close I got to almost falling into the canal, that'd be good enough for a front page story, wouldn't it?:huh:

6" from an unprotected towpath(edge)....leg grabbing silt and dangerous red clawed American crayfish is guaranteed red top interest.

"I thought that my wellbeing was being like , looked after on the towpaths....innit"

Edited by matty40s
  • Haha 1

Just now, ditchcrawler said:

She said the 62ft (19m) boat was too long to turn around and their only alternative was to travel to a marina, but that would "incur costs".

Oh, I see. It is too long to turn anywhere on the river,even if reversed 300m?

9 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

She said the 62ft (19m) boat was too long to turn around and their only alternative was to travel to a marina, but that would "incur costs".

Not having been there yet (it's on the list for next year) are there depth issues above Godmanchester lock? Google mapping shows the width to be somewhere about 70 feet just above the lock, even I could turn a 62' boat around in that:rolleyes:

image.png.949f58e0c56bb420340800638492c450.png

1 minute ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

Not having been there yet (it's on the list for next year) are there depth issues above Godmanchester lock? Google mapping shows the width to be somewhere about 70 feet just above the lock, even I could turn a 62' boat around in that:rolleyes:

How accurate is Google maps for measuring these small distances? Reason I ask is, I measured a distance using this technique a couple of weeks back. The distance I measured suggested it was do able (forgetting depth). It wasn't. 

6 minutes ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

That's below (downstream) of the lock, which is where they were stuck. From memory, it would be a very tight turn just there, but reverse 300m and you get to where a weir stream joins, and there's plenty of room to turn.

MP.

ETA, being below the lock, it is pretty shallow there.

Edited by MoominPapa

Just now, rusty69 said:

How accurate is Google maps for measuring these small distances? Reason I ask is, I measured a distance using this technique a couple of weeks back. The distance I measured suggested it was do able (forgetting depth). It wasn't. 

I don't think it is accurate to more than a few feet, but on the occasions when I've used it to gauge what I thought might be a tight spot (a 60' boat turning at the end of Dewsbury Cut) my map said maximum length was 57' but google differed, and turned out to be right, it is possible to turn a 60' boat there.

3 minutes ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

I don't think it is accurate to more than a few feet, but on the occasions when I've used it to gauge what I thought might be a tight spot (a 60' boat turning at the end of Dewsbury Cut) my map said maximum length was 57' but google differed, and turned out to be right, it is possible to turn a 60' boat there.

I wonder if it is uniform, across "maps" or made up of different resution photos. 

1 minute ago, rusty69 said:

I wonder if it is uniform, across "maps" or made up of different resution photos. 

Too technical for me:huh: I wouldn't rely on its accuracy to go 5 mile up a canal with no winding holes until the top which google might say it was just possible to turn, but for the Dewsbury Cut, if it had been wrong I'd just have had to have a training session on reversing out.

13 hours ago, Slim said:

Go to the Folly, get ######, fall in the canal on the way back to your boat and you've got slight chance of making the local paper {whatever that may be.  :cheers:

Not a chance the daventry express is full of real news.

( back door lock snapped in attempted break in)

cat bites dog

shortage of guitar strings at canalside shop

On 27/09/2019 at 18:41, Goliath said:

If there wasn’t a pub or an off license nearby I can understand their despair. 

Hopefully they’ve learned a lesson: Always keep a bit of booze on board. 

The Royal Oak is about 6 minutes walk and serves a good pint. Fish and Chip shop almost next door, as is a Tesco Express.

On 27/09/2019 at 16:42, Wanderer Vagabond said:

More to the point, did you read that they are running out of water and the toilet is almost full?

It's still legal to empty your sewage tanks into the Great Ouse. 

On 27/09/2019 at 19:02, magpie patrick said:

To quote

"She said the 62ft (19m) boat was too long to turn around and their only alternative was to travel to a marina..."

They're stuck at a lock, if they can't turn round they can't even reach a marina, and if they can turn round then other options become available

Or is their real gripe that they couldn't pronounce where they were - good job boats don't get stuck in Frome.... 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-somerset-49813249

(Tha's Frome, F-R-O-O-M...)

It would only be a 200 yard reverse to the outlet from the wier stream then back to Huntingdon for water of Hartford Marina for water and elsan, both provided free.

Edited by pearley
  • Greenie 1

5 hours ago, Scholar Gypsy said:

My sailing dinghy is in the dinghy park alongside that pub, I hope it hasn't drifted out with the tide:unsure:. It does beg the question of who the muppet was who didn't shut the flood gate (visible in the daylight photo), installed at great expense to prevent such events.

9 hours ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

My sailing dinghy is in the dinghy park alongside that pub, I hope it hasn't drifted out with the tide:unsure:. It does beg the question of who the muppet was who didn't shut the flood gate (visible in the daylight photo), installed at great expense to prevent such events.

Is it a wanderer dinghy? 

Very high tide due here in the next hour. Wish I had pulled my sailing dinghy up a bit further. Webcam:

http://www.wellsharbour.co.uk/cam/index.htm

Already the water is in the car park at 0715

Edited by rusty69

1 hour ago, rusty69 said:

Is it a wanderer dinghy? 

Very high tide due here in the next hour. Wish I had pulled my sailing dinghy up a bit further. Webcam:

http://www.wellsharbour.co.uk/cam/index.htm

Already the water is in the car park at 0715

Yes, I hope it hasn't:unsure: (especially as I'm a long way from being able to check on it at the moment).

Edited by Wanderer Vagabond