Desperate times in Godmanchester.

rusty69

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, roland elsdon said:

I think desperate is when the boat sinks, your cat dies, Boris is pM and the string on your guitar breaks, not when a lock 8 miles from home is temp shut... must have had a charmed life til then

Forget the first three, trying to find a shop that sells guitar strings anywhere near the canal is now a nightmare. And when you look through all your old sets, it's always the one that's broke what you haven't got.

• Greenie 1

This is the worst story I've ever heard. Security reasons? What security reasons? It's not exactly a slow news day, all sorts is going on. And neither was yesterday. This must be the work of a placement student.

Just now, Arthur Marshall said:

Forget the first three, trying to find a shop that sells guitar strings anywhere near the canal is now a nightmare. And when you look through all your old sets, it's always the one that's broke what you haven't got.

You should get an emergency penny whistle for moments like that.

52 minutes ago, NB Caelmiri said:

This is the worst story I've ever heard. Security reasons? What security reasons?

Despite looking sleepy, idyllic, add clichés to taste, God! Manchester has had its share of anti-social behaviour problems,; whether these include damage or break-ins to boats I don't know.

1 hour ago, Arthur Marshall said:

There’s a moral there somewhere...

3 hours ago, David Mack said:

According to the AoL report (https://www.aol.co.uk/news/2019/09/26/couple-travelling-on-narrowboat-left-stranded-for-four-days-due/?guccounter=2) they have had to put their business on hold, yet they won't go into a marina because it would incur costs. Their business can't make much money then!

That’s what I though, £10 a night in a marina is worth more than any inconvenience to their business.  I don’t think there is any truth in the story at all, just a load of winging about nothing.

11 minutes ago, WotEver said:

There’s a moral there somewhere...

Yep buy them in bulk from eBay 

55 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

The clue is in the location -- Cambridgeshire. Nothing ever happens there.

If there wasn’t a pub or an off license nearby I can understand their despair. 

Hopefully they’ve learned a lesson: Always keep a bit of booze on board. 

2 hours ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

I have to say that when I read that story I couldn't figure out how they'd managed to interest the press in such a complete non-story. I've had to stay moored here at Napton all day because it's raining, where can I send my 'story' to?:rolleyes:.

Go to the Folly, get ######, fall in the canal on the way back to your boat and you've got slight chance of making the local paper {whatever that may be.  :cheers:

Brilliant, I just watched the video at the top of the AOL article.....drama....cant bring a van 8 miles.....compromising our business....lack of infrastructure....

He he

Desperate times would have been going down on to the Trent in flood with no fuel....."but theres 3" of fuel in the tank..."...cough...?

Or tying too tight when the water rises by 2 feet in 2 hours at Barrow....

Edited by matty40s

To quote

"She said the 62ft (19m) boat was too long to turn around and their only alternative was to travel to a marina..."

They're stuck at a lock, if they can't turn round they can't even reach a marina, and if they can turn round then other options become available

Or is their real gripe that they couldn't pronounce where they were - good job boats don't get stuck in Frome.... 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-somerset-49813249

(Tha's Frome, F-R-O-O-M...)

4 hours ago, Kiwidad said:

Oh my word. The poor couple. 5 whole days! Try 6 weeks moored next to matty40s ?

I cant understand why you stayed, I had already been there 6 weeks and you got an overstay notice less than 24 hours after mooring in front of me....dont you realise I have a special BW/CRT licence.....?

• Happy 1

Pitiful

theres people  sleeping on the streets and these plonkers think a few days waiting for a lock is ‘desperate ‘ 

do crt have the power to forcibly remove boats from people for their own safety....

or the EA on EA waters !

Edited by jonathanA
Missed it was ea not crt waterway

1 minute ago, jonathanA said:

do crt have the power to forcibly remove boats from people for their own safety....

Not on EA waters ..no..

But if you're on about Kiwidad....they've tried, oh, they've tried...but he kept outwitting them by putting diesel in his tank and getting his name painted out on his boat...

Edited by matty40s
  • Greenie 1

4 hours ago, David Mack said:

According to the AoL report (https://www.aol.co.uk/news/2019/09/26/couple-travelling-on-narrowboat-left-stranded-for-four-days-due/?guccounter=2) they have had to put their business on hold, yet they won't go into a marina because it would incur costs. Their business can't make much money then!

But how would they have got to the marina if they were against the lock and couldn't turn round ?

Just as well they weren’t out on the Middlewich Branch last year then.  You can imagine the story, can’t you?  “Our circuit of the Four Counties Ring was force on hold for ten months.  We could have turned round and gone the other way, but that would have involved thought and effort.  So now we are taking the CRT to court for the £10.77 loss of profit from our business.  Does anyone know how much it costs to file a small claim?”

Edited by The Dreamer

1 hour ago, matty40s said:

Brilliant, I just watched the video at the top of the AOL article.....drama....cant bring a van 8 miles.....compromising our business....lack of infrastructure....

He he

Desperate times would have been going down on to the Trent in flood with no fuel....."but theres 3" of fuel in the tank..."...cough...?

Shhhhhhh 

1 hour ago, matty40s said:

He he

We did become regulars at pie night and quiz champions 

• Happy 1