A complete Idiot

luggsy

Featured Posts

I'd need a wee bit more info, before I passed judgement.  Presumably he was on a river section with a bit of fresh on and trying to get onto a cut?  If that's correct he should have been able to reach safe haven without all that feetmark.

45 minutes ago, NB Esk said:

I'd need a wee bit more info, before I passed judgement.  Presumably he was on a river section with a bit of fresh on and trying to get onto a cut?  If that's correct he should have been able to reach safe haven without all that feetmark.

He was 700' off the main channel of the river, in a canal section, so would be perfectly safe just above the gates. A few hundred yards upstream are some nice floating pontoons, and also Trent lock which gives access to the Erewash, a third safe haven.

Unlike some locations, these are flood gates (one pair of gates) not a flood lock (with two pairs of gates).

Edited by Scholar Gypsy
  • Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, Scholar Gypsy said:

He was 700' off the main channel of the river, in a canal section, so would be perfectly safe just above the gates. A few hundred yards upstream are some nice floating pontoons, and also Trent lock which gives access to the Erewash, a third safe haven.

Unlike some locations, these are flood gates (one pair of gates) not a flood lock (with two pairs of gates).

Ah, okay, thanks for that.

9 hours ago, Paul C said:

Had they made the length of rope longer, it would have worked because the majority of the force comes from the momentum of the boat, not the engine (although it adds a little). (Longer rope, more acceleration backwards etc).

It did seem that they had a reasonable length of rope, as they reversed quite a bit before it started to pull the boat across. It looks like they applied some considerable force, given the way that the boat rocked about when the rope snapped taut.

It must have been very likely that they left one of the other three directions (or even turned around?) without checking that the flood gates were open - OK, so today CaRT generally rely on boaters reading the online messages, but email notification is not that difficult!  

Had they actually broken the gate - which fortunately looks from the video to be quite new - then there would have been a lot of consternation further down as it protects that cut against high water levels from the river, does it not? However, note that the gate paddle was open so I guess it might be that the river was at a point when a level was soon to be made and they were a tad over-keen to make progress.

I've never been there when they actually re-open the cut after a closure, which does happen quite a bit, but I guess that there comes a point when it is necessary to let some water into the cut to compensate for what might have been lost at the other end. Canals cannot be hurried!

More info needed before reaching judgement.

1 hour ago, tree monkey said:

Yes, apparently the original poster of the vid on FB said CRT have been informed and given the video 

Good. Hopefully they'll have a word with this guy. Not sure there's much else they can do though.

Spanish windlass round the balance beams would have been the less dramatic way to go.  Thing that was really cringeworthy was that windlass stuffed down his back, unless the boat was wheelchair friendly.

• Greenie 1

7 minutes ago, zenataomm said:

Just seen what????

Trying to break open the locked flood-gates by tying a rope around them and reversing at full throttle.

"He has the right to navigate and locked gates cannot stop him - yes he knows they are locked for a reason, and yes he knows it is at his own risk, and yeas he knows he will not be insured"

Thanks everyone, that link wasn't there when I read it first.

He's not only stupid, selfish, a vandal etc. etc. He is ignorant, he has a river in flood behind him (two actually, Trent and Soar) so: -

Even if he did manage to pull The Cranfleet Flood Gate open wide enough to get the nose of his boat into the gap, he'd not triumphantly motor through, the gate would viciously pin him to the concrete as the pressure of 100s of tons of rapid flowing river would proceed to shut it again regardless of his boat being in the way.

Much more fun would have been achieved though if he'd gotten to the point of realising the breaking strain of his front rope or the weld holding his T stud on was bound to give way long before the gate moved. The parting of the ways of course would happen in hard reverse with his back end slewed across and facing either Armco or rocky shallows.  Perhaps paying for a docking and replacing his rudder. prop and shaft might have refocussed his self competence opinion better than this forum and thread.

I need to keep Stupid People at a great distance from me.

• Greenie 2

On 27/09/2019 at 12:03, David Mack said:

Prosecution for breaking byelaw 25(a)

I very much doubt if he has 'broken the law' as Rule 25 (A) states ;

Operation of locks

25. No person shall:
(a) Open or close or attempt to open or close the gate of any lock
except by the means provided for that purpose or before the
water is level on both sides of the gate.

The gates he was trying to open were not lock gates.

The intent is obviously there, but, the law relates to 'LOCKS', it does not appear to refer to "flood-gates" (it would cover a flood-lock' but these are just a single pair of gates, similar to several others along the Trent).

21 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Operation of locks

25. No person shall:

The intent is obviously there, but, the law relates to 'LOCKS', it does not appear to refer to "flood-gates" (it would cover a flood-lock' but these are just a single pair of gates, similar to several others along the Trent).

Well spotted. Maybe 13 or the final part of 50 may be more appropriate if it is decided to take action against the boater?

Howard

42 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Operation of locks

25. No person shall:

I would not advise anyone on assuming that m'lud would see it that way - they are not known for being that informed about boating niceties, are they?