Switch stern glands

1agos

Featured Posts

I'm thinking of switching out my Vetus water lubricated stern bearing for a  conventional  grease system.

Has anyone had this done ?

What was involved.?

What were the costs ?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

My boat had this done before I bought it last year. I dont know the reason why.

There is a receipt in the folder that came with the boat.

It says "Swap out PSS stern gear for conventional stuffing box arrangement" £670 + VAT

This was done last March.

Hope this helps.

My Volvo seal (about 70 quid nowadays) has given 11 years of totally drip free and trouble free service requiring nothing more than a burp when relaunching and a finger of silicone grease every 200 hours. I wouldn't change it for anything. They're not suitable for every application, granted, but you must have a really good reason to want a stuffing box over even a Vetus - what is it?

• Greenie 1

6 hours ago, cuthound said:

Why? My Vetus gland is 12 years old and until recently has performed faultlessly. It has finally worn out.

I am now changing it for a Radiche gland.

http://cheshiremarine.co.uk/page141a.html

The bearing is about 8 years old now and has a bit of play in it .  I have  replaced the double lip seals twice in six years because of leakage., (I do about 400-600hr a year)

I believe this is probably because on my set up (which doesn't have an aquadrive ) the snatchy techno drive gearbox deformed the double lip seal overtime. ( i have changed the gearbox for a PRM150D this year)

Another niggle is from an insurance point of view Vetus state in the maintenance schedule that the system should be inspected every 200/once a year ashore. Mine is only out every two years. Whether insurance  companies would deny a claim or not  because of this  I'm not sure. 

All my previous boats have had grease lube systems and its something I'm very familiar with, as I lift the hatch to check for drips after every cruise  I might as well  turn a greaser. 

6 hours ago, bmp said:

My boat had this done before I bought it last year. I dont know the reason why.

There is a receipt in the folder that came with the boat.

It says "Swap out PSS stern gear for conventional stuffing box arrangement" £670 + VAT

This was done last March.

Hope this helps.

Thankyou .

Very helpful if I get quoted around the same I might afford an aquadrive fitted at the same time.

5 hours ago, Machpoint005 said:

Our first boat had a Vetus gland and it worked just fine. Our current boat has a conventional gland and that works fine too.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. If it (the Vetus gland) is broke, you'll have to get a new one anyway.

On the right set up they do work perfectly well.

Mine has to come out  so so might as well have something I'm happy with.