The Prendergast File

2uluru

Featured Posts

Pretty sure there was a shot of the Buckingham arm at cosgrove. In the 70’s the Northampton branch of IWA objected to a bridge which would cross the arm at a low level as part of the A5 bypass of Stoney Stratford. We started from the cosgrove end clearing the bed and found the old Stoney wharf where the steam boats which were built there were launched. A gentleman who lived in a cottage there remembered them being brought up the A5 towed by a traction engine before being sent down the cut to London docks.

we went to the inquiry into the road but lost our objection to the bridge.

This film is given as produced in 1964, but the questions must include when and where the images were taken. The boats are also of interest and include the BW 240 (Bordesley) and Willow Wren pair,

Stills from this film would be of interest to historians  

• Greenie 1

46 minutes ago, Heartland said:

This film is given as produced in 1964, but the questions must include when and where the images were taken. The boats are also of interest and include the BW 240 (Bordesley) and Willow Wren pair,

The film was produced by four friends in 1964, one (Geoffrey Hart) being the father of the university friend who got me into canals back in 1965.  It was Geoffrey, I believe, who wrote the script.  We at Audlem Mill released the film as a DVD a while ago, although we sold out a couple of weeks ago.  We can get more done if anybody's interested.

The film was shot about 1962-63; it took a while to process the film and release it.

• Greenie 3

1 minute ago, Hastings said:

The film was produced by four friends in 1964, one (Geoffrey Hart) being the father of the university friend who got me into canals back in 1965.  It was Geoffrey, I believe, who wrote the script.  We at Audlem Mill released the film as a DVD a while ago, although we sold out a couple of weeks ago.  We can get more done if anybody's interested.

The film was shot about 1962-63; it took a while to process the film and release it.

Some extracts of this film must be post March 1963 as QUAIL (owned by Willow Wren) is paired with SATELLITE (leased from British Waterways Board), and seen turning into the Northampton Arm at Gayton :captain:

• Greenie 2

1 hour ago, Heartland said:

Most of the locations are easily identifiable, and most of the boats are listed earlier in this thread including BERGEN, BORDESLEY, MALTA, RAIL, REDSHANK, QUAIL and SATELLITE :captain:

Edited by pete harrison
  • Greenie 1

2 hours ago, Hastings said:

Count me in please.

All good fun. The film makers clearly followed their title character's remit and visited many places right along the GU.

Hatton near the start, Brentford near the end; is it all in a north to south sequence?

I'm fairly sure that from about 3:30 to 4:50 was all filmed at Stoke Bruerne; I was in The Boat there yesterday.

Likewise the Globe Inn (at 06:39) has got to be at Leighton Buzzard, just googled it and the frontage looks unchanged.

The EAFA site says:

Featured Buildings:

The Boat Free House [location unknown] The Globe Inn [location unknown] ...

• Greenie 1

9 hours ago, Hastings said:

I'll get some DVDs ordered, then let you know.

Peter

Yes please for DVD as well thank you.

9 hours ago, Peter X said:

All good fun. The film makers clearly followed their title character's remit and visited many places right along the GU.

Hatton near the start, Brentford near the end; is it all in a north to south sequence?

I'm fairly sure that from about 3:30 to 4:50 was all filmed at Stoke Bruerne; I was in The Boat there yesterday.

Likewise the Globe Inn (at 06:39) has got to be at Leighton Buzzard, just googled it and the frontage looks unchanged.

The EAFA site says:

Featured Buildings:

The Boat Free House [location unknown] The Globe Inn [location unknown] ...

It is Stoke Bruerne for the Boat and the lock keeper is the late Jack James

The film will not run on my computer, I have Windows 10 and have tried it in both Firefox and Internet Explorer without any success. All that comes up is a picture of a bowler hatted man standing on a butty,  with a revolving wheel in the centre of the picture.

Edited by David Schweizer

3 hours ago, David Schweizer said:

The film will not run on my computer, I have Windows 10 and have tried it in both Firefox and Internet Explorer without any success. All that comes up is a picture of a bowler hatted man standing on a butty,  with a revolving wheel in the centre of the picture.

Nor on mine, although I had assumed that was because I'm not in the UK. But... If you search YouTube for the film title you will find it (the first minute or so is flaky, but the rest is fine).

I enjoyed seeing the run-down environment with the random (and inappropriate by current standards) boats that were so wonderful.

Where was the lock overspillling?   7.33.

10 hours ago, David Schweizer said:

Adobe Flash player up to date?

12 hours ago, David Schweizer said:

I'm running W10 and it works fine here.
Excellent spoof film with some fine historic scenes.

6 hours ago, mark99 said:

Where was the lock overspillling?   7.33.

Adobe Flash player up to date?

I don't have Flash player. I uninstalled it because it was causing so many malware problems. I have no intention of re installing it.

13 hours ago, GilesMorris said:

If you search YouTube for the film title you will find it (the first minute or so is flaky, but the rest is fine).

Any chance of a link, I cannot find it.

11 minutes ago, David Schweizer said:

I don't have Flash player. I uninstalled it because it was causing so many malware problems. I have no intention of re installing it.

Any chance of a link, I cannot find it.

Okay ish after 1 minute 20 seconds

Edited by Ray T
  • Greenie 1

7 minutes ago, pete harrison said:

Apart from the film running backwards :captain:

Indeed - too easy wasn't it! And I fancy that was Cassio lock at 8:18. The shot immediately after with the boat leaving shows the little bridge and offside that looks right.

On 01/10/2019 at 19:52, Derek R. said:

Indeed - too easy wasn't it! And I fancy that was Cassio lock at 8:18. The shot immediately after with the boat leaving shows the little bridge and offside that looks right.

Agree Derek. The stone steps match the modern image of the lock.