Foil bubble wrap is not insulation.

Featured Posts

The misconceptions and bogus advertising of foil bubble wrap still goes on apparently, please be aware that foil bubble wrap was never created to replace insulation materiels and has far less insulating properties than the same thickness of a real insulation such as polystyrene, PU foam or rock wool, even cardboard. Nailing a wool blanket to the wall would provide more insulation than foil bubble used on its own.

Foil bubble wrap is a RADIANT BARRIER which is designed to reflect radiant heat in conjunction with thick insulation materiel which slows heat transfer by conduction, it is an add on product to ( marginally ) increase the performance of insulation, mostly in roof spaces, the actual bubble wrap is just a convenient and cheap carrier for the reflective foil its not meant to do anything else except stop it ripping and making it easy to staple to rafters.

There are too many websites to list that explain this better than I can,  so I leave it up to you if you want to Google it.

shit

for the last 4 and a half years i have been gluing all the bubble wrap and bubble parcels delivered by Amazon and others to the outside and inside of my boat as i thought it was a cheap and simple double and triple insulation system which nobody else had considered.

I am duly admonished - and shall peel it all off tomorrow.

I receive frozen dog meat sent by courier.  It comes in a flimsy cardboard box, with the frozen meat parcels bagged together and wrapped in foil bubble wrap which I measured to be max 3mm thick (the bubbles that is).  My last consignment received within one day of dispatch on a cold day was well thawing out.  When I queried this with the supplier they said they used an insulation system guaranteed to keep the food frozen for 48 hours.  I explained to the good lady that foil is not an insulator, but I might as well have been speaking to the wall.   She is an NHS nurse who also runs the food shop.  I'll bet she thinks that wrapping a patient in foil proves that it is good insulation.  She point blank refused to believe that 20mm of polystyrene packing, as used by other suppliers, is better than her foil system. 

51 minutes ago, Murflynn said:

I receive frozen dog meat sent by courier.  It comes in a flimsy cardboard box, with the frozen meat parcels bagged together and wrapped in foil bubble wrap which I measured to be max 3mm thick (the bubbles that is).  My last consignment received within one day of dispatch on a cold day was well thawing out.  When I queried this with the supplier they said they used an insulation system guaranteed to keep the food frozen for 48 hours.  I explained to the good lady that foil is not an insulator, but I might as well have been speaking to the wall.   She is an NHS nurse who also runs the food shop.  I'll bet she thinks that wrapping a patient in foil proves that it is good insulation.  She point blank refused to believe that 20mm of polystyrene packing, as used by other suppliers, is better than her foil system. 

If you are passing, drop in for a proper meal. Its terrible that due to austerity you have to eat dog meat, are you happy eating someones pets?

A bit of confusion here.  The OP was pointing out that the foil on the bubble wrap was not meant as insulation.  Bubble wrap certainly does insulate - it just depends how many layers.  I have carried frozen food to the boat for up to 8 hours on a hot summers day wrapped in 3 layers of bubble wrap (about 25mm), with it still frozen when I arrive.  I wouldn't expect it to be after 48 hours, nor with any other insulation system.  

40 minutes ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

A bit of confusion here.  The OP was pointing out that the foil on the bubble wrap was not meant as insulation.  Bubble wrap certainly does insulate - it just depends how many layers.  I have carried frozen food to the boat for up to 8 hours on a hot summers day wrapped in 3 layers of bubble wrap (about 25mm), with it still frozen when I arrive.  I wouldn't expect it to be after 48 hours, nor with any other insulation system.  

you might be surprised, last time we went down the thames we took a polystyrene box (40mm thick) full of frozen food with us, this was stored under the cratch and kept closed apart from the few seconds when something was removed, it kept everything frozen for 6 days in july temperatures