Now need to book Keadby Lock in advance.

Alan de Enfield

Featured Posts

I could ask you how you know how much progress you would make wearing full welding PPE if you have not worn it, but I won't

I hope you never have reason to regret your choice. Accidents happen and a moment's lapse in concentration can be life changing. You have made your choice based on you being a "strong swimmer" I mainly want other people reading this to realise that just because you might be a strong swimmer in a warm sea wearing your budgie smugglers doesn't mean to say you could save yourself fully clothed in a strong tidal current in a cold river.

• Greenie 1

Glad you didnt ask, as the potential question implies that you didn't correctly read what I wrote.

Agreed, if someone is not confident that their swimming strengths mitigate the risk of drowning, if you were to fall in, then that someone should decided if they want to use some artificial aid to assist buoyancy.

Additionally, some other may see the use of only a lifejacket to be insufficient to remove the risk and may wish to be safer by wearing a safety harness and being clipped on to the boat. I dare say others will also insist on helmets too, to protect against the hitting of heads you highlighted earlier; as a life jacket may not be much use in this situation if it's not the right type i.e. may not turn the body face up

and thanks, I hope I don't too! I also hope you don't regret the various safety choices you have made. i.e. full high sided deck railings, life jacket, clipping on, continuous clipping down gunnel length, helmet use etc

15 minutes ago, sirweste said:

as a life jacket may not be much use in this situation if it's not the right type i.e. may not turn the body face up

Anything called a LIFEJACKET MUST turn you face up within 10 seconds and keep your airways a minimum of 8cm above the water, it is part of the specification of a Lifejacket - if it doesn't its not a Lifejacket.

Buoyancy aids are often used in Lieu of a lifejacket (they are cheaper), however buoyancy aids are 'just that' - they are designed to give you additional buoyancy when water do-nutting, skiing etc.

Buoyancy aids are inherently dangerous and the reason they should not be used as lifejackets is that the majority of the buoyancy is on the 'back' of the waistcoat / jacket and as the buoyancy wants to be 'on the top' of the water it will actually turn the casualty face-down in the water.

It is important to both use the correct terminology, and appreciate the difference.

10 minutes ago, sirweste said:

Ah cool, cheers for the terminology clear up. The RNLI have it wrong if you're correct.

As  matter of interest I wear both a 275N lifejacket and (when the only one on deck / on watch) I am attached by a safety strap when coastal / offshore.

Which part are you suggesting either I or the RNLI have 'got it wrong ?

From the RYA website :

What is the difference between buoyancy aids and lifejackets?

Buoyancy aids are simply that - an aid to buoyancy that generally relies on help being close at hand.

It assumes that the wearer is able to help themselves to some degree by swimming to safety or by keeping themselves afloat while assistance arrives if required.

Buoyancy aids are suitable for personal watercraft (PWC), dinghies, windsurfing and generally for activities where the wearer might reasonably expect to end up in the water.

A lifejacket is intended for use where a high standard of performance is required. It will turn an unconscious person into a safe position and requires no subsequent action by the user to maintain this position.

You should consider whether an automatic lifejacket or manual inflate lifejacket, both with sprayhood, light and whistle, is appropriate to the boating activity you are undertaking.  Ideally you should fit or buy a lifejacket that is fitted with crotch straps; these will stop the lifejacket riding up over your head.  You should also consider a lifejacket that is fitted with dye-markers and personal locator beacon to aid location and harness D ring for harness attachment to stop you falling off in the first place.

Lifejackets are suitable when on an open boat (e.g. powerboat or RIB), when going ashore in a yacht tender, on a sailing yacht or motor cruiser and generally where you do not expect to enter the water.

Lifejackets come in different styles and sizes and some will work better for different body styles than others.  Where possible test your lifejacket in a controlled environment to check that it will work for you