Now need to book Keadby Lock in advance.

Alan de Enfield

Featured Posts

2 minutes ago, MartynG said:

I think it’s unfortunate that C&RT don’t insist on a VHF being demonstrated to be on board and working before allowing a boat onto the tidal river.

Not to mention life jackets being worn.

But if you are going to Keadby don’t ABP require VHF downstream of Gainsborough.  Not that anyone is going to check I know, but presumably if anything happened your insurance would be void.

19 minutes ago, john6767 said:

But if you are going to Keadby don’t ABP require VHF downstream of Gainsborough.  Not that anyone is going to check I know, but presumably if anything happened your insurance would be void.

For any boat over 12 metres in length :

The VHF must be continuously monitored (Bye Law 9)

You are supposed to call (on VHF)  VTS to inform them of your arrival in their waters and inform them of your intentions/destination. (Bye Law 7)

APB also do not allow single-handing there must be at least one other person aboard (Bye Law 11)

The boat must also have a minimum of 1 suitable anchor ready for immediate deployment (Bye Law 28)

Edited by Alan de Enfield

46 minutes ago, john6767 said:

I have never gone without a working  VHF so its not an issue for me .

But yes it could be an issue

30 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

APB also do not allow single-handing there must be at least one other person aboard (Bye Law 11)

That's correct and ABP  do insist of a working VHF being proven before they let you enter the lock from the dock (at Goole) ... or they did last time I went out of ocean lock which must have been more than 5 years ago.

1 hour ago, noddyboater said:

It doesn’t stop hundreds of boats every year using the river without it

Evidence?

8 minutes ago, MartynG said:

Evidence?

I have none. Just going on experience, talking to people etc. Having moored/lived at West Stockwith basin and seen the state of some of the boats passing through, VHF is probably the last thing on their mind. 

I have never used it, but managed to navigate the Trent quite safely for the last 20 odd years. In fact I’ve often done it single handed (as do others) so that’s my insurance null and void!  I rarely go past Stockwith now as Keadby is not exactly my idea of a holiday destination, but of course if did venture further I’d use it. 

By the way you still haven’t told me why the plonker at Keadby didn’t let me up then open the top gates and shuffle us with the waiting boat. Maybe he thought we were indeed both wide beam..

4 minutes ago, noddyboater said:

You still haven’t told me why the plonker at Keadby didn’t let me up then open the top gates and shuffle us with the waiting boat. Maybe he thought we were indeed both wide beam..

Probably because he thought  there was a bigger plonker outside .

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

For any boat over 12 metres in length :

The VHF must be continuously monitored (Bye Law 9)

You are supposed to call (on VHF)  VTS to inform them of your arrival in their waters and inform them of your intentions/destination. (Bye Law 7)

The boat must also have a minimum of 1 suitable anchor ready for immediate deployment (Bye Law 28)

(Sigh of relief) Good.   I'm OK singlehanded and without VHF.

Because my boat is only 8.2 metres long. :)

25 minutes ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

(Sigh of relief) Good.   I'm OK singlehanded and without VHF.

Because my boat is only 8.2 metres long. :)

I'm 10.97 metres but work on the principle that a few mm won't make much difference so 'stick to the rules'.

The other boat is 11.58 metres - and - we have been called up on the VHF when we didn't show up on the AIS and we hadn't called up when we left Hull Marina.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

18 minutes ago, MartynG said:

Probably because he thought  there was a bigger plonker outside .

Ha! Good one. 

No, it was because he didn’t think to do it, or it wasn’t in his list of how to safely operate the lock, or mentioned in his half day of pre-job training. 

I think we’ll leave this here though, as my intentions were to warn people and not to end up bickering about an event years ago that only one of us was present.

Unless of course you are the lock keeper. 

This document, https://nabo.org.uk/files/members/trent_sg.pdf , from 2009 says: 

"BOOKING and MAKING PASSAGE 

Give 24 hours notice to the keepers before using the tidal locks. "

So it seems that the need to book existed long before CRT, and so the reason given by nbw is nonsense.

(the article has been edited to remove the misleading photo of a completely different river)

4 hours ago, MartynG said:

I think it’s unfortunate that C&RT don’t insist on a VHF being demonstrated to be on board and working before allowing a boat onto the tidal river.

Not to mention life jackets being worn.

I think I can decide if I want to wear a  life jacket or not.  

11 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Yes I do decide

I decided some time ago  to wear a lifejacket at all times when under  way on the river.  As does my chief officer. What do you usually decide?

4 minutes ago, matty40s said:

which is what I tried to point out to Cheshire Rose but it didnt seem to register.

Sometimes you have to tell them what you are going to tell them, then you tell them , then you may need to  tell them what you told them. 

40 minutes ago, MartynG said:

I decided some time ago  to wear a lifejacket at all times when under  way on the river.  As does my chief officer. What do you usually decide?

We decide not to, but if I was single handing then I would at all times. I am very conscious now that I am getting on a bit the dangers of falling in and take more care than when I was younger but I would say the risk of falling in on a river is far less than a canal. But that is just my risk assessment.

8 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

We decide not to, but if I was single handing then I would at all times. I am very conscious now that I am getting on a bit the dangers of falling in and take more care than when I was younger but I would say the risk of falling in on a river is far less than a canal. But that is just my risk assessment.

The consequences of  falling in are much greater on the River Trent than they are on a shallow  canal.

I do understand why lifejackets are optional on a shallow  canal.  But it concerns me to see people on boats on the river with no lifejacket. 

My boat is sea boat. I am far safer at the helm than on any narrowboat . Yet I wear a lifejacket.

If the chief officer fell in and I fell in trying to rescue her we would both benefit from the lifejacets .

I haven't fallen in but then I have never had a car accident in 40 years of driving ....but I wear a seat belt.

Same with smoking ...   I did smoke but gave them up in Septembet 2013. I remember the day. 

Things do change. People may change their minds, change their habits.  A lifejacket is useless unless worn . So please do change your mind and wear the life jacket when under way on the river.

4 minutes ago, sirweste said:

Must admit when I was on the Ouse and Nene I never wore one, seemed like quite a faff for the risk involved. Though I am a relatively young and a strong swimmer.

How strongly can you swim if you have bumped your head on the way in and become unconcious?

Being a strong swimmer is good but is that fully clothed and in cold water or in the swimming baths or the med when on holiday?

Just now, cheshire~rose said:

How strongly can you swim if you have bumped your head on the way in and become unconcious?

Being a strong swimmer is good but is that fully clothed and in cold water or in the swimming baths or the med when on holiday?

Apologies for contributing to taking the thread off topic.

If you're unconscious then you lose all motor function due to lack of consciousness. So you cannot swim if you're unconscious.

Both really. Though obviously I'd make more progress through the water naked in a swimming pool vs fully dressed in welding PPE.

2 minutes ago, sirweste said:

Apologies for contributing to taking the thread off topic.

If you're unconscious then you lose all motor function due to lack of consciousness. So you cannot swim if you're unconscious.

Both really. Though obviously I'd make more progress through the water naked in a swimming pool vs fully dressed in welding PPE.

You wear full welding PPE but find putting a life jacket on "a bit of a faff"

Each to their own