Its that time of year again

peterboat

Featured Posts

On 25/09/2019 at 16:56, peterboat said:

So I bought my ton of anthracite for £320 delivered to the boat, first shovel full on and its burning grand in the Rayburn, anybody else bought their winters supply and what is it and what did you pay?

Hang on a minute....I thought solar supplied all your needs & you were as green as grass?? If you have a Rayburn that’s not really the case is it!! 

40 minutes ago, frangar said:

Hang on a minute....I thought solar supplied all your needs & you were as green as grass?? If you have a Rayburn that’s not really the case is it!! 

36 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

.... and the whispergen:)

The whispergen is for emergencies and even yesterday I was getting 80 amps in from the solar the Rayburn does cooking hot water and central heating in the winter, I use wood and the ton of anthracite, even on my worse day I am probably twice as clean as most people on boats. What you have to ask yourselves is how much have you spent of fuel to move this year? because I have spent nowt

48 minutes ago, peterboat said:

Good, I dream of having a sailing boat but I am to old now, I did 6 months from Australia back to the UK it was the best time of my life easily

I used to like sailing, its no good now. The bloody things heel over and spills yer beer!!

Still got two sacks of Newheat from last year on top of the boat. Definitely need to stock up soon though, I'll have to find a local provisioner of coal up in Leeds, unless anyone can suggest anything?

1 hour ago, NB Caelmiri said:

Still got two sacks of Newheat from last year on top of the boat. Definitely need to stock up soon though, I'll have to find a local provisioner of coal up in Leeds, unless anyone can suggest anything?

Just Google local coal merchants,  I find them much cheaper than marinas etc. 

• Greenie 1

5 hours ago, NB Caelmiri said:

If they have spent all summer uncovered do be careful when you lift them!!!!!!

I use Excel in either 20kg or 25kg bags at £8.80 and £11 respectively. Looks like £440 per ton. usually delivered onto the stern of my boat, as few, or as many, bags as I want at each delivery.

I am quite happy for the coal boat, (Liam on Ariel, in my case), to buy by the tonne, or several tonnes, at a time, let me buy as little or as much as I like when he is passing, and take the profit in return for the convenience. It's how the world works. I make my money the way I make it, and am happy to hand some over to other people who make a profit on it.

I cannot imagine how much of a pain in the neck it would be to have a tonne of coal delivered, all at once, taking up space on my mooring :) 

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Richard10002 said:

I use Excel in either 20kg or 25kg bags at £8.80 and £11 respectively. Looks like £440 per ton. usually delivered onto the stern of my boat, as few, or as many, bags as I want at each delivery.

I am quite happy for the coal boat, (Liam on Ariel, in my case), to buy by the tonne, or several tonnes, at a time, let me buy as little or as much as I like when he is passing, and take the profit in return for the convenience. It's how the world works. I make my money the way I make it, and am happy to hand some over to other people who make a profit on it.

I cannot imagine how much of a pain in the neck it would be to have a tonne of coal delivered, all at once, taking up space on my mooring 

I am lucky I have a big mooring plus the coal bunker holds 300 kilos, the coal merchants also give me a better price for a ton and it's delivered into the bunker so no hassle 

• 4 weeks later...

I use Homefire Ovals, think they are somehting like £13 for 25kg. Usually buy 10 or so off fuelboat Jules when they pass (which is this Saturday) 

As others have said, the faff of buying in bulk ain't worth it. I also much prefer to give me money to working boats than marinas / merchants

Edited by sirweste
  • Greenie 1

On 29/09/2019 at 00:43, peterboat said:

I am lucky I have a big mooring plus the coal bunker holds 300 kilos, the coal merchants also give me a better price for a ton and it's delivered into the bunker so no hassle 

But..but..  300kg is only a third (or less) of anyone's ton(ne)! How do they get the other 2/3rds into that bunker?