Its that time of year again

peterboat

Featured Posts

5 minutes ago, peterboat said:

So I bought my ton of anthracite for £320 delivered to the boat, first shovel full on and its burning grand in the Rayburn, anybody else bought their winters supply and what is it and what did you pay?

Yup, Mark delivered 40 bags of excel during the summer, split between me and BSP, forgot the price unfortunately 

17 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Too soon for us to light the fires yet. Last year a tonne of the black stuff was £310.Hope it hasn't gone up (in smoke) too much this year. 

10 kg bags of Brazier, Blaze still £3.99 a bag at Range, Aldi, B&M. 

45 minutes ago, Boater Sam said:

Our local coalman delivers 50kg anthracite and 50kg eggs in reusable sacks for £39 per delivery.

We burn a mix of the two, found it better.

So 10 deliveries and £390 a tonne. I think that's a fair price.

I prefer my eggs by the half dozen in a box.

2 minutes ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

Well it's not massively oversized - 18"  as opposed to the 14" one i've replaced.  I didn't find it much different to handle.

I found it too tip heavy and the motor struggled to drive it properly.

As it was to be used by a chap with no chainsaw experience I suggested he downsized the bar, more  to stop the tip hitting stuff it shouldn't than the power issue.

Watch the starter dogs don't wear/break it seemed to be a weak point

1 hour ago, tree monkey said:

As it was to be used by a chap with no chainsaw experience I suggested he downsized the bar, more  to stop the tip hitting stuff it shouldn't than the power issue.

Whenever I see a chainsaw for sale I wanna buy it. Mrs Rusty will not let me though. Probably for the best. 

• Greenie 1

Folk are power tool crazy. Around here folk use chainsaws to saw twigs, sanders on tiny spots, angle grinders on tiny spots, Power drill and power screwdriver to deal with one screw. The racket they make can be terrible when simple hand tools would do the small jobs quicker by the time power tools are prepared for action, like filling with petrol, starting it, finding the extension lead, charging a battery, hunting for the lost chuck key, drilling through a hand, sawing a leg off, electrocuting oneself, eyefuls of grit and swarf.  I saw all my winter wood up during early summer mornings with my bowsaw, same blade it came with 20 years ago,  arn't I good. :)

• Greenie 1