Batteries (Oh no not again)

dor

Featured Posts

Just considering a new set of batteries.  Hankook were mentioned on here before, but not much long-term experience.  Numax often get well rated. So it was interesting to compare these two.

Both seem to have identical spec, and visually identical with identical size.  Big difference in price though!

Any comments?

Hankook:   https://www.batterymegastore.co.uk/caravane/leisure-battery-deals/dc31x4.html

Numax:   https://www.tayna.co.uk/leisure-batteries/numax/dc31mf/

Batteries are like cars. In reality there are only four or five manufacturers out there and many use the very same engines anyway. The list is endless. Mazda 6 is a mondeo, Peugeot, citroen etc are the same engines. Many models of car out there are based on for instance the fiesta platform, to include a mazda 3. Badge engineering has been prevelant for many years. Austin 100, Morris 1100 etc etc. Batteries fall into the same sphere. I have said before about the time I attended a burglary at Middlebrook mushrooms in the packing plant. they were packing and labeling mushrooms from the very same pile with stickers for several different supermarket brands, all at differing prices.

The key things on the spec sheet is the number of cycles and weight length and width.  Basically heavier usually means more lead, and the more cycles the longer they will last if looked after well.  If cycles is not on the spec and the weight(for capacity) is low they are unlikely to last long, however well you treat them.  I find that terminal location and length and width are a good way of trimming down the thousands to the tens to chose from. You want the minimum wiring changes and mounting/battery box rebuilds life is just to short otherwise.  My boat is unusual in that the pos and neg terminals are the opposite way round to 80% of batteries so I only have a few to choose from.