Coal Sacks on the Roof

Flibbertigibbet

Featured Posts

A couple of weeks ago I stocked up with half a dozen sacks of Excel, stuck them on the roof, as I had done in the past, and was surprised to find when I took one down that there was a patch where the top coat of paint had been stripped off. (Wrinkled and softened)

Plenty of people seem to store coal on the roof, presumably without problems. It's Rylard enamel paint. What causes this, and is there any way of stopping it?

Just now, Flibbertigibbet said:

A couple of weeks ago I stocked up with half a dozen sacks of Excel, stuck them on the roof, as I had done in the past, and was surprised to find when I took one down that there was a patch where the top coat of paint had been stripped off. (Wrinkled and softened)

Plenty of people seem to store coal on the roof, presumably without problems. It's Rylard enamel paint. What causes this, and is there any way of stopping it?

Mine did exactly the same last year. Will be putting them on something this year. I am sure it never used to happen, so assume the bags have changed. 

Any items left for some time on a cabin top tend to trap damp, persistent damp will cause paint to fail, regardless of make. I’ve seen this countless times over the years. I’ve never been a fan of cluttered cabin tops for this reason. Coils of rope, beloved of many boaters these days, are another culprit. When leaving Resolute the cabin top was always clear of ropes etc. Only the long shaft and gangplank, on moveable timber cradles, were left. No blistering. Hope this helps.

Dave

• Greenie 1

Except for epoxy no paint is 100% waterproof so trapped/standing water will eventually do damage. Never had a big problem with the coiled ropes but bags of coal, even on rubber mats, will give trouble. I have a raddle roof and expect to make some repairs every spring. I put extra coats of paint on in the coal store area, and a good layer of polish, and this helps a lot, but there are still usually one or two little paint bubbles.

..............Dave

• Greenie 1

I used to use coal bags on the roof to level the boat up. Always has a tendency to list to port due to the layout.

After a couple of years, the already not good roof paint was destroyed.

Removed coal and store it ashore now. Painted roof. Bought 3 x 56lb weights to keep boat level.

I don’t know how true it was, but when we first started living aboard in ‘04, we were told never to store coal bags directly on the roof as acids can leach out of the coal and damage the paint. We took to wrapping the bags in a tarp, but it doesn’t avoid the trapped moisture problem. The other solution is to make a dais for them out of inverted bread crates.

20 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

.....and epoxy isnt either. Ok, its the best you can get as a 'normal' coating for water permeation but it still lets a small amount of water/oxygen through.

Your splitting hairs a bit there, its pretty damn good in my limited experience. Nothing is 100% of anything anymore, I blame that Einstein bloke, If Newton had made epoxy it would be 100%, you knew where you stood with Newton.

...............Dave

5 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

100% is.

Nah, that's not true either, footballers and other sportsmen routinely give 110% so where does that leave 100%?, somewhere about 90 I would say.

And we all know that guitar amps go up to 11.

..............Dave