Planning for living costs on a canal boat.

Mick in Bangkok

Featured Posts

I know this question may invoke many questions itself such as preferred living eating standards etc. but please humor us, we are a married couple who eat regular 2-3 meals per day meat & veg, chicken, pork with occasional steak etc, do not overspend but also not on a tight budget.

As we have been for many years overseas and never canal based can some experienced couples give some ball park figures of monthly living budgets more over summer than winter months as I am now refining my overall budget for retirement on a canal boat in the coming year.

Cheers Mick

11 hours ago, Mick in Bangkok said:

I know this question may invoke many questions itself such as preferred living eating standards etc. but please humor us, we are a married couple who eat regular 2-3 meals per day meat & veg, chicken, pork with occasional steak etc, do not overspend but also not on a tight budget.

As we have been for many years overseas and never canal based can some experienced couples give some ball park figures of monthly living budgets more over summer than winter months as I am now refining my overall budget for retirement on a canal boat in the coming year.

Cheers Mick

Your question is not without its merits: whilst, as others have indicated, it is possible to use supermarkets and their delivery services, until recently food costs for boaters would have been higher as it would often be necessary to buy from small village shops with much higher prices. (Historically, of course, scrumping helped to keep costs down!) However, once you know a canal - or use some of the helpful guides which are available and can use internet to locate them, most canals have supermarkets close to the canal at reasonably frequent intervals. The main issue is when you opt to stay in a remote place for a few days (NB < 14!) Also, most boats have much less storage space than you may be used to on land and so shopping is a more frequent need. You may also find that all that fresh air and exercise leads you to increase consumption . . . 

• Greenie 1

The chief officer thinks we spend £60 to £80 per week in supermarkets on the basics. I think that's a bit light.

That would exclude alcohol but we are not big drinkers.

Eating out blows that budget out of the water of course.