EAST MIDLANDS’ WATERWAYS TO GET A WINTER MAKEOVER

Ray T

Featured Posts

Press release

23 September 2019

EAST MIDLANDS’ WATERWAYS TO GET A WINTER MAKEOVER

The Canal & River Trust, the national waterways and wellbeing charity, has announced details of its programme of repairs on waterways across the East Midlands this winter. 

The Trust, is investing around £800,000 over the coming months to replace a number of handcrafted lock gates and carry out repairs to historic waterway structures. The works will start in November and continue until next March.

The programme includes:

·         Replacing and repairing lock gates in Leicester – including new bottom gates at North Lock in Frog Island and gates at Belgrave and Birstall repaired and relined to ensure a watertight seal.

·         An extensive programme of works at Foxton Locks including replacement of three sets of gates and repairs to gates and historic brickwork at several more.

·         Refurbishment of Stamp End Lock in Lincoln – the only ‘guillotine’ lock in the East Midlands, where the gate is lifted overhead rather than opening outwards like conventional gates.

·         Repairs to damaged brickwork at Potters Bridge on the Erewash Canal

·         A new control system to open the giant gates at Holme Lock on the River Trent

·         Repairs to Sawley Flood Lock, which provides protection when the River Trent floods

Phil Mulligan, regional director for the Canal & River Trust, said: “Research tells us that time spent by the water can help us to feel happier and healthier so this programme of works is about far more than bricks and mortar.

“By investing this money over the winter months we’ll not only be protecting the historic fabric of our waterways and making sure that they’re working well for boaters but we’ll also be ensuring that local communities have safe, open waterways to enjoy.

“Our expert teams will be braving the elements to make sure that the waterways, which play such an important part in so many people’s daily lives, are in good working order.”

The lock gates on the East Midlands’ waterways weigh several tonnes and typically last around 25 years. Each new gate is made to measure and handcrafted from seasoned oak so that it fits perfectly in the lock chamber. 

For more information on the works planned on the nations canals this winter visit

www.canalrivertrust.org.uk/media/report/winter-notices.pdf

ends-

For further media requests please contact:

Stephen Hardy, Canal & River Trust

m 07920 077190 e stephen.hardy@canalrivertrust.org.uk 

A makeover in my eyes is just plastering over the cracks, a cosmetic upgrade so it looks better for a short time.

Birstall lock needs far more than lock gate repairs and re-lining....and has done for several years.....it needs a Hurlestone type complete rebuild of the bottom end and bank below to function as it should for many years to come.

Sileby Lock has needed its top cill repairing/replacing for several years now, yet again missed out.

It is difficult to see what value these releases have other than box ticking exercises for someones KPI and bonus realisation.

I'm not knocking you Ray for sticking them on here by the way.

10 minutes ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

I'm surprised that all that can be done for £800K.  But aren't flood locks the responsibility of the EA?  Certainly the ones at Torksey and Selby have been operated by EA bods when I've been there.

The flood lock at Sawley protects a BWML marina amongst other facilities and this work  was probably agreed before the sell off, or some CRT folks are still friends with folks there.

?

I would think the EA generally control when it needs to be closed and opened, rather than are responsible for the upkeep of a navigation structure.

12 minutes ago, matty40s said:

The flood lock at Sawley protects a BWML marina amongst other facilities and this work  was probably agreed before the sell off, or some CRT folks are still friends with folks there.

?

I would think the EA generally control when it needs to be closed and opened, rather than are responsible for the upkeep of a navigation structure.

But flood locks aren't navigation structures, are they?  They are flood defences, and don't facilitate navigation at all - quite the opposite. It seems inequitable that a charity should be responsible for the upkeep of a structure controlled by a government agency.

10 hours ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

But aren't flood locks the responsibility of the EA?  Certainly the ones at Torksey and Selby have been operated by EA bods when I've been there.

The EA dictate when locks are closed to control flooding. 

However the lock at  Torksey is operated by C&RT,as far as passage of boats is concerned......as far as I am aware.

I am pleased to see any ongoing investment in infrastructure . 

On 24/09/2019 at 07:49, MartynG said:

The EA dictate when locks are closed to control flooding. 

However the lock at  Torksey is operated by C&RT,as far as passage of boats is concerned......as far as I am aware.

I am pleased to see any ongoing investment in infrastructure . 

I wasn't talking about the lock at  Torksey, but the outward-pointing floodgates below it.  These are operated by The EA, and the CRT lockie has no control over them.  Similarly the sliding floodgate at Selby (above the lock in this case).  I have seen both operated by EA personnel.   However the floodgates on navigations such as the A&C and C&H are operated by CRT.

3 hours ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

I wasn't talking about the lock at  Torksey, but the outward-pointing floodgates below it.  These are operated by The EA, and the CRT lockie has no control over them.  Similarly the sliding floodgate at Selby (above the lock in this case).  I have seen both operated by EA personnel.   However the floodgates on navigations such as the A&C and C&H are operated by CRT.

We arrived at Torksey on one occasion (from the tidal side) and the Trent was higher than the Fossdyke. Therefore the outer gate was shut.

So we had to wait.

I had assumed the lock keeper operated the outer gate when the ebb made a level with the Fossdyke but seems the EA must have been there too.

• 2 weeks later...

Each time the ‘Feeling good by water’ mantra is rolled out in support of these works, the effort and expense involved is demeaned. It must be surely be possible to drop the ‘marketing speak’, replacing it with the real investment in support of our heritage.

The management and maintenance of the canal real estate is a complex Civil Engineered task; these weak words of support from CRT, fail to do justice the the operation.

An ‘exasperated boater’. 

Edited by Tractor