Decisions of a washer woman

Jennifer McM

Featured Posts

44 minutes ago, Grebe said:

Is there any chance of issues with the control electronics in a new machine not liking the inverter supply?

36 minutes ago, reg said:

A point I was going to make.

My full sized machine will not do the wash cycle via the Victron pure sine wave inverter it just constantly tries to start up. My sisters Candy machine did work. 

Oh.... I guess I could ring the manufacturer to ask the question. We've a Vitron Phoenix 3k inverter.

Edited by Jennifer McM

4 minutes ago, Jennifer McM said:

Oh.... I guess I could ring the manufacturer to ask the question. We've a Victron Phoenix 3k inverter.

My new inverter is a 3000kva vitron and it's a match with the hotpoint washer and some other stuff that didn't work with the vetus 

Edited by peterboat

1 minute ago, peterboat said:

My new inverter is a 3000kw vitron and it's a match with the hotpoint washer and some other stuff that didn't work with the vetus 

Thanks Peter for that information.

We'll soon be passing Springwood Haven, they don't know it yet, but hope they'll do the swap and the carpentry. I'm sure Kevin will advise. ?

5 hours ago, rusty69 said:

Will the replacement run from your current electrical setup? 

We just hang a basket behind the prop. 

And that's the main point!. I presently have a Candy 3.5/4 Kg washing machine which will run, unfailingly off of shorepower, my Mastervolt 2000 w combi or my Pagaro 4 kva cacooned diesel generator. Previously I had a Hoover washer/dryer which ran when it wanted to. It wasn't the dryer part that gave the problems it was the washing side of things. I know (or think i know) the reasons but the end result was a right pain in the ****. 

Instead of going for the most expensive option automatically … check out the cheap and easy first.

OP intimated it's started being noisy and slower on spin, so that suggests it was ok being partnered with that particular inverter before.

If it's of age then the belt may have stretched resulting in slippage, slowing down and noise.  Also have the motor's brushes been renewed ever?  That also could cause erratic running and noisiness.

Even if it's worn out the bearing on the drum, it's not going to cost as much as OP is considering spending on a new machine.

I go to the launderette once every three weeks or so. I put the washing in then go for a pint.

I then move the washing to the dryer.

I then go for another pint.

After collecting the dried washing I celebrate another successful laundry day by having a pint.

I love laundry days !!

• Haha 3

16 minutes ago, NewCanalBoy said:

I go to the launderette once every three weeks or so. I put the washing in then go for a pint.

I then move the washing to the dryer.

I then go for another pint.

After collecting the dried washing I celebrate another successful laundry day by having a pint.

I love laundry days !!

Until one day when you return from the pub to find that your laundry has vanished.

I have a zanussi ZWC 1300W which cost about £350 but it's been a great little machine over the last 14 years. It draws 1600w max so I can run it from shore power or generator if I'm away. But it's a small machine - 3kg load.

My neighbour just bought a new 6kg machine. I can't remember what it is but while it was on the bank side before we lifted it onto his boat I had a look at what it drew and I was quite surprised to see it was only 1800w, only marginally above mine but double the washing load capacity and it only cost £200. Things have definitely improved because 10 years ago that would have been a 2300w or even 2600w machine.

Edited by blackrose
  • Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, blackrose said:

My neighbour just bought a new 6kg machine. I can't remember what it is but while it was on the bank side before we lifted it onto his boat I had a look at what it drew and I was quite surprised to see it was only 1800w, only marginally above mine but double the washing load capacity and it only cost £200. Things have definitely improved because 10 years ago that would have been a 2300w or even 2600w machine.

Does your neighbours machine run from their inverter or shoreline? 

10 hours ago, blackrose said:

I have a zanussi ZWC 1300W which cost about £350 but it's been a great little machine over the last 14 years. It draws 1600w max so I can run it from shore power or generator if I'm away. But it's a small machine - 3kg load.

That's what I'm hoping for, more economy with electric and water, and of course a better spin.

11 hours ago, blackrose said:

Our ZWC1300 needed a new drum bearing, which apparently comes with the drum, when it was less than s year old. The engineer refused to repair it on the boat so took it away for a fortnight to his workshop. When the bearing failed again at 8 years old we bought a new one. But we do live aboard.

1 hour ago, Jennifer McM said:

That's what I'm hoping for, more economy with electric and water, and of course a better spin.

Except that machine has been superseded by the ZWC1301 which will not run from a Victron Multiplus. So we have to use it from gennie when cruising.

And now the drum bearing on that machine has failed!

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, rusty69 said:

.......Well, what decision did the washer woman make? I haven't slept for a whole month waiting to find out. I am very tired, please advise so I can get some sleep.

Thankyou.

I think she took your advice and when last heard was still trying to untangle the washing down the weed hatch.

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

I think she took your advice and when last heard was still trying to untangle the washing down the weed hatch.

I'd heard she was still trying to work out how to plug her washboard and dolly into the inverter. ?

On 25/09/2019 at 10:15, pearley said:

Our ZWC1300 needed a new drum bearing, which apparently comes with the drum, when it was less than s year old. The engineer refused to repair it on the boat so took it away for a fortnight to his workshop. When the bearing failed again at 8 years old we bought a new one. But we do live aboard.

Except that machine has been superseded by the ZWC1301 which will not run from a Victron Multiplus. So we have to use it from gennie when cruising.

And now the drum bearing on that machine has failed!

We experienced a similar issue a few weeks back whilst out on a little trip with our ZWC1301 and a Victron Multiplus. I had read somewhere about running something that would have a reasonable power draw at the same time. Switched on our electric kettle and the machine started its cycle - just needed to switch the kettle on again at the end for the final spin :)

32 minutes ago, CV32 said:

We experienced a similar issue a few weeks back whilst out on a little trip with our ZWC1301 and a Victron Multiplus. I had read somewhere about running something that would have a reasonable power draw at the same time. Switched on our electric kettle and the machine started its cycle - just needed to switch the kettle on again at the end for the final spin :)

Tried all that. Light bulbs, fan heater, kettle. Didn't make any difference for us but talking to Victron, some people with the Multiplus/Zanussi combination have better results than others.

Going back to our faulty machine, which had 6 months of extended warranty with JL to go, an engineer finally called, turned the drum by hand and agreed it needed new bearings. But, also said he didn't know how they could do that on a narrowboat. A few days later we had an email from JL to say the machine was unrepairable and under the terms of the warranty, as they no longer sold that model, were refunding the full purchase price plus the unused part of the warranty cost! I guess the labour cost was too high.

Went online and bought one from Currys, next day delivery to the boat moored by Toby Carvery at Etruria.

So good result, except this new one had a high pitched whine on spin. Bearings again?

Edited by pearley