Decisions of a washer woman

Jennifer McM

Featured Posts

Just can't make up my mind....?

Problem: we've got a Candy 4kg drum washing machine, but it's old! The spin is noisy and doesn't always give a good spin. I want to replace it before winter sets in for a better spinner.

Should we get a similar sized machine for around £500, ranked at A+ for economy, and hope there's an improvement? It'll fit into the space without any alterations.

Or do we get a bigger 7/8kg drum, ranked at A+++ economy wise, think it will take less water (50 litres a wash), with a super duper 1400 rpm spin for the price around £200. The space for this machine will need to be expanded, and will need some carpentry alterations. We'll need to hire a carpenter (say) will cost around £250 (don't think any new materials will be needed), and there might be less storage in the cupboard above the machine. 

image.png.403c01b8e21f4c548c079f3fc48e25a2.png

Oh what to do.... ????

Edited by Jennifer McM

21st Century Boater problem.

Muggins here with 2x 12v batteries and a hand crank mob phone charger has nothing more Hi-Tech to concern myself with than not wanting to put the lights on at night so I can start the trusty, rusty Lister in the morning.

If you get the sort of 'like with like' replacement will you always be hankering after the eco super one? When in doubt reverse the question - which will you regret and continue to regret NOT buying?!

And tell all the neanderthals to go back to bashing their smalls on the rocks if they want. I'm with you girl - I like clean laundry. I like the freshness and feeling special when it's time to get the laundered togs on!

2 minutes ago, smiler said:

Did the old one work ok before it got old?

It was inherited with the boat. It needs a good clean and service. I bought a bottle of 

Dettol Washing Machine Cleaner Lemon 250Ml

to stop the build up of fungus, after reading the instructions I didn't use it because it's not good for aquatics.

Every now and then the machine gets a good boil wash to help keep it sweet, though it does hammer the batteries somewhat.

2 minutes ago, Jo_ said:

If you get the sort of 'like with like' replacement will you always be hankering after the eco super one? When in doubt reverse the question - which will you regret and continue to regret NOT buying?!

And tell all the neanderthals to go back to bashing their smalls on the rocks if they want. I'm with you girl - I like clean laundry. I like the freshness and feeling special when it's time to get the laundered togs on!

Well said Jo. ?

It's one of those situations where being practical and/or living with a bit comfort is in conflict.

Wish I had space for a dryer, but I'm afraid we don't. Trying to dry soggy clothes on continuous wet days drives me nuts. A washing machine with a good spin sounds like heaven ?

Will the new machine fit through the door? 

Will you utilise the greater load capacity? 

Will the greater load capacity save you water/electric with fewer washes? 

Will a bigger machine unbalance your boat? 

Are you suffering from shiny thing syndrome? 

We had one of the toy expensive types ONCE. We now always have full sized. Our present LG is fantastic at £700. The small amount of extra space needed to fit it is neither here nor there. Even a cheapo full size is a better bet than the little ones. They use less water per pound weight of washed clothes. Get the space altered and go for it.

• Greenie 3
  • Happy 1

Will the new machine fit through the door? - Errrrrr?

Will you utilise the greater load capacity? Defo

Will the greater load capacity save you water/electric with fewer washes? Hope so

Will a bigger machine unbalance your boat? The Candy is 49kg, and the one I've in mind is 66kg, I'm sure we can compensate ?

Are you suffering from shiny thing syndrome? What like a magpie ?

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Jennifer McM said:

Will the new machine fit through the door? - Errrrrr?

Will you utilise the greater load capacity? Defo

Will the greater load capacity save you water/electric with fewer washes? Hope so

Will a bigger machine unbalance your boat? The Candy is 49kg, and the one I've in mind is 66kg, I'm sure we can compensate ?

Are you suffering from shiny thing syndrome? What like a magpie ?

At 49kg the candy was big but the 66kg one would be huge!! but you would only need to wash twice a year though ?

On a serious note my first washer was a candy and I sold it with the boat, I have a Hotpoint reduced depth washer now which is great and cost 160 squids with side cabinet damage [which I cant see so it doesnt matter] I would go with the bigger machine

• Greenie 1
  • Happy 1

companies

1 hour ago, Athy said:

There's another possibility, regrettably falling out of fashion nowadays: have the present one repaired.

Problem with getting the parts, Not so much a problem with the old type rotor switch machines, but the ones with circuit boards full of microchips. Once a model has stopped being made, replacements parts for that model are around for about five years on average.  Then you need someone who knows what they are doing, most so called engineers from the Washine machine companies  don't have a clue.   

2 hours ago, Athy said:

There's another possibility, regrettably falling out of fashion nowadays: have the present one repaired.

But.

Ours started making a noise a few weeks ago at 4 years old. Under extended warranty. Phone John Lewis, explain its on a boat and not in same place as last repair. Arrange for visit in 10 days at Bugsworth where I know engineer can park near boat.

Text the morning of repair. Engineer going to Newark, where last repair was done.

So arrange new repair date where we think we'll be in another 10 days, Barlaston. Can't leave Bugsworth straight away as have arranged visit from friends.

Then, breach on the Macclesfield means we can't get to Barlaston do rearrange appointment for Bugsworth again, fortunately same day.

Now waiting for Friday morning to see if engineer is coming here or Barlaston.

The worse thing is, when he comes he'll just suck his teeth and say I'll have to order the parts.

So another 10 days will pass but at least we should be able to get away from Bugsworth, nice as it is.

• Unimpressed 1

5 minutes ago, Grebe said:

Is there any chance of issues with the control electronics in a new machine not liking the inverter supply?

A point I was going to make.

My full sized machine will not do the wash cycle via the Victron pure sine wave inverter it just constantly tries to start up. My sisters Candy machine did work. 

28 minutes ago, reg said:

A point I was going to make.

My full sized machine will not do the wash cycle via the Victron pure sine wave inverter it just constantly tries to start up. My sisters Candy machine did work. 

My old vetus inverter wasn't great either  the new one works everything thankfully