I am looking for a 2nd hand Diesel Engine 20 hp and above for 27ft narrowboat 2 or three Cylinder

Amel

Featured Posts

On 23/09/2019 at 12:57, zenataomm said:

Unless you tell us why those that Alan signposted to you didn't fit the bill we're shooting in the dark.

Where they: -

Too far away

Too expensive

Too big

Too small

Wrong colour

Not served on a plate.    With side sallad?

I'm probably 'speaking' out of turn but.... It would seem some folk, and not just on this forum, seem to hope/expect people to magic up solutios for them with minimum input on their part.        Rant Rant, mutter mutter.......

• Greenie 2

You're more generous than I Taslim.

My suspicious opinion of strangers doing little to help others to help them leaves me suspecting a passive aggressive attempt at trying to force helpful people to feel obliged to volunteer/donate for free.

After all buying another engine and gearbox is merely expensive, whereas removing the old one and professionally installing its replacement is expensive, dangerous and requires an expert.

Murflynn's quest for a green engine, though just possibly tongue-in-cheek, prompted me to look at the Lister-Petter web site. Amel, what is wrong with getting a new engine? A Lister-Petter LPW2 (maximum output about 25 h.p.) would perhaps suit your needs.

Incidentally, for some reason Lister rate their engines in kw, rather than the usual horsepower. I found a conversion table, but I wonder, why would they do this?

47 minutes ago, Athy said:

Murflynn's quest for a green engine, though just possibly tongue-in-cheek, prompted me to look at the Lister-Petter web site. Amel, what is wrong with getting a new engine? A Lister-Petter LPW2 (maximum output about 25 h.p.) would perhaps suit your needs.

Incidentally, for some reason Lister rate their engines in kw, rather than the usual horsepower. I found a conversion table, but I wonder, why would they do this?

Because that is the standard used nowadays, probably EU inspired. Only us oldies talk about BHP.

• Greenie 2

17 minutes ago, WotEver said:

How many kilowatts would it use in an hour?

::: coat :::

I dunno but it would need 25 horses to poo for a week, or one horse to poo for 25 weeks, and the poo to be harvested for methane fuel, in order to produce the specified power for an hour.

Edited by Murflynn
  • Greenie 1

59 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

One begins to wonder if it is a 'wind up' although I cannot imagine what can be gained.

As the boat is at Willowtree Marina, I wonder why the OP doesn't just use the onsite engineering facility ?

does their engineering facility sell used engines with the specified characteristics?

8 minutes ago, Murflynn said:

does their engineering facility sell used engines with the specified characteristics?

One would have thought they would have the 'contacts' to be able to find one - and if they can make a penny-or-two would have done so.

Fitting a 'new' engine is not generally a DIY job (unless an identical model to the existing) due to the modification work needed, so one would assume she will be using a 'professional' to install it.

1 minute ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Where did you last see it?

:giggles:

Image result for ho ho ho

5 minutes ago, Athy said:

Are you suggesting that the O.P.'s question is not genuine? I don't think there is any evidence of that - though it is strange that she has not visited the site since Tuesday morning.

do you have a suggestion for a word describing folk who visit once, pose a question, and then apparently never return (although in this case I do realise the OP has returned, although the son remains a man of mystery)?

to my mind it's a bit like junk mail.

perhaps we could have 'Spammers, Scammers, Trolls and Junkers'

Edited by Murflynn