Mounting TV

robtheplod

Featured Posts

Hi All, working through basics in the boat and we now have a TV. I'd like to mount it just under the gunwales in the cabin, but the wall is the oak ply type, so not too strong. Not sure how I can find where the battens are behind? 

Anyway, the TV we have is a very light (2.6kg) 24" so thinking this might not be too much of an issue and so looked around for mountings - came across the screw mount below and wondered if anyone has any success with these or has any other recommendations?

2.PNG

3.PNG

bracket.PNG

Edited by robtheplod

Problem with these sorts of swing arm mounts is they are expected to be fitted to a masonry wall, not even easy in a modern house.

What I’ve done with ours is fit it to a reasonable sized bit of plywood and the fit that to the cabin side with many screws spread over a larger area 

• Greenie 1

Spreading the load as Steve suggests is the best way. If you did want to use single point mounting screws don’t use toggles, they’re the spawn of the devil. Use something like Rawlplug Hollow Wall Anchors instead. 

• Haha 1

We had the exact same problem whilst on our boat couple of weeks ago, with a similar sized TV.  After a search on Amazon and various DIY sheds we came to the conclusion that in our instance the wall brackets available all weighed substantially more than the TV itself.  Consequently the bracket weight plus the weight of the TV and then the effect of potentially having the bracket extended outwards led us to the conclusion of searching for a neat free-standing display cube thingy - found in Homebase - on the top of which we stood the TV without the need for any screwholes or fixings etc. 

1 hour ago, WotEver said:

Spreading the load as Steve suggests is the best way. If you did want to use single point mounting screws don’t use toggles, they’re the spawn of the devil. Use something like Rawlplug Hollow Wall Anchors instead. 

Indeed, the problem with the toggles is the sprung loaded toggle falls off if the scews are ever removed.

Edited by cuthound
To remove a letter masquerading as a space

Those spring toggles are intended for hollow walls. I find they work very well in lath and plaster walls where nothing else is suitable. Also good in plasterboard for heavy loads. I think they would be fine for your application if the plywood is at least 9mm; 6mm ply would probably sag when the arm of the mount was extended. Tis true what Cuthound says, the toggle will fall off if the screw is removed but they're cheap to replace anyway. 

I stuck my tv on the 9mm ply using these

https://www.toolstation.com/hollow-wall-anchor/p58888

though life is much easier when used a setting tool.

Though my mount is fixed rather than a swing arm.

Depending on the weight of the tv and length of the swing arm may require a 600mm square ply square to spread the load.  If you do use a spreader plate you would either need a hollow wall fixing for thick panels or use a wood screw through both.

2 hours ago, Chewbacka said:

I stuck my tv on the 9mm ply using these

https://www.toolstation.com/hollow-wall-anchor/p58888

though life is much easier when used a setting tool.

Yeah, those are the ones I referred to in post #3 but for some strange reason I can’t currently paste links (or anything else) to this site. 

6 hours ago, steve hayes said:

What I’ve done with ours is fit it to a reasonable sized bit of plywood and the fit that to the cabin side with many screws spread over a larger area 

All of our meeting rooms, at work, now have 52 inch screens in them (replacing the old data projectors).  Anyhow the contractor who fitted them, took this approach as all the walls are aluminium frame dry lined.  The ply is more or less the same size as the screen, so I would think a similar size to that of you 24 inch unit would be adequate.

1 hour ago, Sea Dog said:

Rob, have you ascertained how thick your ply is? My vesa mount for a heavier telly than yours is screwed directly to the ply, no fancy fixings, and is rock solid. I'm guessing mines 12mm.

no, not easy to see.... will take on board all suggestions, thanks so much for replying!

2 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

Rob, have you ascertained how thick your ply is? My vesa mount for a heavier telly than yours is screwed directly to the ply, no fancy fixings, and is rock solid. I'm guessing mines 12mm.

Like you, I have a 24” tv on a vesa mount directly to the ply wall in the lounge. I don’t think the ply is particularly thick, but the mount is solid as a rock. The tv wobbles If waggled, but the ply doesn’t move even slightly.

I also have a 22” tv on a vesa mount in the bedroom, and this is screwed into 10mm ply, so definitely solid as a rock.

For the OP, you can often find vertical supports by tapping. The bit whetevthe support is will sound different. Checking at various  levels on the vertical will confirm you are in the right spot.

Edited by Richard10002

1 hour ago, robtheplod said:

no, not easy to see.... will take on board all suggestions, thanks so much for replying!

Drill a small hole behind where the TV is going to go then stick a piece of bent wire through the hole - might give you a clue. 

Edited by WotEver
Added a missing worm

1 hour ago, WotEver said:

Drill a small hole behind where the TV is going to go then stick a piece of bent wire through the hole - might give you a clue. 

Good advice above to try tapping very lightly with a knuckle, the hollow sound will get less ‘hollow’ if it is tight up against the uprights.

My 24" (or is it 26" - can't remember) TV on a vesa mount is fitted in similar manner to richard1002 above.  A piece of 9mm ply about 150mm x 250mm is screwed to the 6mm ply cabin side with six screws.  Swivel mount then fixed to that with two screws.  Been like it a couple of years with no problems.

TV is now mounted higher than shown and fixed to the cabin side, so it will stow almost parallel to the cabin side, but swing out to a better viewing position.

boat TV.jpg

Edited by dor