Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
pearley

Region 1 DVDs in Region 2 players

Featured Posts

I bought 6 Series of Endeavour from eBay recently. Never gave it a thought what region they were. As it was eBay.co.uk I probably assumed they were good for UK. When they arrived it was obvious they were US versions but none of the cases say Region 1, most say UK version, others say Region 2.

Now they all play but some episodes the audio and subtitles go out of sync with the actors mouths.

I've no idea whether the player built-in to our TV, Avtex L219DRS Pro, is Region 2 or multi region as the instructions make no mention.

So is this a likely consequence of playing the wrong region, or would you expect it to not work at all?

No, wrong region means it doesn’t play at all. It is a copyright / licensing thing, not a compatibility thing.

Coming from eBay they are probably fake copies!

As nick says they wouldn’t play at all if it was a region thing...what you have described sounds like a bad render issue...so probably a dodgy copy. Try it on a pc/Mac DVD drive to see what does. 

A lot of dvd machines have a hidden menu  to make them multi region...google is your friend....however be careful with pc dvd drive as some have a limited number of changes before they lock out  

Edited by frangar
  • Greenie 1

Lots of dodgy DVDs around. There's a guy on YouTube called Ashens who makes comic reviews of them from time to time. The video below includes Ashens' own feature film which can be watched in 1080 on YouTube for free but was pirated in 240:

• Haha 1

A few years ago I bought some DVDs in a market in Malaysia. They were perfect copies except very slightly lower resolution of the printing on the disks. At about 50p each I think we know where they came from. The actual video was mostly perfect, but occasionally had a few frames in monochrome. So I suspect your DVDs have a similar origin.  (Also bought a very nice Breitling watch for £5 ...)

52 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Bet you 2 fivers you didn't ....

Could have had a Rolex for £10!

hooky dvds are generally region free, your problems probably arise from how they've been encoded by whoever ripped them.

if they are not legit you can trust nothing on the cases as they will have been gleaned from wherever they could be found on the internet to print off, or custom made in Photoshop etc.

I have a couple of old region 1 dvds and they would play fine in my player, but due to PAL/NTSC conversion were in black and white.

nowadays everything I have gets converted to .mp4 or .mkv files and played from USB thumb drives when on the boat or dumped on my server for home playback.