paint

haza

Featured Posts

hi at the moment   the paint on my gunnel to the first rubbing strake   is a black matt colour ..i want a change and want to paint over it with a black gloss ..any ideas ..off the best paint i could use just to paint over the matt  thanks 

3 minutes ago, haza said:

thanks would i have to prep the black matt .in any way or can i just paint over it regards

Rub it down gently and then wipe over with panel wipe to ensure no contaminants. 

If the Matt comes off on your cloth when using the panel wipe then you’ll need to go back to bare metal and prime then undercoat. 

If you use your boat then that's a high wear area, some of the paint will get scraped off, and when you repair it the edges of the scrape will show through. A matt or silk is much more forgiving of this sort of thing.

.............Dave

• Greenie 1

I painted my gunnels with Black Gloss Toplac in 2015. Just had 3 weeks out of the water and did them again. Rubbed down the Toplac, undercoated with 2 coats of Craftmaster High Build Undercoat, topcoated with 2 coats of Craftmaster Graphite Grey Raddle. I would always put a couple of coats of undercoat on, even if the fundamental colour isn't changing.

48 minutes ago, dmr said:

If you use your boat then that's a high wear area, some of the paint will get scraped off, and when you repair it the edges of the scrape will show through. A matt or silk is much more forgiving of this sort of thing.

.............Dave

Painting it with the same blacking as the rest of your hull is the lowest maintenance option.

• Greenie 1

8 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Painting it with the same blacking as the rest of your hull is the lowest maintenance option.

Thats how mine was when we got the boat and I found the opposite. Constant touching up requires keeping a pot of blacking which is nasty messy stuff and brush cleaning is a fag. The new and old do not blend in well. Also some/many blackings do not keep well once opened. A "slap it on" silk black enamel is my choice. I have used the Andy Russel Gunwale paint for a few years now, it goes on quickly and dries almost instantly. Its harder to get now so I might get some direct from the maker if I can, but am also tempted to use Craftmaster black high build undercoat instead. Craftmaster high build undercoat is lovely stuff to use.

.................Dave

7 hours ago, WotEver said:

Dulux Weathershield is good. So are most of the oil based exterior glosses from almost anywhere. 

Painted some of my old boat with Dulux Weathershieild,but it is now waterbased,

The Dulux  decorator centre didn't have any of the old oil based stuff.

I was a bit doubtful about the water based Weathershield,however,it went on easily,dried very quickly (too quickly really on a warm day) and has been on for eighteen months now, and still looks ok.I used the satin finish paint.

I would agree with those who suggest avoiding full gloss paint, it shows every ding and scrape. I use a "direct to metal" anti-corrosion semi-gloss or semi-mat depending on your point of view from Toolstation. Apply at least two coats as per the instructions and it looks fine without highlighting every bit of damage.

3 hours ago, Mad Harold said:

I was a bit doubtful about the water based Weathershield,however,it went on easily,dried very quickly (too quickly really on a warm day) and has been on for eighteen months now, and still looks ok.I used the satin finish paint.

Your local Dulux Decorator Centre is wrong, Oil based Dulux Weather Shield is still available, and is advertised on their website, although it appears to be only available from them as a "Trade Paint" these days. Personally I never use the Dulux Decorator centre, preferring to get my gloss Oil based Weather Shield mixed by our local branch of Brewers, they do not appear to have any branches near you, but any good paint trade merchant should be able to help.

14 hours ago, Mad Harold said:

I agree with DS. Oil based is still available.

1 hour ago, WotEver said:

I painted our garage door with it and what I used was definitely oil based. 

Notwithstanding this, there are some excellent water based paints around these days. One I used a while back was so good I didn't realise it was water based until I tried to clean the brush in white spirit and it would not dissolve the paint on the brush. Most confusing!!

Sadly I can't remember what paint it was tho....

21 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Notwithstanding this, there are some excellent water based paints around these days. One I used a while back was so good I didn't realise it was water based until I tried to clean the brush in white spirit and it would not dissolve the paint on the brush. Most confusing!!

Sadly I can't remember what paint it was tho....

I agree that there are some water based paints which are high gloss and durable, but you won't buy them in a tin from B&Q.