What is this?

bramley

Featured Posts

I have seen one or two of these in my time, I am somebody who likes light, big windows etc and some narrowboats I see with tiny port holes, I know it’s probably cosy but it might be rather depressing in there 

then you have this, I mean just to wonder what and or why. Is it litrally a container top welded on a shell bottom? Why would you not have windows. 

Sorry i I know it maybe somebody’s home but ?

9B099694-DF17-483A-AB76-40FC647A72C1.jpeg

2 hours ago, Athy said:

Has it got fenestration at the front of the superstructure, or in the roof? If not, it could indeed by gloomy inside.

Fenestration - definition of fenestration by The Free ...

https://www.thefreedictionary.com/fenestration

fen·es·tra·tion (fĕn′ĭ-strā′shən) ...……... The surgical creation of an artificial opening in a bone, as in the inner ear so as to improve or restore hearing.

That'd make sense 'cos if you were inside and I were to hit it with a big 'ammer, then……??

4 hours ago, Athy said:

It should be spacious inside. But good luck getting it through some of the system's less forgiving bridges - don't take it to Aynho!

Unlikely, a standard shipping container is 8 feet wide. But plenty of bridges on wide canals and rivers would be a problem for something that high with no tumblehome, e.g. I doubt it would fit under Osney Bridge at Oxford.

2 hours ago, zenataomm said:

Fenestration - definition of fenestration by The Free ...

https://www.thefreedictionary.com/fenestration

fen·es·tra·tion (fĕn′ĭ-strā′shən) ...……... The surgical creation of an artificial opening in a bone, as in the inner ear so as to improve or restore hearing.

That'd make sense 'cos if you were inside and I were to hit it with a big 'ammer, then……??

Defenestration

12 hours ago, Liam said:

Only in London !

Only it is not in London.

This container "boat" is exclusively based on the GU in Northamptonshire, and doesn't venture far, (but does make fairly regular passages of Blisworth tunnel.

It has been regularly featured on CWDF. It does have glass windows and doors at the front, and at ;east a couple of opening hatches cut into the rest of it.

1 hour ago, bramley said:

some feature but when theres a will there is a way. 

The chap asked CRT permission before he made it, he was told that sp long as it passed all the relevant BSS tests, he was allowed. The rear hatch was added soon after initial launch, the side window on starboard side last year.

He has quite a good range of movement,  the boat is an ongoing project, and is trying to give his family a decent place to live.

The container will almost certainly be 40ft long by 8ft wide, and probably 8ft high, (maybe 9ft). So a 50ft widebeam with a bit less than 320sq.ft of internal living space.

Some people are now using containers as land based homes.

Hopefully, his long term plan is to make it look better, and hopefully it will have cost him a lot less than second hand a 50ft x 8ft widebeam.