Langley Mill Boatyard and Marina

wandering snail

Featured Posts

Have reached the top of the Erewash in our rather too deep hulled boat so ploughed much of the way with frequent trips down the weedhatch. This boatyard run by Dan and Vicki is at the top and they are the most welcoming and friendly pair. We got diesel from them and also a very reasonable price for use of their dry dock when we should need it next. Boaters that moor there that we spoke to were full of praise too. Full marks!

4 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

Wholeheartedly agree. You probably saw Nightwatch in the drydock. Shame the Erewash Canal is not better maintained. (Dredged). We are getting to like the Erewash Canal more as we become more familiar with it.

Is ya boat finished yet old sport?

As a footnote. The Great Northern, or whatever its name, in my view not worth the effort to patronise. There's a pub just beyond the rail station named the Inn in The Middle. Typical modern pub. Buy, in my opinion, if you like the odd pint of ale, the Bunny Hop is the place to be. Around the corner just before the big ASDA store. 

On 21/09/2019 at 09:54, Nightwatch said:

As a footnote. The Great Northern, or whatever its name, in my view not worth the effort to patronise. There's a pub just beyond the rail station named the Inn in The Middle. Typical modern pub. Buy, in my opinion, if you like the odd pint of ale, the Bunny Hop is the place to be. Around the corner just before the big ASDA store. 

The Great Northern used to be called the Navigation which was appropriate as it is on the junction of 3 canals. Don't know why they changed the name because it had nothing to do with the Great Northern rail company which had its meetings in the Sun Inn in nearby Eastwood. The Navigation was a great quirky pub with walls covered in memorabilia. 

On ‎21‎/‎09‎/‎2019 at 09:54, Nightwatch said:

Entirely agree with all of that.

On 21/09/2019 at 09:53, mrsmelly said:

Is ya boat finished yet old sport?

Aah you guys! Thanks for your kind words.

As a footnote to works on Nightwatch, we installed a new skin tank to a slightly bigger size to the one that was there. Given the complexities of access, we installed as a stand alone tank snug to the swim. This, it turns out wasn't up to the task so we are now installing new tanks on the outside of the swim, to a larger surface area which will assist with a more efficient cooling system.

We are more than happy to deal with the issues and get it right for Martyn.

However. It is raining. So we are currently dodging showers!!

Kind regards

Dan

• Greenie 2

4 hours ago, PaulD said:

The Great Northern used to be called the Navigation which was appropriate as it is on the junction of 3 canals. Don't know why they changed the name because it had nothing to do with the Great Northern rail company which had its meetings in the Sun Inn in nearby Eastwood. The Navigation was a great quirky pub with walls covered in memorabilia. 

The pinxton branch of the great northern railway used to run on the line that is now the bypass. Langley Mill and Eastwood station was approximately 100m east of the pub. The railway split at awsworth junction and the branch to derby swung left and crossed the bennerley viaduct, still extant by Stenson's lock and the pinxton branch swung north over the giltbrook viaduct, known locally as 40 bridges.

I think the sun inn meetings were the midland railway. I could be wrong though. I normally am.....

Hope this helps.

Kind regards

Dan

7 minutes ago, stagedamager said:

The pinxton branch of the great northern railway used to run on the line that is now the bypass. Langley Mill and Eastwood station was approximately 100m east of the pub. The railway split at awsworth junction and the branch to derby swung left and crossed the bennerley viaduct, still extant by Stenson's lock and the pinxton branch swung north over the giltbrook viaduct, known locally as 40 bridges.

I think the sun inn meetings were the midland railway. I could be wrong though. I normally am.....

Hope this helps.

Kind regards

Dan

Dan, you are right about the Sun Inn and the station. Fact check next time. Locals still call the pub the Navigation which is nice.

Spent a few nights in the basin during August bank holiday.  The canal was empty of boats but towpath was busy the whole way. Highly recommend going to the Crich Tramway Village. Take a train from Langley Mill to Alfreton then a 140 bus to the museum. Fantastic day out.

22 hours ago, PaulD said:

Dan, you are right about the Sun Inn and the station. Fact check next time. Locals still call the pub the Navigation which is nice.

In the distant past the Navigation was known as The Jawbone. This because of the whale jawbones which framed the door. During the restoration of the Great Northern Basin during the 1970's it was a favourite lunch venue and the publican at the time never took us to task for the mud and water we tramped into his house. However, if I remember correctly, the public bar still had pit belting on the floor. I'm sure I remember a pony being brought into the bar at one time. Dick Alton who owned a converted lifeboat called the Greta Thorden was an accomplished pianist and many an evening was spent singing along loudly if not well. I think the pub. now caters for a different market sector. Regards, HughC.