Multi pane windows, what happened?

Kudzucraft

Featured Posts

Been meaning to ask about this and keep forgetting.  I have noticed that only older boats have the multi-pane opening windows. In the states we call these Jalousie windows, not sure if that is a UK term too.  

New(er) boats only have a single small opening pane at the top and wondering why the change?  Seems like it really cuts down on the ventilation so there must be a reason I haven't thought of for the change.

4 minutes ago, Kudzucraft said:

Been meaning to ask about this and keep forgetting.  I have noticed that only older boats have the multi-pane opening windows. In the states we call these Jalousie windows, not sure if that is a UK term too.  

New(er) boats only have a single small opening pane at the top and wondering why the change?  Seems like it really cuts down on the ventilation so there must be a reason I haven't thought of for the change.

It also cuts down on the draughs, rain coming in and improves security. That is if you mean what I think you mean. Halls Qube Louvre Window Vent

Edited by ditchcrawler

And the rectangular frames around them tended to leak at the corner joints. Hence the trend towards windows with rounded bottom corners.

And when they are open you can catch your leg on the louvres as you walk along the gunwale.

Some background: https://thecraftsmanblog.com/jalousie-jealousy-the-story-of-the-jalousie-window/

2 hours ago, David Mack said:

And the rectangular frames around them tended to leak at the corner joints. Hence the trend towards windows with rounded bottom corners.

And when they are open you can catch your leg on the louvres as you walk along the gunwale.

Those two reasons, especially the last make a lot of sense. Never thought about that. 

Just always struck me as odd the newer designs have such small openings compared to Louvered windows. Seems you lost a lot of ventilation and breeze with only that small top pane that opens.

4 hours ago, Kudzucraft said:

The cold drafts when it is minus 14c.