Doesn't CRT make overstay allowances?

Kudzucraft

Featured Posts

This is a 'What if' type question.  Recently I had to have surgery on my shoulder. Turned out my injury was not as bad as they thought but still requiring 4-6 weeks of physical therapy to get full use of that arm back. If the rotator cuff was torn as they had thought, the recovery would be CONSIDERABLY longer! 

Since our plan is to retire to a boat and Cruise it brings up the question of what our options would be if lived on a boat at the time? We would have to stay in one location so I could get to the doctor and therapy. Since we will not have a car we would need to be moored near transportation or walking distance.

Obviously staying in a Marina would be an option and probably my first choice if there was one close by.

I think I read that CRT would allow overstaying in certain conditions, perhaps like this one.  Just curious if anyone has had need and how easy it was to get permission? Any experiences like this? Just curious.

You are correct, CRT will make allowances in a case such as yours, but you need to tell them about it at the earliest opportunity so they can advise the local boat checker. 

If you don't tell them the reason how are they to know why you are overstating?

I am aware of two boats local to me in the last 3 years where the owner has been granted permission to overstay for medical reasons.

Edited by cuthound
Spillung

4 minutes ago, Kudzucraft said:

This is a 'What if' type question.  Recently I had to have surgery on my shoulder. Turned out my injury was not as bad as they thought but still requiring 4-6 weeks of physical therapy to get full use of that arm back. If the rotator cuff was torn as they had thought, the recovery would be CONSIDERABLY longer! 

Since our plan is to retire to a boat and Cruise it brings up the question of what our options would be if lived on a boat at the time? We would have to stay in one location so I could get to the doctor and therapy. Since we will not have a car we would need to be moored near transportation or walking distance.

Obviously staying in a Marina would be an option and probably my first choice if there was one close by.

I think I read that CRT would allow overstaying in certain conditions, perhaps like this one.  Just curious if anyone has had need and how easy it was to get permission? Any experiences like this? Just curious.

Yes they will give permission for an extended stay - the thing to do is contact them as soon as you are aware of the need to 'overstay' DO NOT wait for them to approach you and tell you you have already overstayed.

Any supporting evidence (Hospital notes, GP reference etc) will ensure a speedy and favourable response.

They may ask you for a weekly update and look for indications of when you will be able to move - but in true cases of need you can stay as long as necessary (although after several months it has been known for them to suggest to may be better served in a marina.

Yes they do. Email them, tell them your situation, give them some evidence (doctor note or similar) and they'll sort it out. I got a 4 week extension when I crushed a finger on the hatch door.

4 minutes ago, Kudzucraft said:

I simple called the local office and explained that you had a injury which prevents you from safely controling the boat. Get the Doctor to give you a sick note to cover the time you need to stay in one place while being treated. If it is going to be a long term recoverly. You may be fast tracked a local mooring and helped to move the boat to the mooring.   

Not health related but we had cause to overstay earlier this year due to an unique circumstance. We sold the boat and the person we sold it to wanted a survey and booked it for the boatyard opposite where we had already been moored long enough. I knew, assuming he did go ahead and buy the boat subject to survey, he would be "weekending it" home and it would not move straight away. I didn't want the new owner to be saddled with appearing on the CRT radar as soon as he bought the boat so I got in touch with CRT, advised them of the circumstances and they they were fine about it allowing a 2 week overstay without a blink of an eye. 

I am sure that if you keep them informed they will work with you 

• Greenie 1

17 hours ago, NB Caelmiri said:

Yes they do. Email them, tell them your situation, give them some evidence (doctor note or similar) and they'll sort it out. I got a 4 week extension when I crushed a finger on the hatch door.

:o OUCH!! 

17 hours ago, NB Caelmiri said:

I guess after the 10th overstay you'd have to start on your toes - or - find a friend !

17 hours ago, Kudzucraft said:

CRT authorised an overstay of a few weeks for me last year after surgery, no problem. I think I did have to email through my hospital discharge form when I asked to extend it from two weeks to four, but that was all.

• Greenie 1

8 minutes ago, magictime said:

CRT authorised an overstay of a few weeks for me last year after surgery, no problem. I think I did have to email through my hospital discharge form when I asked to extend it from two weeks to four, but that was all.

Was this surgery planned? If so I think CRT could have reasonably argued that you should have taken a mooring for the period of your surgery and recovery. If it was unplanned, then an extension is fine.

26 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Was this surgery planned? If so I think CRT could have reasonably argued that you should have taken a mooring for the period of your surgery and recovery. If it was unplanned, then an extension is fine.

Yes, it was planned. And yes, if CRT had wanted to play hardball rather than showing some flexibility, I suppose they could have tried arguing that it was not 'reasonable in the circumstances' (as per the rules) for me to leave the boat on a visitor mooring for longer than 14 days, since I could have foreseen this being necessary. Thankfully they didn't, either because (a) they didn't think the law would have been on their side, or because (b) they didn't in any case see the need to make a difficult situation worse by insisting that I spend the time immediately before and after brain surgery fretting about the logistics and expense of finding, travelling to/from, and paying for a short-term private mooring. Or quite likely, both of those things. 

• Greenie 1

In Leicester Theresa a guy moored in the newer if the two pontoonoorings. We stopped for water top up. He had been there weeks, authorised by CRT, who had broken his leg. They do extend mooring permission if there's a good reason.

as has been said. Contact and communication is the key.

1 minute ago, Nightwatch said:

In Leicester Theresa a guy moored in the newer if the two pontoonoorings. We stopped for water top up. He had been there weeks, authorised by CRT, who had broken his leg. They do extend mooring permission if there's a good reason.

as has been said. Contact and communication is the key.

CRT are breaking legs now? That's a bit extreme ?

• Greenie 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, magictime said:

Yes, it was planned. And yes, if CRT had wanted to play hardball rather than showing some flexibility, I suppose they could have tried arguing that it was not 'reasonable in the circumstances' (as per the rules) for me to leave the boat on a visitor mooring for longer than 14 days, since I could have foreseen this being necessary. Thankfully they didn't, either because (a) they didn't think the law would have been on their side, or because (b) they didn't in any case see the need to make a difficult situation worse by insisting that I spend the time immediately before and after brain surgery fretting about the logistics and expense of finding, travelling to/from, and paying for a short-term private mooring. Or quite likely, both of those things. 

This illustrates that CRT are more than reasonable in agreeing to an extension when you work with them and keep them informed. People who only talk to CRT on day 15 are going to have more of a problem.

12 minutes ago, David Mack said:

This illustrates that CRT are more than reasonable in agreeing to an extension when you work with them and keep them informed. People who only talk to CRT on day 15 are going to have more of a problem.

As are people with a long history of overstaying and receiving warnings. Those with no record of overstaying are highly likely to be given a lot of leeway as if they are asking for it, they probably actually need it. 

And as illustrated in another thread, those with a history of overstaying could expect to be served with a  "Get off CRT waters or get lifted" notice, after as little as 14 years. 

We informed C&RT on our arrival at Brentford back in May of this year, that the wife needed emergency dental treatment and that it was going to take a few weeks to get it sorted, no problems with overstaying on C&RTs part, just so long as you keep them informed. It took five weeks in total to get sorted.

• Greenie 1