Canal & River Trust Boater Report 2019

Ray T

Featured Posts

PRESS RELEASE

We have published our Boater Report for 2019.  This report, developed specifically for boaters, gives an overview of how much it costs to maintain our canals and rivers, including where our money comes from and where it gets spent, for example how much gets spent on dredging, maintenance, vegetation management, and customer service facilities.

We’re sending boat licence holders a PDF of the Boater Report along with their licence renewals, or if they’re buying a boat licence for the first time.  Hard copies are available for those who don’t use email.

You can find the PDF here – or let me know (along with your address) if you would like a hard copy:  https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/media/original/40775-boater-report-2019.pdf

Fran Read

National press officer

I work Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays

M  07796 610 427

E  fran.read@canalrivertrust.org.uk

I do find their figures somewhat misleading 

They quote Income as £210m and 'Resources Expended' as £156m. 

All find and dandy saving £54m into the bank for a rainy day.

What that Pdf doesn't show is what is easily found in the C&RT annual accounts.

The income from BWML was £8m per annum (only £6m last year due to being sold off 3/4 of the way thru the year.

The cost of raising the £210m income was £45m

So the nett income is actually £165m

Not quite as good - only leaving £9m

What concerns me is that C&RT will no longer have the £8m income from BWML

In 3 or 4 years they lose the £51m DEFRA grant.

If C&RT continue as present they will actually be operating at a loss of £50m per annum

If C&RT's backlog of maintenance continues to grow with the present income - what is going to happen when they have £50m less to spend ?

It is interesting to note that 'Charitable giving' has actually dropped by £1m compared to 2017/18

In 2017/18 the cost of raising Voluntary income was higher than the income.

Voluntary income was £3.4m last year. Expenditure raising that income was £3.9m. Loss £500,000. 

The cumulative loss (since 2012) on voluntary income against cost of raising that income is some £5.5m

• 2 weeks later...