WD40 as paint protection?

jenevers

Featured Posts

It will remove the dirt, bird mess and the odd tree sap type stain - the paintwork will come up, not 'as new' but a lot brighter than normal - but won't last more than a week or two. However, it is an easy and quick clean. Bit like The Karate Kid, wipe on, wipe off.

53 minutes ago, jenevers said:

Silicon free. So easy to paint over unlike wax maybe

Carnauba  wax is silicon free and leaves a shine lasting for a couple of years or more.

Not cheap but I've yet to find  better polish for a boat, and a bottle lasts for years. I'm still on the bottle I bought 5 years ago.

http://www.talbotwharf.co.uk/cleaning-products/craftmaster-carnuaba-wax-polish.html

WD40 is a water displacer. You would have to be careful not to spill any when applying it to cabin sides, if any dripped into the canal the water would be displaced and all the boats would be grounded. ?

Edited by cuthound
Spillung
  • Haha 1

Whatever you put on the paintwork of your boat will mostly end up in the water.

5 hours ago, CompairHolman said:

There is nothing in WD40 except a tiny amount of cheap mineral oil and a lot of solvent, its a marketing con and always has been. 

I'm not sure all the people who've managed to start their engines after using it to drive water out of electrical connections would agree with you.

11 hours ago, CompairHolman said:

There is nothing in WD40 except a tiny amount of cheap mineral oil and a lot of solvent, its a marketing con and always has been. 

If you're spraying it on your paintwork then it is just evaporating away and doing exactly what the manufacturer wants , that is making you buy some more.

According to the myths it is made of fish oil. ?

I agree it is mineral lubricating oil and solvent.

Someone used wd40 on plastic fenders and it did bring them up looking shiny. However the soon looked shabby as dirt stuck to oily fenders. 

I would stick to products intended for application to paint. If you want to apply a water repellent product but dont like to spend hours applying it try Demon Shine by Carplan which is from The Range or B&M at £3.99.

You will need to clean the paintwork before applying any treatment.

16 hours ago, CompairHolman said:

If you're spraying it on your paintwork then it is just evaporating away and doing exactly what the manufacturer wants , that is making you buy some more.

Other than that is it ok?

:icecream:

1 minute ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Its great for removing masking tape that has been left 'on' for too long.

Wets the paper and dissolves the glue.

Thats definitely a good application.  I imagine it might also be quite good for preventing spaghetti sticking together, but only for marinara dishes, obs. Perhaps @CompairHolman is being a bit harsh?

5 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Thats definitely a good application.  I imagine it might also be quite good for preventing spaghetti sticking together, but only for marinara dishes, obs. Perhaps @CompairHolman is being a bit harsh?

It makes upvc double glazing shine too. But only for a couple of days. 

The frames, not the sealed units... ;)

I recommend the Craftmaster Canauba...

I bought some for my last boat as it had a wonderful paint job....and it was excellent.

My current boat paint...is a load of cack….which I like as I no longer have to polish it...(no brass on it either..GREAT !!  )

I now use up that Canauba on my 14 year old Mercedes...and it gets many admiring comments. I leave the car in marina for months and when I come back ..its as glossy as when I left it.