Share Boating

cougie

Featured Posts

11 hours ago, Mick in Bangkok said:

Just food for thought but I am retiring this year as well and considering either an outright buy or share option. I am overseas and wish to use the boat in continues blocks of time i.e. 3monthe to 6 months and staying overseas in winter therefore share options with weekly allotments are not for me and outright ownership means paying for storage for long periods. I am also considering joint ownership with 1 or two other parties and splitting all purchase, maintenance and wintering costs and having use of the boat for some agreed periods.

I guess if you can define things like when you don't need it and when you do then you might be able to get something sorted out. 

Probably a lot harder than a normal syndicate that just have a couple of weeks use at a time ? 

Maybe look to buying into a syndicate but you'd probably be looking to hoover up most of the shares ?

• 3 weeks later...

Rather excited today as we're off tomorrow for our first week on our share boat.  We have a week carefully planned: Pick up the boat from Dunchurch Pools Marina (couple of miles north of Braunston) then head down the GU for three days, turn round and head in roughly the opposite direction in the hope that we end up near where we started. It's a detailed plan and I just hope we're able to stick to it.

Why? It's our first time on a boat without the kids so we're going for a drift without the need to get to 'somewhere interesting, please, Dad'.

Mrs Onionman currently unplumbing the kitchen sink just on the off-chance that there might be an emergency on the boat that warrants its use.

Hoping to find the GU slightly emptier than the western end of the K&A where we've been on our last two trips.

6 minutes ago, Onionman said:

Rather excited today as we're off tomorrow for our first week on our share boat.  We have a week carefully planned: Pick up the boat from Dunchurch Pools Marina (couple of miles north of Braunston) then head down the GU for three days, turn round and head in roughly the opposite direction in the hope that we end up near where we started. It's a detailed plan and I just hope we're able to stick to it.

Why? It's our first time on a boat without the kids so we're going for a drift without the need to get to 'somewhere interesting, please, Dad'.

Mrs Onionman currently unplumbing the kitchen sink just on the off-chance that there might be an emergency on the boat that warrants its use.

Hoping to find the GU slightly emptier than the western end of the K&A where we've been on our last two trips.

will be there tomorrow as our boat has just moved to Dunchurch Pools after several years at Overwater and its our AGM so visiting the boat to look at the newly painted roof.

If you could wear an Onion about your person it would help :D

• Greenie 1

We are now Share-Owners for 6 years and love it.   She (the boat of course) is an Ex Ownerships, now BCBM managed boat.      Whilst long term plan is to own own boat, at the moment we dont have enough free time to warrent it and so a shared boat were we get 3- 4 weeks a year on the boat works for us.     The "fees" that we pay for 3-4 weeks (or more if we wanted and fancied boating in the snow) is more than equal to hiring for a week so we think is worth while.

Whilst it is a pain having to take off all your personal kit at the end of each trip (the Dog seems to have more then we do for some reason) the main advantage we get is that when we are on the boat we are "home" and relax so much quicker into the holdiday.    The trips seem to merge together, in a nice way, so sometimes you have read the diary to find it when it was you last went down the oxford..was it this trip or last summer?

PS got the discussion about colour of curtains down to a swift 30mins now!

22 minutes ago, Dharl said:

We are now Share-Owners for 6 years and love it.   She (the boat of course) is an Ex Ownerships, now BCBM managed boat.      Whilst long term plan is to own own boat, at the moment we dont have enough free time to warrent it and so a shared boat were we get 3- 4 weeks a year on the boat works for us.     The "fees" that we pay for 3-4 weeks (or more if we wanted and fancied boating in the snow) is more than equal to hiring for a week so we think is worth while.

Whilst it is a pain having to take off all your personal kit at the end of each trip (the Dog seems to have more then we do for some reason) the main advantage we get is that when we are on the boat we are "home" and relax so much quicker into the holdiday.    The trips seem to merge together, in a nice way, so sometimes you have read the diary to find it when it was you last went down the oxford..was it this trip or last summer?

PS got the discussion about colour of curtains down to a swift 30mins now!

I am happy that the curtain debate is so short. This, undoubtedly, will be very welcome to your syndicate so that much more time can be given to the equally important subject of pillows and duvets. ?

Howard

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, howardang said:

I am happy that the curtain debate is so short. This, undoubtedly, will be very welcome to your syndicate so that much more time can be given to the equally important subject of pillows and duvets

yes I never realised the passion behind soft furnishings!

in the day job its not even discussed during a dry docking meeting...except to make sure that the carpets have been covered in cardbroad to protect them from the dockyard maties whilst along the wall....

In the very early days of OwnerShips,  I understand that one group of owners spent almost the entire meeting debating about hanging pictures on the cabin walls.I think it was resolved by the owner who wanted the pictures, hanging them when they were on board and they were taken down for everyone else ? . 

haggis

• Greenie 1
  • Happy 1

I must have been very lucky with my two shared boats over 22 years. I can only once recall soft furnishings being discussed, and that was a 15 minute discussion as  whether or not to replace the 10 year old Flotex carpet tiles. (We didn't as they were still in excellent condition and replacements were expensive).

26 minutes ago, haggis said:

In the very early days of OwnerShips,  I understand that one group of owners spent almost the entire meeting debating about hanging pictures on the cabin walls.I think it was resolved by the owner who wanted the pictures, hanging them when they were on board and they were taken down for everyone else ? . 

haggis

From the same era there was an owner who insisted on taking his own carpet and yet another  who took his own elsan despite there being two pump out toilets already fitted. 

Howard

1 minute ago, howardang said:

From the same era there was an owner who insisted on taking his own carpet and yet another  who took his own elsan despite there being two pump out toilets already fitted. 

Howard

One of our problems no one would throw anything away so you had umteen part bottles of cleaning products etc. More than one couple use to dump the microwave in the car while they were on the boat

16 minutes ago, howardang said:

Howard

It wasn't Mr Smelly was it? ??

13 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

One of our problems no one would throw anything away so you had umteen part bottles of cleaning products etc. More than one couple use to dump the microwave in the car while they were on the boat

Yes, this was experience too.

Edited by cuthound
To insert spaces between merged posts

In the early days of us sharing we planned a three week trip and as we had dogs we always took our own sleeping bags in case a dog jumped on the bed. For that trip we stored all the duvets and most of the pillows under the bed behind a set of drawers. We forgot to put them back in their normal storage space on the back bunk when we left and the next owner had great difficulty finding the bedding

?. I don't think they ever forgave us ! 

Haggis

55 minutes ago, haggis said:

In the early days of us sharing we planned a three week trip and as we had dogs we always took our own sleeping bags in case a dog jumped on the bed. For that trip we stored all the duvets and most of the pillows under the bed behind a set of drawers. We forgot to put them back in their normal storage space on the back bunk when we left and the next owner had great difficulty finding the bedding

?. I don't think they ever forgave us ! 

Haggis

Who can blame them ................

PS I try never to queue behind a lone male in a supermarket either..................... 

3 minutes ago, LadyG said:

PS I try never to queue behind a lone male in a supermarket either..................... 

Its the women who get me who put all their shopping through, pack it away and then seem surprised they have to pay for it and try to find the credit card or even worse the cash

12 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Its the women who get me who put all their shopping through, pack it away and then seem surprised they have to pay for it and try to find the credit card or even worse the cash

They only do that when the guy behind them is going "sigh", "tut-tut"

Edited by LadyG

14 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Who can blame them ................

You've lost me there

Not sure what putting the bedding in the only space in the boat big enough to take it all has to do with supermarket shopping.

Haggis

16 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

I find I take the opportunity to chat to the cashier, especially on  Friday night at 6.00 pm, just to catch up on local gossip.

3 minutes ago, haggis said:

You've lost me there

Not sure what putting the bedding in the only space in the boat big enough to take it all has to do with supermarket shopping.

Haggis

Maybe I have strayed in to the wrong thread. ie I've lost the place :)

Edited by LadyG

2 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

And if they’re of a certain age then the cash has to be exact... “hang on, there’s another penny here somewhere...”

7 hours ago, Cheshire cat said:

I remember one syndicate spending ages discussing maintenance and soft furnishings. They'd just about finished when the call came through to say the owners on board had sunk the boat.  Oh well back to square one! 

At least the question of the 'soft furnishings' had been resolved so would make the re-fit much simpler.

17 hours ago, LadyG said:

I find I take the opportunity to chat to the cashier, especially on  Friday night at 6.00 pm, just to catch up on local gossip.

(snip) :)

Which is why I try not to queue behind females in supermarkets ... :icecream:

Edited by Iain_S