Charging batteries via multi fuel stove

snaggletooth

Featured Posts

2 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Qué?

A Peltier cell IS a generator.

Well I guess it's a generator (a Thermo Electric Generator) based on a generator then. The Peltier cell being the active ingredient among other gubbins such as housing and fans and outputs.

Doesn't the tried and tested way to convert solid fuel energy into electrical energy when afloat involve a boiler, steam turbine and generator/alternator? There should be lots of plans around for this; bit of a project mind. Not really keeping up with emissions targets either really. ;)

Used to have a Mamod steam engine as a kid that spun a small electric motor and lit a torch battery. The engine was an oscillating cylinder type and spat water and steam out, the boiler used methylated spirits and was lit with a match. Oh those were the days before elth and softy got hold of things and wrapped our youngsters in cotton wool. No I didn't kill myself but probably did learn that flames and steam are hot and can hurt.

image.png.3bcca677a4057b42d3e7359697715256.png

looked a bit like this.

50 minutes ago, Detling said:

Used to have a Mamod steam engine as a kid that spun a small electric motor and lit a torch battery. The engine was an oscillating cylinder type and spat water and steam out, the boiler used methylated spirits and was lit with a match. Oh those were the days before elth and softy got hold of things and wrapped our youngsters in cotton wool. No I didn't kill myself but probably did learn that flames and steam are hot and can hurt.

image.png.3bcca677a4057b42d3e7359697715256.png

looked a bit like this.

I had the Major traction engine. Great fun, although when I made it traverse a wooden threshold plate between two rooms the firebox fell out and got left behind! Luckily it didn't set fire to my parents house.

Also found out that if you spill methylated spirit onto your hand and ccidentally set it on fire, it doesn't hurt until the meths has almost burnt away. ?

41 minutes ago, Detling said:

Oh those were the days before elth and softy got hold of things and wrapped our youngsters in cotton wool.

Ah yes, the good old days when more than 1000 children died in accidents every year in the UK, rather than the 100-odd we have to make do with nowadays.

http://www.makingthelink.net/deaths-child-accidents

I have particularly fond memories of the spring of 1986, when my best friend died aged 11. No mollycoddling, namby-pamby 'cycling helmets' in those days! Fun times.