Charging batteries via multi fuel stove

snaggletooth

Featured Posts

Hi all, first post!

I've been building out an old 43 foot narrowboat from shell for the past 3 months and I'm approaching the point where I'm figuring out electrics.

Some time ago I remember reading on this forum about a unit that you sit on top of your multifuel stove but I cannot for the life of me find the post

and any google search comes up with that silly Biolite campstove.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about here?

3 minutes ago, snaggletooth said:

Hi all, first post!

I've been building out an old 43 foot narrowboat from shell for the past 3 months and I'm approaching the point where I'm figuring out electrics.

Some time ago I remember reading on this forum about a unit that you sit on top of your multifuel stove but I cannot for the life of me find the post

and any google search comes up with that silly Biolite campstove.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about here?

Eco Fan

http://www.ecofan.co.uk/woodstove-ecofans.html

(But it won't charge your batteries)

7 minutes ago, snaggletooth said:

Thanks for speedy reply, Alan but I'm already aware of the Eco fan!

I don't think I expressed myself very clearly in the first post! This is a unit you sit on top of the stove that converts heat energy to electric which you can hook up your battery array.

The only one I know of is a 5v 500ma one that is used when camping to top up your GPS, phone etc.

Just now, Chewbacka said:

Having read it again I can see why we all forgot about them - a simple air cooled unit will give at best 45W which is about 3.5A, which is not a lot for the money.

Ah. Yes, that doesn't seem as attractive as I initially thought.

But yes, that I'm pretty sure is the thing I was looking for, thank you! I was trying to suss out a charging solution in the absence of bright sunlight via my solar panel.

32 minutes ago, Bod said:

There were some American water cooled units, a while a go. 

Low output, you would need 3 units, but very very expensive. 

Bod

The most expensive one (>$700 US) on that link in post #5 states 100W, which is about 8A at 12V, but I bet you’d never see that outside a laboratory. 

1 hour ago, WotEver said:

The most expensive one (>$700 US) on that link in post #5 states 100W, which is about 8A at 12V, but I bet you’d never see that outside a laboratory. 

The data sheet shows there needs to be a 240*C difference between the 'hot side' and the 'cold side' to achieve 100 watts.

It also has to be Glycol cooled at 3-4 gallons per minute flow rate.

Screenshot (1).png

Edited by Alan de Enfield

32 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

The data sheet shows there needs to be a 240*C difference between the 'hot side' and the 'cold side' to achieve 100 watts.

It also has to be Glycol cooled at 3-4 gallons per minute flow rate.

And the power to both cool and pump that glycol mixture comes from...

I love marketing folk ;)

1 hour ago, Sea Dog said:

Sometimes we just need to organise ourselves so that the first and final reply is a simple "No" and then we can all move on. Expanding further with the occasional, perhaps more helpful, "That's utter bollards" may also be useful. :)

But we must think outside the box apparently. ;)

We all know it’s a dumb idea, which is why no-one does it, but we must discuss it anyway...

3 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

Sometimes we just need to organise ourselves so that the first and final reply is a simple "No" and then we can all move on. Expanding further with the occasional, perhaps more helpful, "That's utter bollards" may also be useful. :)

Is the good old, reliable, conventional word "bollocks" now banned or enforced against? I occasionally substitute Balaerics (the archipelago of Ibiza, Mallorca, Menorca and smaller islands), however it would be clearer to use bollocks as appropriate.

57 minutes ago, Paul C said:

Is the good old, reliable, conventional word "bollocks" now banned or enforced against? I occasionally substitute Balaerics (the archipelago of Ibiza, Mallorca, Menorca and smaller islands), however it would be clearer to use bollocks as appropriate.

If the speaker of the House of Commons can drive around in a car with a bumper sticker - bollocks to brexit - then it must be fine.

3 hours ago, Paul C said:

Bolleaux!

Back to the question. Maybe someone could design a steam turbine that sits on the stove and charges the batteries. The excess steam could be condensed under a dome and provide a nice warm bath full of water. ?

Edited by stegra
  • Greenie 1