K&A boaters Evicted

Alan de Enfield

Featured Posts

if you don't pay your way then your a fool , if you never ask for help your a fool its about time societies free loaders were taught a lesson.

wasteful little blighters (I used the word blighters) in stead of the sentence ---- ------- ------- - ----- ------ --- -----  which would have me removed from these glorious pages

4 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

None of this is an issue for folk who simply pay their dues and follow the rules.  How nice would it be if all this time and effort could be directed towards something useful rather than fighting the cause of those who chose to push the boundaries or simply flout them? 

Whilst my instincts are with you, I also know that the 'rules' are always fuzzy at the edges which is why we have judges - heaven help us if they are replaced by AI systems. Such formulaic applications generally end towards the middle ground with less attention paid to those whose needs or aspirations depend on careful consideration of how the rules apply to them. Careless approach will lead to monochrome societies which have two disadvantages: the law of requisoite va

4 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

None of this is an issue for folk who simply pay their dues and follow the rules.  How nice would it be if all this time and effort could be directed towards something useful rather than fighting the cause of those who chose to push the boundaries or simply flout them? 

Whilst my instincts are with you, I also know that the 'rules' are always fuzzy at the edges which is why we have judges - heaven help us if they are replaced by AI systems. Such formulaic applications generally end towards the middle ground with less attention paid to those whose needs or aspirations depend on careful consideration of how the rules apply to them. Careless approach will lead to monochrome societies which have two disadvantages: the law of requisite variety which avoids evolutionary extinction and boredom - I would not want us all to be identikit copies of each other, especially as I would be excluded from that inner circle. None of that,of course, excuses those who deliberately and glowingly act outside the law by any interpretation.

26 minutes ago, Graham Davis said:

I wonder how soon the new "owner" would have insured and licenced the boat had CaRT not come along and threatened to remove it?

Reading all the thread it seems that had tried to licence it but CRT refused, but the report said they insured and licensed it there and then so who knows the full story.

13 hours ago, Mike Todd said:

Whilst my instincts are with you, I also know that the 'rules' are always fuzzy at the edges which is why we have judges - heaven help us if they are replaced by AI systems. Such formulaic applications generally end towards the middle ground with less attention paid to those whose needs or aspirations depend on careful consideration of how the rules apply to them. Careless approach will lead to monochrome societies which have two disadvantages: the law of requisite variety which avoids evolutionary extinction and boredom - I would not want us all to be identikit copies of each other, especially as I would be excluded from that inner circle. None of that,of course, excuses those who deliberately and glowingly act outside the law by any interpretation.

After writing that I then saw in a newspaper an article about an AI system being used to segregate residency applications to the Home Office. It is alleged that simple algorithms (AI?) Have an obvious in built racial bias and also that individuals who have a very valid claim are disadvantaged just because they come close to the boundary in one respect.

7 hours ago, Mike Todd said:

After writing that I then saw in a newspaper an article about an AI system being used to segregate residency applications to the Home Office. It is alleged that simple algorithms (AI?) Have an obvious in built racial bias and also that individuals who have a very valid claim are disadvantaged just because they come close to the boundary in one respect.

Not really the same thing though, is it. My licence falls due at the end of July. It's a bill I must pay or fall foul of the rules, so I pay it and no-one bothers me. Most boaters do the same: No AI required, no Home Office involvement; no conflict with CRT

• Greenie 1

3 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

Not really the same thing though, is it. My licence falls due at the end of July. It's a bill I must pay or fall foul of the rules, so I pay it and no-one bothers me. Most boaters do the same: No AI required, no Home Office involvement; no conflict with CRT

I was seeking to distinguish between those who clearly beak the rules from those who push at the boundaries. Which is where this thread had hlanded when I commented. 

On 31/10/2019 at 20:20, Mike Todd said:

I was seeking to distinguish between those who clearly beak the rules from those who push at the boundaries. Which is where this thread had hlanded when I commented. 

You could rank them in a pecking order. 

• Greenie 1