K&A boaters Evicted

Alan de Enfield

Featured Posts

50 minutes ago, blackrose said:

Non boaters? So by that rationale anyone who has a mooring and doesn't move around the system is a non boater? There are lots of different types of boaters, some live aboard, some don't; some have moorings others don't, and some move more than others.

Surely you meant they are not continuous cruisers? I think we can all agree with that.

I think he means the person in the street who doesn't own a boat, has done no research and is sitting in the pub side garden thinking that looks nice and then goes and buys a boat. I think it was Matty who posted about a  bloke who bought a widebeam shell and was fitting it out afloat who had no idea he needed a licence of had to cruise anywhere etc.

• Greenie 2

2 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

I think he means the person in the street who doesn't own a boat, has done no research and is sitting in the pub side garden thinking that looks nice and then goes and buys a boat. I think it was Matty who posted about a  bloke who bought a widebeam shell and was fitting it out afloat who had no idea he needed a licence of had to cruise anywhere etc.

In addition, there’s quite a large group I think of as “bourgeois anarchists” who genuinely believe that the rules were made to keep the little people in order but don’t apply to them. They really think that if the world isn’t the way they’d like it to be, it should be changed so that it is.

17 minutes ago, BruceinSanity said:

In addition, there’s quite a large group I think of as “bourgeois anarchists” who genuinely believe that the rules were made to keep the little people in order but don’t apply to them. They really think that if the world isn’t the way they’d like it to be, it should be changed so that it is.

Is it not this sort of thinking that got us out of the caves?

Not that I'm sure that this was an improvement overall.

?

22 minutes ago, BruceinSanity said:

in my world they would be labelled as spoilt brats.

1 hour ago, BruceinSanity said:

see also those Freemen on the Land types, nothing applies to them due to "Magna Carta"

22 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

It shouldn't have come as a surprise …………...…...

https://www.somersetlive.co.uk/news/somerset-news/family-who-fled-canal-fear-3316196

Curious the claim by CaRT in that article that ‘only’ 17 live-aboard boats were removed ‘last year’. CaRT’s website lists only 3 for the period to end of May in 2019, and only 10 for the whole of 2018. For the period May 2018 to the present that is only 7 boats not 17, and if one was going to be very literal about ‘last year’ being within the last 12 months, only 5 cases are listed.

Typo, misreportage, or was there a flurry of very recent cases between May and September that have not yet been lodged onsite?

22 minutes ago, Paul C said:

Thanks - I suspected you meant that page but I wanted to be sure we were talking about the same thing. Yes, despite their implying this is a complete list, it is definitely incomplete and it should not be assumed the numbers can be derived from it.

Whilst I have no reason to contradict the above, there is a little bit of wriggle-room in the statements as one lists those who have been removed by CaRT as the result of a court case whilst the other counts those removed as a result of having no licence, which may include boats removed by their owner (as with the case in point).

5 minutes ago, Sir Nibble said:

Others think even the trees were a bad idea and we should never have left the oceans

Some of my best times were sat in the top of a tree enjoying the view, so I think it should have stopped there.

Sure I spotted a bowl of petunias once as well. :)

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

This is interesting and also puts up other questions, like they knew it wasn't licenced, why didn't they have insurance? http://kanda.boatingcommunity.org.uk/boat-seizure-averted-at-11th-hour-after-nbta-intervention/

Interesting read. I was not familiar with the website and reading their "What is the website about' page, it makes me wonder if there isn't a bit more to this story than the are telling. Seems they might be a bit biased. But when I read this is seemed odd to me he had 'chained' his boat to another and was locked inside. Sounds like he was expecting them. 

Sad but I no longer trust any news I read to be accurate and without bias.

16 minutes ago, Kudzucraft said:

I was not familiar with the website

The NBTA ( National Bargee Travellers Association or  lovingly known as 'National Baton Twirlers Association') are Anti 'rules' & they consider the fact that boaters are required to move every 14 days as an infringement of rights - as you can imagine they do have quite a large following, especially amongst those using boats to get cheap living in London & the South.

By claiming to be "Bargees" they try to claim rights for a minority segment of the population much as Gypsies have.

Do a search for NBTA

Image result for nbta

Edited by Alan de Enfield

11 minutes ago, Kudzucraft said:

Sad but I no longer trust any news I read to be accurate and without bias.

To be fair that's not news it's just a blog but I agree with you in that I'm yet to find any thing online where aren't in the middle of something that could have been prevented without drama or fuss with just little effort a little earlier. 

10 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

The NBTA ( National Bargee Travellers Association or  lovingly known as 'National Baton Twirlers Association') are Anti 'rules' & they consider the fact that boaters are required to move every 14 days as an infringement of rights - as you can imagine they do have quite a large following, especially amongst those using boats to get cheap living in London & the South.

By claiming to be "Bargees" they try to claim rights for a minority segment of the population much as Gypsies have.

They sound like a bunch of crusties.

1 minute ago, frangar said:

They are a bunch of something but that would probably get me a lifetime ban from here......

We gave one hundred people one hundred seconds to think of a word to describe such a bunch. "Crusties" was a good answer scoring just 5 points; the word you're thinking of was the highest scorer on the board with 97 points; there were no pointless answers!  ;)

• Happy 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

We gave one hundred people one hundred seconds to think of a word to describe such a bunch. "Crusties" was a good answer scoring just 5 points; the word you're thinking of was the highest scorer on the board with 97 points; 

"Boaters", of course.

13 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

This is interesting and also puts up other questions, like they knew it wasn't licenced, why didn't they have insurance? http://kanda.boatingcommunity.org.uk/boat-seizure-averted-at-11th-hour-after-nbta-intervention/

Are you thinking this is the same boat?  If so, it seems the owner has sidestepped CRT by 'selling' his boat to another person and getting them to licence it.  Is that possible?  If so, then the CRT enforcement approach is fatally flawed, like getting your partner to take 3 speeding points to avoid a driving ban.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, doratheexplorer said:

Are you thinking this is the same boat?  If so, it seems the owner has sidestepped CRT by 'selling' his boat to another person and getting them to licence it.  Is that possible?  If so, then the CRT enforcement approach is fatally flawed, like getting your partner to take 3 speeding points to avoid a driving ban.

I thought "selling the boat to a mate for a quid" has been the bog standard, first, 'go to' method of swerving a Section 8 for years.