JP Liner pulling tools available for lending

tommylad

Featured Posts

I had the following plates made from 20 mm steel to assist with removing the liners on my JP. If anyone wishes to borrow them you're welcome. (Available from Derby).

To remove your liners using these plates you would need to obtain a hollow jack and a length of M30 studding with nuts/washers as per the diagram/picture!

Plate 1.JPG

Plate 2.JPG

Plate 3.JPG

Plate 3 Machining.JPG

Cross section.jpg

1.JPG

Edited by tommylad

5 hours ago, tommylad said:

I had the following plates made from 20 mm steel to assist with removing the liners on my JP. If anyone wishes to borrow them you're welcome. (Available from Derby).

To remove your liners using these plates you would need to obtain a hollow jack and a length of M30 studding with nuts/washers as per the diagram/picture!

Plate 1.JPG

Plate 2.JPG

Plate 3.JPG

Plate 3 Machining.JPG

Cross section.jpg

1.JPG

That’s good to know!! I’ll bear you in mind! How did it go getting the liners out?? Did you replace them or was there another reason for pulling them?? 

"That’s good to know!! I’ll bear you in mind! How did it go getting the liners out?? Did you replace them or was there another reason for pulling them??"

They came out an absolute dream! Only needed 6 tons to get them out, no bangs or drama at all. Better to be prepared though! Plan for the worst, hope for the best.....

I pulled them because one was leaking at the tell tale drain. I was hoping I might be able to re-use them, however I've just been cleaning them up, and one of them (the one that wasn't leaking!) has some very heavy pitting just above the o-rings, it's so deep it's only a couple of mm off getting right through! I'm impressed with the condition of the bores though, they have a 5 thou ridge at TDC, and are about 3 thou oval, which I think is pretty decent for a 60 year old engine.

20190919_183618.jpg

20190919_174020.jpg

25 minutes ago, tommylad said:

"That’s good to know!! I’ll bear you in mind! How did it go getting the liners out?? Did you replace them or was there another reason for pulling them??"

They came out an absolute dream! Only needed 6 tons to get them out, no bangs or drama at all. Better to be prepared though! Plan for the worst, hope for the best.....

I pulled them because one was leaking at the tell tale drain. I was hoping I might be able to re-use them, however I've just been cleaning them up, and one of them (the one that wasn't leaking!) has some very heavy pitting just above the o-rings, it's so deep it's only a couple of mm off getting right through! I'm impressed with the condition of the bores though, they have a 5 thou ridge at TDC, and are about 3 thou oval, which I think is pretty decent for a 60 year old engine.

20190919_183618.jpg

20190919_174020.jpg

It might be worth coating the new ones with shellac or similar before you put them in...I know you won’t be running in salt water but it won’t do any harm. Glad they came out ok! 

• 2 weeks later...

On 19/09/2019 at 19:36, steamraiser2 said:

You were lucky. We have had to go to 60 tons to shift them more than once. Nothing like a bit of salt water corrosion to rot them in!

Yes indeed. Pretty confident mine has never seen salt water :)

Where the liner is heavily pitted just above the upper land,the corresponding surface in the block is also heavily pitted rather than being a smooth cylinder......and this pitting will tear the new O rings as a new liner is pushed in.....I admit Ive never mucked around with JPs,but in Caterpillars of considerable value,Ive filled the cavitated area with devcon to restore a smooth surface for the liner seals.....Once the liner is installed ,it doesnt matter if the filler falls out,as its job is done..... the hole can also be bored out and a sleeve fitted......not cheap ,tho.

11 hours ago, john.k said:

Where the liner is heavily pitted just above the upper land,the corresponding surface in the block is also heavily pitted rather than being a smooth cylinder......and this pitting will tear the new O rings as a new liner is pushed in.....I admit Ive never mucked around with JPs,but in Caterpillars of considerable value,Ive filled the cavitated area with devcon to restore a smooth surface for the liner seals.....Once the liner is installed ,it doesnt matter if the filler falls out,as its job is done..... the hole can also be bored out and a sleeve fitted......not cheap ,tho.

Thanks for the tip. I haven't yet cleaned up the bore in the block - it doesn't look too bad, but then nor did my liners until I cleaned them up!