Blocking

Tash and Bex

Featured Posts

10 minutes ago, Tash and Bex said:

Is it possible to "block" some of the less helpful people on this site?

Yes. Hover your cursor above a particular person's avatar. A menu will drop down, and there you will be given the option to ignore.

Theoretically yes, but you will only block their own posts.  Every time somebody who you haven't blocked quotes one of their posts, youwill see their words quoted anyway.

So not much use, really?

Easier to just get to learn what to ignore.

Or find a different site, where less people annoy you.

Edited by alan_fincher

4 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

Theoretically yes, but you will only block their own posts.  Every time somebody who you haven't blocked quotes one of their posts, youwill see their words quoted anyway.

So not much use, really?

It does help. And, you can , if you become curious, allow to see a post of someone you have ignored. You cannot avoid seeing the odd quote, but it's not too big a problem.

Edited by Higgs

23 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

So not much use, really?

Yes Alan, that is the conclusion I am fast coming to. I was an active member of the site about ten years ago but left because of the arrogance of certain members. I was hoping the dinosaurs had become extinct by now but sadly not. Do you know if (I think it was) Gibbo is still about, he showed strong evidence of the sort of critical thinking I like?

5 minutes ago, Paul C said:

The main problem is that even if you have member(s) on ignore, they can continue their involvement in a thread (and obviously influence the path it takes, responses to their messages etc).

There is a certain amount of predictability. And, there are the occasional quotes that provide, usually, sufficient indications of changes, if any.

1 hour ago, Paul C said:

The main problem is that even if you have member(s) on ignore, they can continue their involvement in a thread (and obviously influence the path it takes, responses to their messages etc).

That's not really a problem - it helps you see the ongoing discussion in context, and it takes very little willpower to ignore a quoted post with the offensive member's name at the top.

My time on the forum is now much improved since I put nine of the more persistent pests and idiots on ignore. I still look occasionally to see if they have grown up or whether their testicles have dropped yet. No significant change noted to date, the same fools are still being a**e h*l*s

8 minutes ago, Boater Sam said:

My time on the forum is now much improved since I put nine of the more persistent pests and idiots on ignore. I still look occasionally to see if they have grown up or whether their testicles have dropped yet. No significant change noted to date, the same fools are still being a**e h*l*s

What happens if one of them quotes you?  Do you see it?  Get an alert?

2 hours ago, Machpoint005 said:

That's not really a problem - it helps you see the ongoing discussion in context, and it takes very little willpower to ignore a quoted post with the offensive member's name at the top.

I know and agree.

However if the blocker, effectively, wished that the blockee simply didn't post at all, then its an unachievable dream - they could still prolifically post, to the point that the site/forum is "clogged up" or "dragged down" by one or a small handful of persistent, annoying posters, effectively altering the whole tone of a thread (and possibly reflecting upon the whole forum in general). The only solution to this would be moderator intervention, possibly only on a fraction of such posts or subtly steering; or for other members to recognise this and apply pressure by other means (ie self-moderation). Or, you might perceive (and value) that this is okay - the forum should be free for anyone to say things, and it is better for that (warts and all).

AKA "the snowflake dilemma".

Edited by Paul C

1 hour ago, Paul C said:

the blockee 

How splendid. Of your own invention?

1 hour ago, Paul C said:

The only solution to this would be moderator intervention, possibly only on a fraction of such posts or subtly steering;

No one knows what goes on behind closed doors. Well, almost no one.

11 minutes ago, Athy said:

No one knows what goes on behind closed doors. Well, almost no one.

Indeed, but its secrecy can't be relied upon, nor it should be. In any case it was something of a "what if" scenario, and also food for thought on whether posters who are ar5****es but are adept at staying just on the right side of the line, or are able to exploit weaknesses in forum moderation, are welcome on the principle of freedom of speech for all; or should be discouraged on the basis of bringing negativity for the greater good of the forum. 

Fortunately its a bit of a non-issue  - they can post elsewhere if they so choose; and the moderators have the appropriate tools to do effectively as they please, because there's a wide range of vague, "catch all" rules in there anyway. 

The short answer is probably "Freedom of speech within the forum guidelines and the bounds of decency". The long answer would be, er, too long and involved. My point was that just because you don't see action being taken, that doesn't mean that action is not being taken.