Greetings - First post - Boat Build

Welshy

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, Athy said:

That depends on you! I have never lived aboard, but I've seen plenty of people living aboard shorter boats than that Our boat is 45 feet long and has a saloon with solid-fuel stove, a galley, a bathroom and a fixed double bed, which are the basics of what you'd need. It also has a five-foot engine room which you wouldn't need (most modern engines are tucked under the rear deck).

Further to my remarks above, I've looked up container sizes on the internet and it seems that 40 feet is the standard, so I'm a bit baffled by the 44-footers - but I do remember an article about East-West in one of the boating mags, where it was stated that these boats were made to fit into a container. EW do, or did, make 39-footers too, so perhaps those are the ones which can be "containerised".

I think you will find that a narrowboat more than about 39ft long is made in two parts, shipped in 40ft containers then welded together in the uk, pipes and wires joined etc.

1 minute ago, Chewbacka said:

I think you will find that a narrowboat more than about 39ft long is made in two parts, shipped in 40ft containers then welded together in the uk, pipes and wires joined etc.

I think you'e probably right - it sounds logical.

6 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Its a torture bed known as a cross bed though ?

I don't mind that. I'm not bedudiced.

i'd imagine you're really going to struggle to find "blueprints" for a boat shell, surely no builder who has spent years refining their shell is going to just hand it over to joe public?

whilst queuing at a lock earlier this year I got chatting to the chap in front (as you do) who told me his boat was a "Chinese container boat", he explained that it had been fully built in China to the maximum dimensions they could fit inside a shipping container, guess it was one of these East-West ones.