"outside the box" thinkers only please!!!

Featured Posts

This “box” seems a bit difficult to get out of, although I have seen some damage to the packing tape ? 

How about a compact combined heat and power solution? Heat recovered from the coolant and exhaust gas, and surplus electrical power (not being used for battery charging )for an immersion element.

No storage tank required if you configure it for indirect cooling. The canal water passing through the heat exchangers can be diverted though filters (and a UV lamp unit if you like) for the bath rather than being discharged over board.

Choose filters that can be back flushed during your normal bunkering routine.

Going back in my box now, its a bit bright out ?.

12 hours ago, Tash and Bex said:

I was there in 2008, so there must have been some crossover, butI was right down at the far end near the winding hole. I think there's some kind of humber keel there now.

Names I really remember are Peter, with MANY solar panels and a propensity to convert everything on the planet to LPG, and Keith, outright winner of several UK swearing awards.

I wasn't there too long , moved her to W.Stockwith after a few months 

Well Bex you know me and I have a bigger boat with more solar ! Keith is still there as well. Would you believe that I sold the garage and only occasionally convert cars to lpg. Good to see that you are still boating, and please don't leave the forum it needs ladies with bottle on here 

• Greenie 1

18 hours ago, Eeyore said:

This “box” seems a bit difficult to get out of, although I have seen some damage to the packing tape ? 

How about a compact combined heat and power solution? Heat recovered from the coolant and exhaust gas, and surplus electrical power (not being used for battery charging )for an immersion element.

No storage tank required if you configure it for indirect cooling. The canal water passing through the heat exchangers can be diverted though filters (and a UV lamp unit if you like) for the bath rather than being discharged over board.

Couple of relays, one to short the alternator regulator, another to connect the output to an immersion heater through a 15V zener.

• Greenie 1

18 hours ago, Eeyore said:

That all sounds MUCH quicker, cheaper and easier to fit than a calorifier. Wish I could think outside the box like you lot! :giggles:

Mind you, it's lovely and dark and comfy in here.... :)

• Greenie 2

3 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

That all sounds MUCH quicker, cheaper and easier to fit than a calorifier. Wish I could think outside the box like you lot! :giggles:

Mind you, it's lovely and dark and comfy in here.... :)

Its all about the box, or lack of it. All of the components for my “out of the box” solution are available delivered in or on a pallet, stillage, package, carton, blister pack, wrapping paper or bag. Box ticked ✔️

7 minutes ago, Eeyore said:

Its all about the box, or lack of it. All of the components for my “out of the box” solution are available delivered in or on a pallet, stillage, package, carton, blister pack, wrapping paper or bag. Box ticked ✔️

And the flaw in your plan is....

No-one, absolutely no-one, can open a blister pack without risk to life and limb.  ;)

• Haha 2

On 21/09/2019 at 15:36, Eeyore said:

Not sure that this idea is sufficiently outside the box.  Cressy's bath was filled with warmed canal by diverting the raw water cooling.  If it needed further heating, a Primus type stove could be lit beneath the bath.

I assume the bath is best made of steel - and that you would be well advised to extinguish  the stove a couple of minutes before sitting down.

50 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I am sure I once saw a diving suit conversion, with warm water pumped in, I think it was after an idea in Dad's Army, Pte Frazer [David Hayman] supplied the suit. 

Lots of diving suits are heated, you wouldn't work for long at saturation depths in the N Sea without them

• Greenie 1

59 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Lots of diving suits are heated, you wouldn't work for long at saturation depths in the N Sea without them

Put on the suit, squirt some shower gel down the neck hole, sorted!  Oh... only room for one though. At least there are no boxes in sight...

One could use a heat pump to warm the tank, with the canal water as heat source (heat conducted through the base plate). It would need a compressor for a more conventional system, but that could be mechanically powered using e.g. a gym stepping machine. After a couple of hours exercise a nice hot bath would be welcome. A diesel fired absorption heat pump would also work but I don't think anyone makes them. A market opportunity?

On 21/09/2019 at 21:24, peterboat said:

Well Bex you know me and I have a bigger boat with more solar ! Keith is still there as well. Would you believe that I sold the garage and only occasionally convert cars to lpg. Good to see that you are still boating, and please don't leave the forum it needs ladies with bottle on here 

Lol, I am presuming you might recall me, though I have changed a little since then. I have the same boat, albeit with more solar panels (2) and have lived aboard for about 4 years now. She's in Manchester but got here via london and leighton buzzard.

Good to get in contact again, hope you're well?

Glad to hear that Keith, the f**king F**ker is still kicking, pass on my regards please.

20 hours ago, Onewheeler said:

One could use a heat pump to warm the tank, with the canal water as heat source (heat conducted through the base plate). It would need a compressor for a more conventional system, but that could be mechanically powered using e.g. a gym stepping machine. After a couple of hours exercise a nice hot bath would be welcome. A diesel fired absorption heat pump would also work but I don't think anyone makes them. A market opportunity?

do you know (unrelated to the bath) I was just looking into the use of a heat pump for heating an all electric (hybrid I guess) boat.

• Greenie 1

4 minutes ago, Tash and Bex said:

Lol, I am presuming you might recall me, though I have changed a little since then. I have the same boat, albeit with more solar panels (2) and have lived aboard for about 4 years now. She's in Manchester but got here via london and leighton buzzard.

Good to get in contact again, hope you're well?

Glad to hear that Keith, the f**king F**ker is still kicking, pass on my regards please.

do you know (unrelated to the bath) I was just looking into the use of a heat pump for heating an all electric (hybrid I guess) boat.

Hi Bex yes I am very well thanks,  Keith is down here at the moment since his stroke he has become a land lubber! Funny you should say about electric boats as that is what mine is, I decided to do it when the writing was on the wall for red diesel. By the way you will be shot at dawn for saying such things like electric boats on here ?