"outside the box" thinkers only please!!!

Featured Posts

Ok.  Radiator connected with flexible pipes.  Fill bath with water and submerge radiator in the water.  Run rad on normal heating circuit.  When water is hot enough, remove radiator and hang on the wall to warm up the bathroom and your towel while you (and friend) ablute.

6 hours ago, Tash and Bex said:

As evidenced by the thread above, I clearly have more usable knowledge of the subject than the vast majority of the people who have chosen to comment, the general site membership is still, after all these years, willfully arrogant and ignorant, and despite the positive reactions and the engaging "conversations" I have had with several people, overall there is little point to my presence on this forum. I shall take my leave after I have witnessed the reactions to this post, which will amuse me no end.

perhaps you should consider that this is a forum in which any member may contribute and say whatever he or she wants, subject to the usual restrictions of good behaviour; that includes whatever attempts at humour other contributors would like to make. 

starting a thread that does not imply that you, the O.P., have ownership of the thread.  

perhaps you may like to reflect that it is you who comes across as willfully arrogant, especially when you suggest that 'the general site membership is ignorant'.

perhaps you should also reflect that in your case a sense of humour transplant may be in order.

you have my reaction ....................  enjoy, with whatever style of amusement you happen to retain, and with a smug smile if it fits you.   :wub:

trusting you will now take your leave before you are tempted to slag off the general membership again.    :cheers:

• Greenie 3

Might be time to cut Tash and Bex a bit so slack now folks. It's easy to misinterpret when the twinkle in the eye doesn't come across well in the written word, isn't it. We don't want to lose good members for silly misunderstandings, do we. Just sayin' like. :)

• Greenie 1

12 minutes ago, Murflynn said:

perhaps you should consider that this is a forum in which any member may contribute and say whatever he or she wants, subject to the usual restrictions of good behaviour; that includes whatever attempts at humour other contributors would like to make. 

starting a thread that does not imply that you, the O.P., have ownership of the thread.  

perhaps you may like to reflect that it is you who comes across as willfully arrogant, especially when you suggest that 'the general site membership is ignorant'.

perhaps you should also reflect that in your case a sense of humour transplant may be in order.

you have my reaction ....................  enjoy, with whatever style of amusement you happen to retain, and with a smug smile if it fits you.   :wub:

trusting you will now take your leave before you are tempted to slag off the general membership again.    :cheers:

LOL, bless, sooooo ironic.

I've requested my details removed from the site, I am looking into getting the thread removed.

As stated earlier, my attitude tends to be reflective, thank you however, for proving my point about the site.

I again state the general site membership is ignorant, in some cases abusive. 

Your bullying sir, is a good example of same.

Maybe I will stay a while after all, at least I might be able to help a few people in a less judgemental way.

10 minutes ago, Tash and Bex said:

Maybe I will stay a while after all, at least I might be able to help a few people in a less judgemental way.

I don't think the general site membership is ignorant and/or abusive - however I can see there is an element of regular posters who could be seen that way..

I hope you do stay around as I think you have a lot to offer, if you want to.

I can't help with your original question though as I really don't have a clue what to offer that hasn't been said already. Gas combi would have been my obvious choice but not very alternative and obviously involves gas, which you don't want. The solid fuel boiler I think is the best and most practical answer so far, and is at least a bit alternative.

John

Just now, jradley said:

I don't think the general site membership is ignorant and/or abusive - however I can see there is an element of regular posters who could be seen that way..

I hope you do stay around as I think you have a lot to offer, if you want to.

I can't help with your original question though as I really don't have a clue what to offer that hasn't been said already. Gas combi would have been my obvious choice but not very alternative and obviously involves gas, which you don't want. The solid fuel boiler I think is the best and most practical answer so far, and is at least a bit alternative.

John

Thanks John, it has to be said this was the same as the last time I was here, with almost all of the same "voices" 

I just really don't see why these people choose to "contribute"

Added the clear sexism that has been displayed and it has made me believe this is still the unwelcoming place it was ten years ago.

I honestly don't believe the vast majority of the site to fall into those categories,  but the ones that do seem to have the loudest voices here

34 minutes ago, Tash and Bex said:

LOL, bless, sooooo ironic.

I've requested my details removed from the site, I am looking into getting the thread removed.

As stated earlier, my attitude tends to be reflective, thank you however, for proving my point about the site.

Your bullying sir, is a good example of same.

Well as part of your sweeping generalisation I don't think I have been called abusive before, ignorant that's regular but abusive!

I wanted to comment  to second cuthounds supportive comment but after that wide ranging and ridiculous statement, meh

Edited by tree monkey

1 minute ago, tree monkey said:

Well as part of your sweeping generalisation I don't think I have been called abusive before, ignorant that's regular but abusive!

I wanted to comment  to second cuthounds supportive comment but after that wide ranging and ridiculous statement, meh

thank you for your comment indicating that you don't want to comment, it is appreciated.

2 hours ago, Tash and Bex said:

general consensus is that two calorifiers will give a decent hot bath then? 

Depends on the size of the cauliflowers and how much water you want in the bath I guess. If the former is sufficient for the latter then sure, why not. 

lol, I have currently got a 22l, i could possibly make room for another, but certainly no bigger. I just don't think that's enough to fill a bath.

I've tried my damndest to make room for a domestic calorifier, but it will be close to impossible. Even the swim plate is a tad busy, as that is where the generator lives

2 minutes ago, Graham Davis said:

CBA

awesome, don't be.

If I am honest Tash, this thread has done what most threads do on most forums, it has morphed into something else, No matter how hard you try to keep it on track others will derail it for their amusement. Among all the rubbish will be some sensible stuff, however the tripe sometimes stops you seeing it. Good luck with your project I have a bath on my boat and like you every now and then its great to have a long lay in a hot bath 

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, peterboat said:

If I am honest Tash, this thread has done what most threads do on most forums, it has morphed into something else, No matter how hard you try to keep it on track others will derail it for their amusement. Among all the rubbish will be some sensible stuff, however the tripe sometimes stops you seeing it. Good luck with your project I have a bath on my boat and like you every now and then its great to have a long lay in a hot bath 

I'm Bex Peter, and it's me in the photo.

I built helena largely at tully's in rotherham, not sure if you know it?

And you are right, I need to strengthen my BS filter, there have been some interesting takes on this.

3 minutes ago, Sir Nibble said:

What I would do. Put a copper worm in the bottom of the bath under a perforated false bottom. Run hot water through the worm heated either by a raw cooling type heat exchanger on the exhaust, or if that's impractical I would make a solid fuel boiler, perhaps running on bbq charcoal.

hmm, now then this kinda works, maybe not the false bottom bit, but I could easily circulate the bathwater around a plate heat exchanger.

The maths is really simple: for a bath of x litres, and using a figure of 10 deg C cold water and 85 deg C hot water, total calorifier* volume y litres:

* or whatever vessel is used to contain the heated water

bath temperature = (85y + 10(x-y))/x

(ie linear interpolation)

You could set a bath temperature and bath (water) volume, then calculate y the calorifier volume required:

bath temp 40 deg C

bath water volume (say) 150l to allow for some displacement

y = 60 litres

So, you'd need a 22l calorifier + 38l second calorifier.

This is simplified and assumes no losses in the pipework, lots of time to permit the calorifier water temp to rise asymptotically to the same as the heating source eg 85 deg C, and perfect mixing. Over time, the real-world system would tend towards this though.

(I'd prefer 200l at 45 deg C --> y=93.3, let's say second calorifier of 75l would do it).

Apparently the bath has to be big enough for two to bath in sometimes So I suggest to save hot water when only one is bathing that some other object of displacement is plonked in the bath as a Tash or Bex substitute, like a couple of bags of smokeless coal, or an old engine for example. :closedeyes:

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Tash and Bex said:

hmm, now then this kinda works, maybe not the false bottom bit, but I could easily circulate the bathwater around a plate heat exchanger.

So not really a lot different to what I suggested above ...

2 hours ago, Tash and Bex said:

I'm Bex Peter, and it's me in the photo.

I built helena largely at tully's in rotherham, not sure if you know it?

And you are right, I need to strengthen my BS filter, there have been some interesting takes on this.

Well I have been at Tullys for over 14 years so when were you here? Sorry about wrong name just chose the wrong one which is absolutely right for me 

11 hours ago, peterboat said:

Well I have been at Tullys for over 14 years so when were you here? Sorry about wrong name just chose the wrong one which is absolutely right for me 

I was there in 2008, so there must have been some crossover, butI was right down at the far end near the winding hole. I think there's some kind of humber keel there now.

Names I really remember are Peter, with MANY solar panels and a propensity to convert everything on the planet to LPG, and Keith, outright winner of several UK swearing awards.

I wasn't there too long , moved her to W.Stockwith after a few months 

• Love 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Tash and Bex said:

I was there in 2008, so there must have been some crossover, butI was right down at the far end near the winding hole. I think there's some kind of humber keel there now.

Names I really remember are Peter, with MANY solar panels and a propensity to convert everything on the planet to LPG, and Keith, outright winner of several UK swearing awards.

I wasn't there too long , moved her to W.Stockwith after a few months 

Peter, as in peterboat ? :)