"outside the box" thinkers only please!!!

Featured Posts

2 hours ago, Tash and Bex said:

As evidenced by the thread above, I clearly have more usable knowledge of the subject than the vast majority of the people who have chosen to comment, the general site membership is still, after all these years, willfully arrogant and ignorant, and despite the positive reactions and the engaging "conversations" I have had with several people, overall there is little point to my presence on this forum. I shall take my leave after I have witnessed the reactions to this post, which will amuse me no end.

Good day 

It's a DISCUSSION forum, so people will DISCUSS things, and trying to limit your discussion to only one side only goes against that.

2 hours ago, Tash and Bex said:

yes me too, and we accepted it as being "the best way"

It probably was at the time. Energy was cheap, controls expensive, clunky and pretty basic in what they could achieve.

As technology moves on more options become available. 

Is this the case for heating the water in a bath?

29 minutes ago, bizzard said:

They were supposed to be minus 150 watts.  Brand new lamps.  I used to go out on moonless cloudy nights collecting the darkness in black painted jam jars and then in my cellar under a red light of a photo lab red bulb transfer the darkness into the glass bulb and quickly bung the cap on to prevent it escaping.

Matter of fact I wrote an article abouit the invention on here a few years ago.

They probably won't work unless connected to a lunar panel. ?

1 minute ago, cuthound said:

It probably was at the time. Energy was cheap, controls expensive, clunky and pretty basic in what they could achieve.

As technology moves on more options become available. 

Is this the case for heating the water in a bath?

well that is the $6m question! It does seem to be worthy of investigation, particularly when combined with the unique circumstances of putting one in a boat.

I must confess to never giving ballast a second thought when I refitted my bathroom at home!

15 minutes ago, Graham Davis said:

It's a DISCUSSION forum, so people will DISCUSS things, and trying to limit your discussion to only one side only goes against that.

Indeed, discussion is ALWAYS encouraged. The "guide" to this DISCUSSION is ALTERNATIVE SOLUTIONS TO FILLING A BATH WITH WATER ON A BOAT.

Gosh those capital letters really do seem aggressive don't they. I'll not be doing that again!!

• Greenie 2

7 pages on, and I still kinda like my idea of 2x calorifiers. On further thought, it would make sense to have one big and one little. That way, in normal use, the little one could be used and you'd benefit from lower costs and faster warm up times. Because you'd have two, the little one could be sized smaller, it wouldn't need to be sized for the largest practical capacity needed (the second could help out in those instances).

Its pretty unusual to have two calorifiers. In a further departure from the norm, it would be horizontal, thus able to be integrated with (perhaps) the bedroom furniture.

Your original idea isn't too far from there, its just shape, materials and operating temperature/pressure. In determining those, we are all inescapably bound by the laws of physics.

38 minutes ago, cuthound said:

They probably won't work unless connected to a lunar panel. ?

Whilst out at night in the wilds of SE London thinking about dark bulbs I was bitten by a ferocious flying Luna-Tic. These tics are quite venomous. I tried the usual vinegar and Tiger balm on the bite but to no efect. I even tried administering doses of Bob Martins cat flea ointment.  Then before I could suck out the terrible venom, it travelled too fast and reached my brain, where its lodged ever since.  Its very oozy like the custard in a cheap Tesco doughnut.

Edited by bizzard
  • Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Tash and Bex said:

You are hilarious, and should be on stage.

Firstly. Please assume I know enough from extensive research about the conventional methods of boat water heating, and thus advise on same is unnecessary. My boats heating system, designed and installed by myself is working perfectly after 10 years of operation, and is extremely conventional.

Secondly, I make no apologies for questioning the conventional in place of a better solution. If no such solution exists, then I will choose which of the conventional methods suit my needs, or ask for opinion on that. If "conventional" is the better, then most of these comments hold merit, however as previously mentioned, I am not yet convinced that conventional is better in this case, and am looking for similar critical thinkers to bounce ideas off. There has been some evidence of that here, and it has been welcomed.

The majority of the posts on this thread have criticised my ideas, but given no reason why it wouldn't work. The people who have given me reasons as to why it wouldn't work are more around materials specification, ie "a plastic tank won't hold hot water" which is something I would need to research, but if it proves to be the case I will substitute plastic for stainless or similar. However is this simply conjecture or have these people actual empirical knowledge of the fact (a single example).

I was very involved with this site many years ago, the advise of several people helped considerably during my build and fit out of helena. Unfortunately those people appear to have left, a crying shame.

As evidenced by the thread above, I clearly have more usable knowledge of the subject than the vast majority of the people who have chosen to comment, the general site membership is still, after all these years, willfully arrogant and ignorant, and despite the positive reactions and the engaging "conversations" I have had with several people, overall there is little point to my presence on this forum. I shall take my leave after I have witnessed the reactions to this post, which will amuse me no end.

Good day 

Please close the door quietly on your way out. Slamming doors disturb died in the wool ideas!

Howard

Edited by howardang

2 hours ago, bizzard said:

They were supposed to be minus 150 watts.  Brand new lamps.  I used to go out on moonless cloudy nights collecting the darkness in black painted jam jars and then in my cellar under a red light of a photo lab red bulb transfer the darkness into the glass bulb and quickly bung the cap on to prevent it escaping.

Matter of fact I wrote an article abouit the invention on here a few years ago.

Note of caution: I bought two of these (-300 watts in total) and my batteries overflowed.

Edited by Sea Dog
Undo triple post!
  • Greenie 1

1 hour ago, howardang said:

Please close the door quietly on your way out. Slamming doors disturb died in the wool ideas!

Howard

"dyed" dear....you're welcome

2 hours ago, Paul C said:

7 pages on, and I still kinda like my idea of 2x calorifiers. On further thought, it would make sense to have one big and one little. That way, in normal use, the little one could be used and you'd benefit from lower costs and faster warm up times. Because you'd have two, the little one could be sized smaller, it wouldn't need to be sized for the largest practical capacity needed (the second could help out in those instances).

Its pretty unusual to have two calorifiers. In a further departure from the norm, it would be horizontal, thus able to be integrated with (perhaps) the bedroom furniture.

Your original idea isn't too far from there, its just shape, materials and operating temperature/pressure. In determining those, we are all inescapably bound by the laws of physics.

and a second calorifier could make use of the webasto and a solar collector on its second circuit. it would certainly work, and if I were to get a small vertical one akin to my existing one I could get it to fit next to the original i think.

general consensus is that two calorifiers will give a decent hot bath then? 

14 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Note of caution: I bought two of these (-300 watts in total) and my batteries overflowed.

Yes an overflowing battery is expected using dark bulbs.  I suggest buying a special Discharger called the ''Amp-eater'' to eat excessive amps and a special de-volting unit called an ''Uncontrolable Olympic 'Magnetic Pole Volt reducer'' available from Aldi good shops.

1 minute ago, bizzard said:

Yes an overflowing battery is expected using dark bulbs.  I suggest buying a special Discharger called the ''Amp-eater'' to eat excessive amps and a special de-volting unit called an ''Uncontrolable Olympic 'Magnetic Pole Volt reducer'' available from Aldi good shops.

could just turn the lights on

On an absolute roll today :)

3 minutes ago, Tash and Bex said:

good luck with that, a pack of boat wolves will likely jump on you soon and rip you to bits....fortunately most real boaters tend to be friendlier

I doubt it, they all know that I'm number 1 electrical exspirt on here.

2 minutes ago, Tash and Bex said:

I'll give ya your number one spot back, even before I prove it!

Thank you but I think Nicknorman reckons he's No 1 electrical expurt. So we would be downgraded to 2 and 3.  Not much chance for a number 4 though.  No 1 position used to be a chap who went by the name of FORTUNATA.

Thank you but I think Nicknorman reckons he's No 1 electrical expurt. So we would be downgraded to 2 and 3.  Not much chance for a number 4 though.  No 1 position used to be a chap who went by the name of FORTUNATA.

nah, Gibbo was the man.

1 minute ago, Tash and Bex said:

nah, Gibbo was the man.

But FORTUNATA was very funny-serious and would drone on regardless about, say, the filament of a Mullard wireless valve forever despite all opposition and rebuke as if they weren't fired at him.

6 hours ago, Tash and Bex said:

You are hilarious, and should be on stage.

Firstly. Please assume I know enough from extensive research about the conventional methods of boat water heating, and thus advise on same is unnecessary. My boats heating system, designed and installed by myself is working perfectly after 10 years of operation, and is extremely conventional.

Secondly, I make no apologies for questioning the conventional in place of a better solution. If no such solution exists, then I will choose which of the conventional methods suit my needs, or ask for opinion on that. If "conventional" is the better, then most of these comments hold merit, however as previously mentioned, I am not yet convinced that conventional is better in this case, and am looking for similar critical thinkers to bounce ideas off. There has been some evidence of that here, and it has been welcomed.

The majority of the posts on this thread have criticised my ideas, but given no reason why it wouldn't work. The people who have given me reasons as to why it wouldn't work are more around materials specification, ie "a plastic tank won't hold hot water" which is something I would need to research, but if it proves to be the case I will substitute plastic for stainless or similar. However is this simply conjecture or have these people actual empirical knowledge of the fact (a single example).

I was very involved with this site many years ago, the advise of several people helped considerably during my build and fit out of helena. Unfortunately those people appear to have left, a crying shame.

Good day 

Whoa

1 hour ago, bizzard said:

1 hour ago, Tash and Bex said:

could just turn the lights on

Surely you could use the dark bulbs to charge your batteries over night while you sleep. 

Seems an ideal solution, you discharge them when you are awake and the dark bulbs recharge them overnight.