"outside the box" thinkers only please!!!

Featured Posts

2 hours ago, Boater Sam said:

The Webasto is designed to operate on a closed circuit, feeding fresh water into it will not do the insides any good at all. 

In post #60 Cas446 mentioned heating a paddling pool directly using a Webasto. I'm not saying it's a good idea but it has been done. 

8 hours ago, Paul C said:

Surely by asking only for opinions from a subset of the forum membership, "outside the box thinkers only", the OP is de facto restricting the range of likely replies received, thus constraining herself into a boxed way of thinking?

is restricting your request to a limited group politically incorrect?  does this make the OP a 'boxist'?

The difficulty here is heating enough water from the boats fresh water tank. Its clear that what's needed here is some thinking outside of the box - indeed, anyone who thinks inside has been barred from contributing, so if there was a reasonably achievable solution, the OP has effectively rejected it in the first place. So, with this in mind, a change of tack. Firstly, the bather needs to gradually acclimatise to bathing in cold water. This is easily achievable in small steps using a bath ashore. I'd recommend getting to the stage where the addition of ice cubes is not a discomfort. Secondly, the need for the water to be from a clean, potable supply presents a challenge, so this also needs to be overcome. Fortunately, this can be done in tandem with the temperature training by simply not changing the water between baths. The gradual acclimatisation to ever colder and dirtier water, I'd suggest from now into the coming winter, should see the OP ready to bathe in the canal this coming spring.

You're welcome! :)

I follow this thread with disbelief.

i have had 2 boats with baths. The first a butty had a calorifier off the rayburn. End.

you wanted a bath you lit the rayburn (if it was out and 2 hrs later had a bath.) If the rayburn was already going you omitted stage 1. We continuously cruised and filled the tanks weekly.

the second boat had a kabolla it had a calorifier. Same process but oil, and the tanks did 2 weeks.

neither boat had immersions mains or any such stuff.

if itcould be done in the 80s it is surely possible now.

24 minutes ago, roland elsdon said:

I follow this thread with disbelief.

i have had 2 boats with baths. The first a butty had a calorifier off the rayburn. End.

you wanted a bath you lit the rayburn (if it was out and 2 hrs later had a bath.) If the rayburn was already going you omitted stage 1. We continuously cruised and filled the tanks weekly.

the second boat had a kabolla it had a calorifier. Same process but oil, and the tanks did 2 weeks.

neither boat had immersions mains or any such stuff.

if itcould be done in the 80s it is surely possible now.

it certainly is very possible, the question is are the conventional ways of doing it the best ways?

tell me, did your boats have full sized baths or those little ones?

1 hour ago, Sea Dog said:

The difficulty here is heating enough water from the boats fresh water tank. Its clear that what's needed here is some thinking outside of the box - indeed, anyone who thinks inside has been barred from contributing, so if there was a reasonably achievable solution, the OP has effectively rejected it in the first place. So, with this in mind, a change of tack. Firstly, the bather needs to gradually acclimatise to bathing in cold water. This is easily achievable in small steps using a bath ashore. I'd recommend getting to the stage where the addition of ice cubes is not a discomfort. Secondly, the need for the water to be from a clean, potable supply presents a challenge, so this also needs to be overcome. Fortunately, this can be done in tandem with the temperature training by simply not changing the water between baths. The gradual acclimatisation to ever colder and dirtier water, I'd suggest from now into the coming winter, should see the OP ready to bathe in the canal this coming spring.

You're welcome! :)

You are hilarious, and should be on stage.

Firstly. Please assume I know enough from extensive research about the conventional methods of boat water heating, and thus advise on same is unnecessary. My boats heating system, designed and installed by myself is working perfectly after 10 years of operation, and is extremely conventional.

Secondly, I make no apologies for questioning the conventional in place of a better solution. If no such solution exists, then I will choose which of the conventional methods suit my needs, or ask for opinion on that. If "conventional" is the better, then most of these comments hold merit, however as previously mentioned, I am not yet convinced that conventional is better in this case, and am looking for similar critical thinkers to bounce ideas off. There has been some evidence of that here, and it has been welcomed.

The majority of the posts on this thread have criticised my ideas, but given no reason why it wouldn't work. The people who have given me reasons as to why it wouldn't work are more around materials specification, ie "a plastic tank won't hold hot water" which is something I would need to research, but if it proves to be the case I will substitute plastic for stainless or similar. However is this simply conjecture or have these people actual empirical knowledge of the fact (a single example).

I was very involved with this site many years ago, the advise of several people helped considerably during my build and fit out of helena. Unfortunately those people appear to have left, a crying shame.

As evidenced by the thread above, I clearly have more usable knowledge of the subject than the vast majority of the people who have chosen to comment, the general site membership is still, after all these years, willfully arrogant and ignorant, and despite the positive reactions and the engaging "conversations" I have had with several people, overall there is little point to my presence on this forum. I shall take my leave after I have witnessed the reactions to this post, which will amuse me no end.

Good day 

18 hours ago, Paul C said:

When I was a kid the hot water/central heating thermostat was crudely controlled to switch on/off twice a day, at set times, rather than being customisable over the week with variable temperatures, linked to weather forecasts, and linked to mobile both for geofencing control and manual override.

yes me too, and we accepted it as being "the best way"

1 minute ago, Sea Dog said:

Well here's my reaction:

When you move outside conventional thinking, you need to accept that there'll be some whacky ideas, some stuck in the mud criticism, some downright rude reactions, and probably a bit if humour getting thrown in. If you really think outside the box, you'll be aware that the germ of an idea which informs your future direction might well come from any of those sources, often the most unexpected. Its counterproductive to attempt to box in the type of responses you would like when you ask for outside the box thoughts. 

Agreed, however it does "set the stall" for the kind of comments I would expect wouldn't you agree? whacky ideas are welcome, encouraged, however considerable amounts of what I presume you consider "humour" smacks more of verbal bullying. 

And yes, "germ of an idea" but that does involve some actual ideas doesn't it?

1 minute ago, Loddon said:

Bye

Bye to you too, whoever you are. Thank you for contributing.

2 minutes ago, Tash and Bex said:

Agreed, however it does "set the stall" for the kind of comments I would expect wouldn't you agree? whacky ideas are welcome, encouraged, however considerable amounts of what I presume you consider "humour" smacks more of verbal bullying. 

Just a bit harsh, methinks - I don't know about the considerable amounts, but certainly my own attempt at humour this morning was not aimed to cause offence, just maybe raise a smile. If you'd already been worn down by that point, I hadn't realised. Sorry :)

Anyway, on the bright side, you attracted 6 pages of responses, which is pretty good for an off the wall idea. Most crash and burn quite quickly; yours did rather well in terms of input and longevity, but given the difficulty of the challenge you set, it was really unlikely that such a good response would be made up entirely of great outside the box ideas. Many folk did their best, then the thread was a bit exhausted. The odd bit of humour, conventional thinking, or even criticism, does at least keep these threads alive and thus increases the exposure and the chance of that germ of an idea. Just my view, which I think is pragmatic and I hope may be helpful, but you're entitled to your own.

Best wishes. :)

• Greenie 1

15 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Just a bit harsh, methinks - I don't know about the considerable amounts, but certainly my own attempt at humour this morning was not aimed to cause offence, just maybe raise a smile. If you'd already been worn down by that point, I hadn't realised. Sorry :)

Anyway, on the bright side, you attracted 6 pages of responses, which is pretty good for an off the wall idea. Most crash and burn quite quickly; yours did rather well in terms of input and longevity, but given the difficulty of the challenge you set, it was really unlikely that such a good response would be made up entirely of great outside the box ideas. Many folk did their best, then the thread was a bit exhausted. The odd bit of humour, conventional thinking, or even criticism, does at least keep these threads alive and thus increases the exposure and the chance of that germ of an idea. Just my view, which I think is pragmatic and I hope may be helpful, but you're entitled to your own.

Best wishes. :)

Indeed, and maybe "see you on the cut"

1 hour ago, Tash and Bex said:

it certainly is very possible, the question is are the conventional ways of doing it the best ways?

One was full size victorian ( still there) the other three quarters. In the summer we lit rayburn in early evening  and that gave 48 hrs hot water due to good insulation.

neither boat had a shower.

1 hour ago, Tash and Bex said:

1 minute ago, roland elsdon said:

One was full size victorian ( still there) the other three quarters. In the summer we lit rayburn in early evening  and that gave 48 hrs hot water due to good insulation.

neither boat had a shower.

I had a solid fuel rayburn in the kitchen in my cottage, was an amazing bit of kit and made such good bread, though I didn't use it for hw as the back boiler had cracked....filled it full of sand planning to get to it "later"

If I were doing a total refit then I would certainly put it on the list, but I would struggle to find room in my current arrangement! was the full size bath on the centreline of your boat, if not, did filling affect ballast too much?

Whacky ideas :judge:.  I have four electric dark bulbs that I invented that don't work. The intention was to flog em to folk who worked nights who coudn't sleep unless the bedroom was totally dark during the day. They would switch on the usual electric light switch but the bulb would emit darkness instead of lightness and it would go as black as the hobs of hell and they would snooze well.    Wanna buy em.  :)

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, bizzard said:

Whacky ideas :judge:.  I have four electric dark bulbs that I invented that don't work. The intention was to flog em to folk who worked nights who coudn't sleep unless the bedroom was totally dark during the day. They would switch on the usual electric light switch but the bulb would emit darkness instead of lightness and it would go as black as the hobs of hell and they would snooze well.    Wanna buy em.  :)

no thank you, in my boat we obey the laws of physics.

5 minutes ago, bizzard said:

though.....how many watts are they, are they broken filament lamps, or are they broken led lamps?

5 minutes ago, Tash and Bex said:

no thank you, in my boat we obey the laws of physics.

though.....how many watts are they, are they broken filament lamps, or are they broken led lamps?

They were supposed to be minus 150 watts.  Brand new lamps.  I used to go out on moonless cloudy nights collecting the darkness in black painted jam jars and then in my cellar under a red light of a photo lab red bulb transfer the darkness into the glass bulb and quickly bung the cap on to prevent it escaping.

Matter of fact I wrote an article abouit the invention on here a few years ago.

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, bizzard said:

They were supposed to be minus 150 watts.  Brand new lamps.  I used to go out on moonless cloudy nights collecting the darkness in black painted jam jars and then in my cellar under a red light of a photo lab red bulb transfer the darkness into the glass bulb and quickly bung the cap on to prevent it escaping.

Matter of fact I wrote an article abouit the invention on here a few years ago.

that's news to me. 

I thought you had to buy your darkness ready-made, I had no idea you could generate it. 

if you can buy dark bulbs rated at -150 watts, perhaps if we had enough of them we could turn the UK carbon neutral within 2 years and zero carbon within my lifetime.