"outside the box" thinkers only please!!!

Featured Posts

Or there's the cheap ''stand up bath'' method.  Don a very loose fitting, very oversize wet suit. Heat a kettle of water to bath temperature. Pour into wet suit at the neck, squirt in some washing up liquid. Jump about and up and down for ten minutes to mix the liquid and water, to wash you thoroughly. Either lever apart a wet suit ankle or stand on head for five mins to drain. Remove wet suit, towel, talc and relax.

Edited by bizzard
  • Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

My fresh water tanks are like the one shown in the link below, albeit 400 ltrs each. The wall thickness is very substantial, probably 8mm. I'm sure they wouldn't deform too much at 40 degrees but I've no idea how they might perform at higher temperatures. 

https://www.tanks-direct.co.uk/water-tanks/water-storage-tanks/150-litre-water-tanks/150-litre-water-tank-flat.html

Just now, stegra said:

My fresh water tanks are like the one shown in the link below, albeit 400 ltrs each. The wall thickness is very substantial, probably 8mm. I'm sure they wouldn't deform too much at 40 degrees but I've no idea how they might perform at higher temperatures. 

https://www.tanks-direct.co.uk/water-tanks/water-storage-tanks/150-litre-water-tanks/150-litre-water-tank-flat.html

that's the badger! exactly what i am talking about!

5 minutes ago, Paul C said:

I think you're making progress!

Its probably worth asking "why is everyone installing a £500 calorifier instead of an £84 plastic rectangular tank?" If you can counteract those answers accurately, then it sounds like a good plan.

I suspect that the main reason is that a calorifier is designed for 85c water and to run at just under three bar, and a plastic tank...isn't

but as I pointed out in my original post, it only needs to fill my bath up, my far more conventional calorifier can continue sorting out the rest

Just now, Sea Dog said:

Stop now. Save the work, the expense, and the complications - just check in to a nice hotel when you feel like a bath. That's not only "outside the box", its outside the boat! ;)

lol, it's happening, my other half demands it!

21 minutes ago, Tash and Bex said:

I do have a webasto, but i am thinking of adding a second, a 5KW webasto will heat 150l with a 40c rise in around 40 minutes.

they are commonly available from breakers yards now, as they are fitted to many diesel cars. I can get a working one for around £50

Just be very careful if using an automotive one.

1) The voltage is slightly different

2) The chip is different

3) It is not a sealed system and Carbon Monoxide (and other nasties) can leak out into the boat (on a car they just 'drop down' and under the car.

It can be done but will cost considerable cash to do it so it is safe, and, works correctly.

3 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Just be very careful if using an automotive one.

1) The voltage is slightly different

2) The chip is different

3) It is not a sealed system and Carbon Monoxide (and other nasties) can leak out into the boat (on a car they just 'drop down' and under the car.

It can be done but will cost considerable cash to do it so it is safe, and, works correctly.

Indeedy, I've played with many in my time, product of having a friend at webasto who tries to make them break then makes better ones.

the marine ones do indeed start at a lower voltage, and have a lower voltage shutdown, there are a few other minor differences in the programming, but tbh they don't much make a difference.

In terms of room sealing, the only real difference is in the exhaust, stick it through a skin fitting and happy days!

Just now, Tash and Bex said:

Indeedy, I've played with many in my time, product of having a friend at webasto who tries to make them break then makes better ones.

the marine ones do indeed start at a lower voltage, and have a lower voltage shutdown, there are a few other minor differences in the programming, but tbh they don't much make a difference.

In terms of room sealing, the only real difference is in the exhaust, stick it through a skin fitting and happy days!

OK

Just now, Cas446 said:

I use a webasto thermo top v to heat a medium size paddling pool for the kids. Takes about 2 hours  to get warm, three hours and it's very toasty. The kids love it.  Heats the water directly. It's my spare for the boat. 

I've done that, in fact I stuck an old one in a little flightcase and i used to take it on camping trips for a good shower, little toilet tent, bilge pump and my webasto flightcase all fitted in a plastic crate, take it all out of the crate, fill the crate with water and stick the webasto hoses in.

ten minutes later the bilge pump delivered the hot water to the shower head, it was ace!

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, Tash and Bex said:

The first bit has been achieved with aplomb a multitude of times by boaters - it's the last bit that's the trick...!

4 hours ago, bizzard said:

Or there's the cheap ''stand up bath'' method.  Don a very loose fitting, very oversize wet suit. Heat a kettle of water to bath temperature. Pour into wet suit at the neck, squirt in some washing up liquid. Jump about and up and down for ten minutes to mix the liquid and water, to wash you thoroughly. Either lever apart a wet suit ankle or stand on head for five mins to drain. Remove wet suit, towel, talc and relax.

much better if you can afford a dry suit.  they hold water better, and they go all baggy so there is lots of room for your soapy water.  You just need to fit a sea cock to each of your suit's toes.  remember to stand in the shower while you do it.

......................  on the other hand, if you are permanently moored up in a city centre without shore power (or water I assume) and cannot go without a bath then sell the boat and buy a flat.   ...................  or find a local municipal swimming pool that has slipper baths.  (do they still exist?).

Edited by Murflynn

First, I confess I have only quickly skimmed all the posts, so this may have come up.  But why not one of the on-demand gas heaters? I confess I know little about using one on a boat, but I have seen a few installed. They don't take up a huge amount of space and just heat the water as you need and (I assume) as much water as you want. They are really gaining in populartiy in residental use and always struck me a great idea.  Since you don't see them very often, maybe there is a big disadvantage I am not aware of?

3 minutes ago, Kudzucraft said:

First, I confess I have only quickly skimmed all the posts, so this may have come up.  But why not one of the on-demand gas heaters? I confess I know little about using one on a boat, but I have seen a few installed. They don't take up a huge amount of space and just heat the water as you need and (I assume) as much water as you want. They are really gaining in populartiy in residental use and always struck me a great idea.  Since you don't see them very often, maybe there is a big disadvantage I am not aware of?

Or one could fit a oil combi boiler, does heating and hot water without a tank needs a bit of 230v ............

22 minutes ago, Kudzucraft said:

perhaps they are not BSS compliant?

3 hours ago, Kudzucraft said:

They would do fine too, if a nice high power one is selected.

The OP however, wants to "think outside the box", meaning he rejects all the obvious, practical and efficient methods in favour of difficult, awkward and less effective ways.

• Greenie 1

7 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

They would do fine too, if a nice high power one is selected.

The OP however, wants to "think outside the box", meaning he rejects all the obvious, practical and efficient methods in favour of difficult, awkward and less effective ways.

He? great observation skills, impressive.

Allow me to correct your post. I reject the obvious, practical and efficient methods in favour of a solution, whilst other more "traditional" thinkers just do what everyone else has always done as they believe it is the most practical and efficient way. I believe we call that "invention" and it has come in handy over the years.

Some of us are not satisfied with what other people have told us is the "only" way to do it and ask "why?"

It's fine not to be one of those people Mike, which is why I mentioned outside the box thinking, I did not want people telling me how other people do it, I have seen that, I am quite aware.

But thank you for your negative comments, I am reminded of why I left this site in the first place.

To make things crystal clear, I am asking for clarification as to whether what I am suggesting is non-compliant with the BSS, and expanding on this, wondering if anyone else has done similar, I am not asking how to make hot water for a bath.

I think Terry Pratchett once said something along the lines of "I'll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there is evidence of any thinking going on inside it."

12 hours ago, Kudzucraft said:

not really, and tbh it is probably what I am going to end up doing, in conjunction with my second water tank. I have been trying to avoid gas simply because I would prefer a gas free boat, and currently the only gas appliance I have is my cooker, which I hope to replace in the future.

It does unfortunately preclude me from gathering solar hot water, but hey ho eh!

18 minutes ago, Tash and Bex said:

To make things crystal clear, I am asking for clarification as to whether what I am suggesting is non-compliant with the BSS,

The BSS has nothing to say on the matter as the BSS is designed to stop 3rd parties (passers by, other boats etc) being damaged by your boat bursting into flames or exploding

The BSS is NOT about safety of your boat, or the occupants.

There is nothing to stop you having a 200 litre 'open' water tank if you want one.

The only compliance issue is your form of heating that water (if it is Gas) must comply with the GSIUR regulations (if you are a liveaboard)

9 minutes ago, Tash and Bex said:

I have been trying to avoid gas simply because I would prefer a gas free boat, and currently the only gas appliance I have is my cooker, which I hope to replace in the future.

It does unfortunately preclude me from gathering solar hot water, but hey ho eh!

I'm not quite following why having a 'gas-free' boat precludes you from solar ?

27 minutes ago, Tash and Bex said:

He? great observation skills, impressive.

Ah yes, I made an assumption. From your dogged determination to ignore the simple solution staring you in the face and do things the hard way, I assumed you were a bloke. An easy mistake to make. 

And you would not be the first bloke on here claiming to be female, if it turns out I'm right. 

• Greenie 1