Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Mike the Boilerman

Drinking up time....

Featured Posts

Just been invited tonight at 23.03 to sling our hooks by the Australian children behind the bar in the pub here. 

After briefly describing the rules to them as were in force in 1976 they seemed unconvinced and insisted we left, saying they were no longer paid after 11pm.

What ARE the 'calling time' and 'drinking up time' rules these days???

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

I reckon they looked at two old blokes drinking too much beer and reckoned they were doing us a good turn by sending us home. Maybe we should have started drinking earlier?

The barmaid going to bed with a big glass of wine was quite encouraging, it might be posh and expensive in Hungerford but at least they know how to drink.

...............Dave

4 minutes ago, dmr said:

I reckon they looked at two old blokes drinking too much beer and reckoned they were doing us a good turn by sending us home. Maybe we should have started drinking earlier?

The barmaid going to bed with a big glass of wine was quite encouraging, it might be posh and expensive in Hungerford but at least they know how to drink.

...............Dave

Yes funny how she denied any intention of drinking it, but seemed very attached to it!!

So it looks like a whole lot of drinking history has got lost, I reckon its all down to Mrs Thatcher.

Last orders at the bar

Time Gentlemen please

and then 20 mins to drink up.

But did have a spectacular drink the day that Thatcher died, I still blame her for the hangover.

...........Dave

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, dmr said:

But did have a spectacular drink the day that Thatcher died, I still blame her for the hangover.

My father in law always insisted he would dance on Maggie's grave when she died.

She died a few days after he had a knee replaced and couldn't stand on it for weeks. 

"She f**ked me one more time the b**ch!" is his take on the timing ...

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 2

Sorry dmr, only 10 minutes drinking up time - and in my old man’s pub it was rigidly enforced!

Back in the dark ages (40’s 50’s and 60’s) the licensee could lose their license over virtually anything if the police pushed it. One time a drunk was found wandering the town centre (Kettering) and the police tried to blame us - went to court and only a very smart and expensive barrister got my old man off.

7 minutes ago, Mike Tee said:

Sorry dmr, only 10 minutes drinking up time - and in my old man’s pub it was rigidly enforced!

ff.

Was it not  extended to 20 minutes, perhaps in the 1980s?

In my younger days I used to drink in a pub near the Rotherham/Doncaster boundary.  The two regions had different closing times so we supped up at 10.40 in the Travellers Rest then all piled in to my mates Morris 1000 van, as many as we could fit in, for a thrash over the border to catch last orders in Doncaster. 

A lot of pubs posted a sentry on the door to watch out for the Police and the cry of get yer beer off lads was taken deadly serious,  

Great days.  Personally I miss the old closing times. 

Drinking up time as a legal definition disappeared in 2003, from Wikipedia:

The consumption of alcohol itself is not considered a "licensable activity" under the new Licensing Act. Therefore, "drinking-up time" (DUT) has no legal meaning and has disappeared. For many years ten minutes (and later extended to twenty minutes) was the legal dispensation which allowed the consumption of alcohol to continue after the official closing time, which in recent times meant that customers could still drink what they had already bought until 23:20, subject to the licensee's discretion. After that time consumption had to also stop.

With the end of standard permitted hours, this concession became irrelevant and there is no mention of DUT in the 2003 Act. Instead, applicants for premises licences can specify the maximum period (their "Opening Hours") for which they wish to allow their customers to stay after the time at which the sale of alcohol ends ("the terminal hour") within their Operating Schedule. Some licences do not specify opening hours at all, which allows an unspecified drinking up time, determined only by the licensee's discretion. In contrast, some licensees call for "last orders" twenty minutes (or more) before the end of the opening hours specified on their premises license

Tim

3 hours ago, Athy said:

I wasn't in the country much during the 80's, was doing my drinking under the stars (when we could get it!) - am sure you are right though.

13 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Just been invited tonight at 23.03 to sling our hooks by the Australian children behind the bar in the pub here. 

After briefly describing the rules to them as were in force in 1976 they seemed unconvinced and insisted we left, saying they were no longer paid after 11pm.

If I were being paid until eleven, I would be out the door at a minute past. Anything after that is the bosses problem. 

5 hours ago, Athy said:

Correct. It was ten and extended to twenty. It no longer exists, there have been huge changes in licensing law, ninety percent of which have been to the detriment of proper pubs.

We did try to explain the concept of the "Lock in" but its a posh pub with big windows and no curtains so it was a bit of a non starter.

............Dave

3 minutes ago, dmr said:

We did try to explain the concept of the "Lock in" but its a posh pub with big windows and no curtains so it was a bit of a non starter.

............Dave

Why does beer taste better during a lock-in ? :cheers:

14 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

shouldnt this be in the politics section?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Phoenix_V said:

yes

Threads about pubs have always been in the virtual pub, what the hell is political about someone being asked to leave a pub and drinking up time :banghead:

We have a cunning plan, tonight we start drinking at 6:30 and so can leave well before they need to chuck us out.

.............Dave

• Happy 1

5 minutes ago, dmr said:

We have a cunning plan, tonight we start drinking at 6:30 and so can leave well before they need to chuck us out.

.............Dave

This indeed a cunning plan. In fact, it's a brilliant plan which I myself have put into action on a number of occasions. Strangely, I've never quite managed to pull it off and I've found myself still in the pub at closing time. I continue to look for the flaw in the plan, sometimes quite scientifically by keeping notes so I can write up the experiment later and use the gathered data to formulate conclusions and correct whatever it is that goes wrong. Somehow though, I always seem to misplace my notes and wake up sharing my pillow with a kebab. Maybe you'll have more success?

• Greenie 1

This is a problem for us too, Gillie is an early evening drinker and likes a beer at about 6, whilst I prefer to start later and stay till shutting time. We have found a compromise that suits both of us but it tends to be expensive and unhealthy.

............Dave

3 hours ago, dmr said:

............Dave

A favourite pub of mine recently locked the doors at 11pm and the landlord very politely asked “you don’t mind if we smoke do you?” 

“as long as I can join in?” I said. 

I think it was gone 2am when we left. 

The afternoon lock in on a Sunday used to be brilliant. But you had to be in the bar at least an hour before they drew the curtains and bolted the door otherwise you were deemed to be taking the piss and only turning up for the lock in. 

Must be 30 years now since all day opening came in?