Walk through toilet vs wet room

Nigel Sengupta

Featured Posts

I would imagine a proper wet room might be fairly unusual on a narrowboat.  Thing is the boats expand and contract with heat so doors often have gaps above and below to allow for this.  That makes a wet room tricky to do.

These days, walk through bathrooms are pretty common.  You get more space for cat swinging but use of the bathroom blocks passage through the boat.  Swings and roundabouts.

I have thought about this in considering boat purchase...

Must admit - some of these walk-thru layouts can give the appearance that there is a toilet at one end of the sitting area or the bedroom space.

I like the loo to be closed off, both for maintenance of access through the boat and for aesthetics.

In fact, I think I prefer a toilet area that is hermetically sealed!!!

if you're single handed and of advancing years it is probably wise to have the toilet where you can reach the tiller, and fitted with one of those hemispherical acrylic roof bubbles that you see on ocean-going racing yachts, so that if you get caught short when cruising you can duck down inside and do the business while keeping control of the boat.   

or not.   

coat .....................................   :boat:

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

I think this thread would get a lot more attention if it was reposted in a different part of the forum; maybe Boat Building & Maintenance. 

Edit: This comment looks a bit silly now. The thread was originally in the developers' test section. 

Edited by stegra

We have had walk through bathroom for 20 yrs It has sliding doors on opposite sides of the boat, a small bath and a bog. I often walk through when Mrs Rusty is sat on the bog. I don't think she would appreciate me posting a picture.

It is a minor inconvenience very rarely, but there are only two of us on the boat.

When I bought my boat 7 years ago it had a separate shower room off an unused space corridor to bedroom.

After living on it for a few years I decided to remove the shower and wall and have a full width bathroom. I find it good, as before the multifuel stove gravity heating rad was in the corridor, now in bathroom and have 4ft long bath with shower over and space to move around.

The biggest change this enabled was having a central door to the bathroom was having units on both sides in the galley. Enabled space for washer/dryer. Separate fridge and freezer and slimline dishwasher.

I don't like the toilet being on view with the door from galley open but existing window layout dictated bath position. Would of had corner shower cubicle where toilet is.

A few pictures of current bathroom and old galley with corridor. Got to raise up toilet wall as new loo higher than old 200.

James

Walk 1.jpg

Walk2.jpg

Narrowboat1012.jpg

boat kitchen.jpg

Edited by canals are us?