River Trent - narrowboat in trouble but all now safe

Momac

Featured Posts

That sounds like a close call and must have been quite scary for those involved.

It doesn't surprise me that the lock keeper there stepped up to do what was necessary, I can take a guess who it might have been that was involved too.

The problem I have with these sort of posts is that each time something goes a bit wrong on The Trent people broadcast it and a few more boaters decide the river is far too scary for them to venture onto. I think anyone reading this needs to be aware that things only go wrong very rarely. If a boat sinks in a lock it will always get reported on this forum along with a discussion of how it happened and what went wrong. It doesn't stop boaters from going through locks and locks are used thousands of times without any issue at all. The same applies to The Trent. It is a beautiful river and is, in my opinion, a stretch of water to be enjoyed. Yes, it does need to be respected (as do locks) but it is not something to be feared.

Give your engine a treat by getting some deep water under the prop and making it work for a change. It's a great way to give it a tune up!

• Greenie 3

I didnt intend my post to put people off.

However any boat to be used on the tidal  river should be particularly well prepared. In this case I think the fault was probably not forseeable.

C&RT get a lot of criticism on this forum. In this case everything was done that was reasonably possible. 

The person who helped also deserves credit. 

• Greenie 1

Sounds like a lucky escape as the last time this happened below Stockwith the boat sank on the incoming tide.

If the pump was at fault it probably was unavoidable but through experience I’d  guess 80% of problems on the river are fuel related. 

It also makes a strong case for doing it “the other way” as Mr Dunkley used to say, approaching the lock on the flooding tide. At least then if you do have a mechanical issue there’s more time to deal with it before you start being dragged out towards the Humber. I know not everyone (or their boats) are comfortable punching a tide but it could be offered as an option by the keeper when booking in, cruisers of course do it anyway. 

If you come down from Torksey on a falling tide the first time you’ll be putting maximum strain on everything is after turning to stem the flow below Stockwith. Probably not the best place. 

20 minutes ago, Neil2 said:

I didn't think RCR offered a rescue service on rivers?  ...

RCR territorial limits, from their T&Cs:  "All inland waterways within the borders of England, Wales and Scotland, excluding tidal estuaries (but including the tidal stretch of the River Trent from Newark to Keadby) "

the trent is a pussycat if you are familiar with tidal waters.

ALWAYS have a suitable anchor, and in addition a decent mud weight can get you out of many a scrape, I think it is important to assume you're going to break down on every tidal or rather "flowing water" trip and make arrangements to mitigate an occurrence.

• Greenie 1