Birmingham centre ring

Philip

Featured Posts

Hopefully going to be out on the boat next week, if things go to plan I should have 3/4 of a free day in Birmingham, with the only aim to be around Alvechurch by the evening. I was wondering about going down Farmers Bridge locks, then the Aston locks, Salford Junction and then make my way back to Farmers Bridge via the Birmingham & Warwick, Digbeth Branch and Ashted locks. I've never done any of these flights so it seems a worthwhile way to spend some free time. How long would this take roughly please, including the trips through Farmers Bridge? And is it an easy route to single hand?

Edited by Philip

5 minutes ago, Ex Brummie said:

Over 40 locks single handed in 3/4's of a day? That's adventurous.

I did all the narrow locks on the Stratford in one day in June (including Kingswood branch) and some of them were awkward...this seems like a piece of cake in comparison!

39 minutes ago, Philip said:

I did all the narrow locks on the Stratford in one day in June (including Kingswood branch) and some of them were awkward...this seems like a piece of cake in comparison!

The locks on the BCN are a piece of cake. Easy to use and gentle. 

I’ve single handed around Brum a fair bit. 

The question with your route is where to stop over night? I’d suggest Star City. 

Two days at a steady pace. Overnighting at Star City. 

I’ll have a look back at my map and notes later to see times on the flights. 

Have you already explored other areas around Birmingham? 

19 minutes ago, Goliath said:

The locks on the BCN are a piece of cake. Easy to use and gentle. 

I’ve single handed around Brum a fair bit. 

The question with your route is where to stop over night? I’d suggest Star City. 

Two days at a steady pace. Overnighting at Star City. 

I’ll have a look back at my map and notes later to see times on the flights. 

Have you already explored other areas around Birmingham? 

Ah...my idea was to do the whole ring and then head to Alvechurch in the same day, perhaps I've misjudged the time it'd take to do all the locks!

I've done all of the the two main lines and the two 3-lock connecting branches, Netherton tunnel branch and Dudley/Stourbridge canals from Windmill End to Stourton. Also did Birmingham to Salford Junction via Ryders Green and Perry Barr in 2016 when the Aston flight was closed.

With a fair wind behind you, you could probably single hand all the locks in about 8 hours.  Then it's about 3.5 hours to Alvechurch.  All this could easily take more.  Have you done the three loops?  That would be gentler.

1 hour ago, Philip said:

That's 50+ locks! Well done.  Have you considered entering the BCN Challenge?

I misread “3/4”

you got 3 quarters of a day

not 3 to 4

My silly mistake. 

Have an half day in the Museum and Art Gallery instead and a pint in the Post Office Vaults. 

7 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

With a fair wind behind you, you could probably single hand all the locks in about 8 hours.  Then it's about 3.5 hours to Alvechurch.  All this could easily take more.  Have you done the three loops?  That would be gentler.

Yes do the challenge. 

?

1 hour ago, doratheexplorer said:

Do you mean the loops off the main line? I did the loop that passes Sherborne Wharf in June, but none of the others. Plan for the day before is Brewood to Birmingham with a stop off at the BCLM to sample the fish and chips and then a quick detour through Netherton. So I guess I may have time to do the loops later that afternoon on the way into Birmingham?

Thanks, I found the locks above Kingswood a lot easier than some of the ones towards Stratford! I'd enjoy the Challenge, there's so much of the network that I'd like to do but haven't had time to (being based at the northern end of the Shroppie), only thing is the weed hatch is a bit of a faff around to get at on my boat, more than just lifting a deck cover! So that puts me off venturing up the more 'cluttered' parts a bit! Perhaps something to consider for next year though, with a bit of planning!

Edited by Philip

5 hours ago, Philip said:

I was wondering about going down Farmers Bridge locks, then the Aston locks, Salford Junction and then make my way back to Farmers Bridge via the Birmingham & Warwick, Digbeth Branch and Ashted locks

3 hours ago, doratheexplorer said:

Have you considered entering the BCN Challenge?

That didn't work out too well for the boat that tried it this year - it was an either/or scoring route.

Wasn't it @tree monkey!

2 hours ago, Philip said:

Do you mean the loops off the main line? Yes, Oozels Loop, Icknield Loop, Soho Loop. I did the loop that passes Sherborne Wharf in June, but none of the others. Plan for the day before is Brewood to Birmingham with a stop off at the BCLM to sample the fish and chips and then a quick detour through Netherton. So I guess I may have time to do the loops later that afternoon on the way into Birmingham?

Thanks, I found the locks above Kingswood a lot easier than some of the ones towards Stratford! They're extra hard because of the single bottom gates IMO I'd enjoy the Challenge, there's so much of the network that I'd like to do but haven't had time to (being based at the northern end of the Shroppie), only thing is the weed hatch is a bit of a faff around to get at on my boat, more than just lifting a deck cover! So that puts me off venturing up the more 'cluttered' parts a bit! Perhaps something to consider for next year though, with a bit of planning!  Go for it!  The Biscuit Man looks like he could do with some competition in defending his crown.

If I am reading 5his correctly, you have 3/4 of a day, ie less than one day.  I don’t think you want to be attempting down Farmers Bridge and Aston, and then back on Garrison, Ashted and Farmers Bridge in that time!  Even with a good crew that is a big ask.

My suggestion for 3/4 of a day from the centre of Birmingham would be down the New Main Line (take in the loops if you want), then up Smethwick locks and Old Main Line, then down Spon Lane locks back to the New Main Line back to Old Turn.  If you wanted a bit further you could stay on the Old Main Line and come down Brades to the New Main Line, rather than down Spon Lane.

12 hours ago, Philip said:

I was wondering about going down Farmers Bridge

Last time we did FB, we shot down in an hour and a quarter, they are all close on each other, so short pounds, which would have been a b$$ger if we had met something coming up (we didn’t).  We also got lucky with them all in our favour, which is unusual early in the morning, and suggests that the bottom gates are fairly water tight!

Edited by The Dreamer

12 hours ago, Philip said:

aim to be around Alvechurch by the evening.

Looking at you timing, Gas Street to Alvechurch, whilst lock free is about 4 hours, which is half a long day (in my book), or a third of daylight hours (at this time of year).  I think you might be a bit ambitious with this itinerary...

Another option to consider if you haven't done it before is the Titford canal for a trip round the pools. Could come back via Brades (the only staircase on the BCN).

Should be doable in the time you have. Locks on the Titford are some of the fastest I've worked and very easy single handed. 

16 hours ago, Philip said:

Hopefully going to be out on the boat next week, if things go to plan I should have 3/4 of a free day in Birmingham, with the only aim to be around Alvechurch by the evening. I was wondering about going down Farmers Bridge locks, then the Aston locks, Salford Junction and then make my way back to Farmers Bridge via the Birmingham & Warwick, Digbeth Branch and Ashted locks. I've never done any of these flights so it seems a worthwhile way to spend some free time. How long would this take roughly please, including the trips through Farmers Bridge? And is it an easy route to single hand?

At Canalplan's default settings the trip from Old Turn via Salford Bridge, Bordesley and Aston junctions, back up to Old Turn then to Alvechurch Marina is 21 miles and 48 locks and will take 15 hours 25 minutes. To do this in a day you will need an early start, to be as fast through locks singlehanded as canalplan's typical with-crew times, and be prepared to boat on well after dark.

Better to allow a day and a half or choose a less ambitious alternative.

Edited by David Mack

9 hours ago, Tom and Bex said:

Another option to consider if you haven't done it before is the Titford canal for a trip round the pools. Could come back via Brades (the only staircase on the BCN).

Should be doable in the time you have. Locks on the Titford are some of the fastest I've worked and very easy single handed. 

At least one pool is out of action at the moment.  Big dredging stuff going on. https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/news-and-views/news/gbp31-million-investment-secured-to-improve-titford-pools

On 17/09/2019 at 08:37, Philip said:

That's 53 locks and canal planner estimates at about 14.5 hours.  Rather you than me!  I like my boating to be relaxing. 

Possible with a long day in June though.  Canal planner has this Birmingham route as taking longer, the days are now shorter and you say you only 3/4 of a day.  In my view it's a no go.  Why not enjoy the sights of Birmingham in the morning and head for Alvechurch at about lunch time?

I recall from previous threads that Philip has a small cruiser and routinely covers distances in one day that others would consider prohibitive.

The first thing to consider is there is absolutely no point in arriving at Alvechurch before 1900 because the Weighbridge doesn’t open until then. I suspect 12 hours may prove sufficient since even single handing I suspect Canal Plan times can be easily bettered at Farmers Bridge and Aston. I can say as a fact that 75 minutes for the Farmers Bridge flight with a crew will win no prizes. Ultimately I believe it’s possible within current daylight hours and ultimately it’s the OPs choice. Good luck if you go for it.

JP

16 hours ago, David Mack said:

At Canalplan's default settings the trip from Old Turn via Salford Bridge, Bordesley and Aston junctions, back up to Old Turn then to Alvechurch Marina is 21 miles and 48 locks and will take 15 hours 25 minutes. To do this in a day you will need an early start, to be as fast through locks singlehanded as canalplan's typical with-crew times, and be prepared to boat on well after dark.

Better to allow a day and a half or choose a less ambitious alternative.

Even single handed you'll be miles quicker on all those locks than canalplan's default settings. In fact I think it would be difficult to work slowly enough to get even close to the default on those locks. 

I've just read a (probably very unfair) comment by Jeremy Clarkson from years ago  - "what is the similarity between Birmingham and a communal bath tub after the rugby team has bathed?   They are both empty in the middle and have a ring of scum round the outside".

..............................   coat ................  :boat:

7 hours ago, Captain Pegg said:

I recall from previous threads that Philip has a small cruiser and routinely covers distances in one day that others would consider prohibitive.

The first thing to consider is there is absolutely no point in arriving at Alvechurch before 1900 because the Weighbridge doesn’t open until then. I suspect 12 hours may prove sufficient since even single handing I suspect Canal Plan times can be easily bettered at Farmers Bridge and Aston. I can say as a fact that 75 minutes for the Farmers Bridge flight with a crew will win no prizes. Ultimately I believe it’s possible within current daylight hours and ultimately it’s the OPs choice. Good luck if you go for it.

JP

I hope he goes for it and tells us how it went. 

Personally I’d split it into 2 relaxed days to enjoy and appreciate it. But he hasn’t that option 

Edited by Goliath