Impact of White diesel cost per month

Mick in Bangkok

Featured Posts

1 minute ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I think you have.

There was a suggestion to disconnect the existing fuel tank (from the engine) and use it for red diesel for powering everything 'domestic'.

A jerry can (22 litres) of white diesel could be used to supply the engine giving about 12 hours cruising ( a week or more ?)

2 jerry cans could give a couple of weeks propulsion.

So if you are on the K&A with a cruising range of 17.7 miles in a year, will you empty your 2 cans before CRT turn nasty??

• Happy 1

Another option is to remove the engine gearbox, shaft and prop.

Weld an outboard bracket on the stern

Fit a petrol outboard engine.

Use the engine as a generator, keeps the batteries charged and produces hot-water.

Win - Win

Edit to add before the smart ars*s comment.

Weld up the shaft 'hole' !!!!

Edited by Alan de Enfield

10 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I think you have.

There was a suggestion to disconnect the existing fuel tank (from the engine) and use it for red diesel for powering everything 'domestic'.

A jerry can (22 litres) of white diesel could be used to supply the engine giving about 12 hours cruising ( a week or more ?)

2 jerry cans could give a couple of weeks propulsion.

But then petrol came into the conversation for some reason saying the BSS accepts that and keeping it in a gas locker arrangement.

7 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Use the engine as a generator, keeps the batteries charged and produces hot-water.

Win - Win

That would be a good option for some, who only move to say the water point, or to get the boat blacked very few years.

1 minute ago, ditchcrawler said:

But then petrol came into the conversation for some reason saying the BSS accepts that and keeping it in a gas locker arrangement.

Following the suggestion a can of diesel would not be BSS compliant - it was then suggested that as a can of petrol is compliant therefore diesel should not be a problem

Thinking about this with my situation: I use around 100 litres of diesel a year, I keep my tank (250l) fairly well topped up to avoid condensation forming. If I start filling with white the remnants of the red will be there for several years. Surely I can't be expected to dispose of fuel that was bought legally at the time, in order to satisfy a new law? Is this correct?

19 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Following the suggestion a can of diesel would not be BSS compliant - it was then suggested that as a can of petrol is compliant therefore diesel should not be a problem

Ah,but you have to think the way officialdom thinks, A gallon of diesel has more calories than a gallon of petrol,therefore if either catches fire,the diesel will burn longer.(Ignore the fact that petrol is more volatile than diesel)

32 minutes ago, The Welsh Cruiser said:

Thinking about this with my situation: I use around 100 litres of diesel a year, I keep my tank (250l) fairly well topped up to avoid condensation forming. If I start filling with white the remnants of the red will be there for several years. Surely I can't be expected to dispose of fuel that was bought legally at the time, in order to satisfy a new law? Is this correct?

You are not legally required to replace your fuel.  I think cars selected for dipping tend to be intelligence lead, so if you are recorded buying red you just might get a visit.  Though if it is going to take years I would record engine hours when servicing to demonstrate engine run hours per year to justify your low usage. You might also find the crt sighting records helpful if you are recorded for weeks at a time on your moorings.

The boat (Widebeam) I’m about to buy had the luxury of having 2 x 360ltr fuel tanks so I intend piping one for central heating on red diesel and the other for white. I’m guessing it’s in the lap of the gods if red diesel disappears from the waterside but at least I have options which isn’t a bad thing. Just as a side thought am I right in thinking all this is down to an EU ruling? If so if and when Boris get us away from Brussels does this still apply? Sorry if I’m being thick.

14 minutes ago, Chewbacka said:

You are not legally required to replace your fuel.  I think cars selected for dipping tend to be intelligence lead, so if you are recorded buying red you just might get a visit.  Though if it is going to take years I would record engine hours when servicing to demonstrate engine run hours per year to justify your low usage. You might also find the crt sighting records helpful if you are recorded for weeks at a time on your moorings.

Cheers for that. Using white diesel will cost me a little more but not too much, being a low volume user. I'd strongly object if I were required to get rid of perfectly legal fuel! 

4 minutes ago, WotEver said:

For diesel?

1) The BSS covers fixed engine installations with a portable fuel supply.

2) Also remember that there are such things as diesel outboards.

1 minute ago, ditchcrawler said:

But outboards dont sit in your engine room, inlest you are suggesting this tank is left standing on the rear deck

Inlest - unless ?

That is exactly what I am suggesting, or, in a dedicated locker (like the gas cylinders)  - in accordance with the BSS

"portable fuel system supplying a permanently installed inboard engine",

2 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Win - Win

Better still fit an electric outboard a win win win ?

• Happy 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

That sort of pattern (or even more hours per day) tends to be what  '1 week hire boaters' do to maximise the distance travelled and the experiences of locks etc.

In reality you will want to cruise from A-B (could be 4 hours or it could be 10 hours) then stay for a day or two investigating the castles, churches, pubs, museums, history etc etc.

Then move again for a few hours, then maybe stopping in a nice quiet scenic area in the 'middle of nowhere' for a few days, then move on replenish food water etc  and ………..

There is no-rush to get somewhere and by whizzing past places and not stopping you miss much of what is best about boating.

My only experience to date is on a hire boat in 2018 so glade for your feed back. Would running for a couple of hours a day when non cruising add up to much fuel consumption?

5 hours ago, Mick in Bangkok said:

My only experience to date is on a hire boat in 2018 so glade for your feed back. Would running for a couple of hours a day when non cruising add up to much fuel consumption?

Depends on your engine. My little 2 pot Vetus consumes half a litre an hour when battery charging but I rarely do it, I prefer to use a generator. 

5 hours ago, Mick in Bangkok said:

My estimate for my engine in litres per hour

battery charging @1200 rpm is about 1

canal travel including idle in locks = 1.5 to 2

up the river Severn = 5