Testing an Eberspascher (sp?) ?

NewCanalBoy

Featured Posts

Yes, God knows how to spell it.

Can you test to see if Eberthingy heater until works if it currently does not have s fuel feed ?

Can you give it a 12v feed to see if the fan unit works on it or does it require a fuel pressure before.

Just trying to work out if a unit I have is working or not.

There is a multi plug electrical socket but don't know if I can test something through there.

10 minutes ago, NewCanalBoy said:

I thought it needed a pump to put pressure to it ?

Does it just draw diesel through then ?

It needs the metering pump connected, yes, but that will happily sip from a can of fuel.  That and a fully charged battery are all you need to run it up and test it.

The place I had ours serviced at, the boatyard at Gailey top lock, have a test rig set up outside to run the heaters on. It supplies a fuel source, electrical source and a coolant source since my limited understanding of the things is that without these three, the management unit detects a fault and will not let the thing start.

7 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

It needs the metering pump connected, yes, but that will happily sip from a can of fuel.  That and a fully charged battery are all you need to run it up and test it.

Is the metering pump a separate thing or is it built into the unit ?

1 hour ago, MartynG said:

Separate.

Ok, in that case I haven't got one !!

Might need to unbolt it and take it to someone.

I remember now asking about how fuel efficient they are and it didn't seem like they were very.......off to start another thread.......

12 minutes ago, NewCanalBoy said:

Oh I see, you mean the main fuel pump for the engine ?

No, it looks like this and goes in the fuel line to the unit:

image.png.4aef0f38d99f1d3495d3bf74da951408.png

But I see there are now two threads running on air heaters that won't start. Maybe I'm confusing the two threads.

6 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

No, it looks like this and goes in the fuel line to the unit:

image.png.4aef0f38d99f1d3495d3bf74da951408.png

But I see there are now two threads running on air heaters that won't start. Maybe I'm confusing the two threads.

V1 Doodlebug.  Pulse jet, like a big paraffin blow lamp.

I recently bought an old D5W that was from a BT van. I hacked the wiring and fitted a couple of fuses ..one for the switch and one for the heater.

Stuck the water inlet and outlet hoses into a bucket and a short length of fuel hose into a jam jar of diesel.

It fires up just fine.. doesn't need any pressure on the fuel line. 

Once the switch is activated..it goes into the correct start up...water pump..air fan...and finally the tick tick fuel pump. Conversely..it does the correct shut down.

I'll fit that in the coming months.

On 16/09/2019 at 22:36, Wanderer Vagabond said:

The place I had ours serviced at, the boatyard at Gailey top lock, have a test rig set up outside to run the heaters on. It supplies a fuel source, electrical source and a coolant source since my limited understanding of the things is that without these three, the management unit detects a fault and will not let the thing start.

Fuel and electric, and they fire up.  They will go into overheat shutdown shortly afterwards, but they run enough to prove that they work ...