Low water.

Dav and Pen

Featured Posts

55 minutes ago, Dave123 said:

So all that rain over the summer didn't last. Expect closures will come in again soon...glad I have left the Oxford cabal for the rest of the year. The Thames is also very low...almost nothing going over the weirs :(

I was surprised to hear on a recent weather report just how different the summer rainfall was in the north-south divide. Whilst the norther canals and reservoirs were awash with too much, many southern areas were well below average. We forget that the  weather varies considerably across even our compact country (well, at least the canal network) when drawing generalisations.

3 hours ago, Mike Todd said:

I was surprised to hear on a recent weather report just how different the summer rainfall was in the north-south divide. Whilst the norther canals and reservoirs were awash with too much, many southern areas were well below average. We forget that the  weather varies considerably across even our compact country (well, at least the canal network) when drawing generalisations.

But CRT lifted the lock restrictions in the Braunston/Foxton area because of the summer rainfall...

12 hours ago, Mike Todd said:

A mate of mine is having a caravan break near a lake in Sutton on Sea. The lake is much lower than the last time he was there and the owner informed him that they’ve had no rain worth talking about for the last year. 

3 hours ago, Dave123 said:

Watford Gap is supposedly meant to be the boundary

Here we go again ;)

No, the boundary is Watford. There’s even a sign at the beginning of the M1 which reads ‘Watford and the North’ :P

11 hours ago, David Mack said:

The July Reservoir Watch on the CRT website shows reservoir levels holding up well. But the August version isn't there. The September version is due out any time now, and will give a better idea of the current position.

I found the August version 4 weeks back. It is still there tonight. 

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/refresh/media/thumbnail/40643-august-2019-reservoir-watch.pdf

11 hours ago, MHS said:

I found the August version 4 weeks back. It is still there tonight. 

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/refresh/media/thumbnail/40643-august-2019-reservoir-watch.pdf

Makes the same point about the north/south divide but also interesting that most areas' holdings went up between July and August.

9 minutes ago, Jim Riley said:

The Grand Contour Canal would be a solution, we can then sell OUR spare water down south, even up the distribution a bit. 

I lived in Northumberland when Kielder reservior was planned and built. There was talk then of the water being piped to other parts of the country. The locals were not at all impressed at the thought of their water being shared with effin' southerners. 

• Greenie 1