Leaking skylight

tjh82

Featured Posts

The link won't work for me, it shows an order for clip hinges? You are right though my last box (Dec2019) had satin chrome extending jacks to match the ss bars and hinges. I was confident that I had seen stainless jacks but was unable to find any.

I have purchased in the past from Black Country Ironworks ( it's not in the Black Country nor is it an ironworks) the items I wanted from them were out of stock but I was satisfied with the quality of the substitute items from Ironmongery Direct.

If anyone spots any in stainless I would be pleased to hear about them for future builds. I think the most important feature is the quick release mechanism Im also keen to have a trial run with the simplified dovetailing system.

Mike.

Edited by Mike Jordan
Damage to the language

On 29/09/2019 at 21:26, TheBiscuits said:

For three and a half grand I'd want one that shuts - I have seen that picture a few times and it never seems to close weathertight!  :P :icecream:

For three and a half grand I'd be wanting it to include the therapy to help me reevaluate my lifestyle choices. 

Why would one want one of these? What do they achieve? There is a little metal box on one of mine (helpful ingress point for the shore power cable!) but I'm not sure I'd really miss it? 

I would agree that the little metal "pigeon box" type vents have little or no appeal in terms of appearance and are just functional ventilators, often causing condensation problems, only suitable for use over engine rooms.Houdini hatches are, in my opinion, a condensation disaster, just ask a live aboard boater who owns one.

In wide beam boats or Dutch barges a properly designed and built deck light gives a very pleasant level of light and controllable ventilation.

Narrow boats featuring portholes only are not very nice living spaces to my mind but they can be greatly improved by the fitting of dog boxes, the drawback being that you need a number to get the right effect

As to the quoted price of £3500 don't forget that this was on the Thames  where boatyards tend to be expensive ( or greedy) places, and where just tying up for the night and sinking a few pints in a local hostelry can seriously dent the finances. The boatyards in the midlands are not cheap but normally much more competitive. Above other considerations all contributors to this thread seem to agree that a hole in the roof that leaks or causes condensation is a menace.

Mike.

So, basically a really, really expensive sky light? (I think someone said the materials would cost over a grand, but I'm not sure how?!?) Agree about portholes being miserable (I mean, why in 2020?!? I'd rather take my chances with boat security/heating than be (or even just feel) trapped inside). All the living spaces in my port-holed boat have hatches/doors, including a lovely picture window thing which slots in in place of the doors so you can be cosy but see out.

My houdini sky light (star-gazing window?) has two interchangeable internal acrylic(?) covers (black for sleeping, clear for daytime). Both are pretty effective at preventing condensation issues. They just slide into a sort of three-sided picture frame on the ceiling around the window. Nicely dry fortunately.

My engine room pigeon box does occasionally have a drip below it from condensation and/or the fact it is basically permanently open but nothing too bad.

Have seen good results with that Captain Tolley stuff in other areas though.

22 minutes ago, TheMenagerieAfloat said:

(I think someone said the materials would cost over a grand, but I'm not sure how?!?)

Try pricing up the many linear feet of mahogany required for a 2 metre x 1 metre frame plus windows, then the machining of it. Then add 316 Stainless hinges and security bars. Then add the telescopic chromed screw jacks. Then there are the 4 custom made double glazed units with laminated glass on one side and safety glass on the other. 

Here’s a shot of some of the raw timber used in the above dog box...

527BC2B9-335B-465A-8765-661620D932D2.jpeg.8dda1efdccd91f26db878545766a5ce4.jpeg

8 hours ago, Mike Jordan said:

If anyone spots any in stainless I would be pleased to hear about them for future builds. I think the most important feature is the quick release mechanism

I couldn’t find any SS either so had to plump for chromed. I agree that the quick release mechanism is essential. 

1 hour ago, WotEver said:

Try pricing up the many linear feet of mahogany required for a 2 metre x 1 metre frame plus windows, then the machining of it. Then add 316 Stainless hinges and security bars. Then add the telescopic chromed screw jacks. Then there are the 4 custom made double glazed units with laminated glass on one side and safety glass on the other.

Isn't it better to avoid mahogany now it is on the CITES lists etc? Feels like one ought to be paying a lot for something that environmentally dubious...

Agree the rest sounds expensive. Although presumably one could aim for semi-standard double glazed houdini window cannibalisation for some cost saving?

The timber shown looks like sapele to me, that's listed as vulnerable rather than endangered, much more knowledge is needed before finding fault. I once ran into abuse for using teak, the person making the noise had no idea where the material was traditionally grown and carefully harvested but was certain I was committing some sort of crime. Palm oil plantations are giving fast profits where forests of timber formerly stood, I'm not very knowledgable about the extent of the problem but it's easy to see that palm oil beats growing timber and it's easy to read the list of users and their products.Cadburys and other big names are featured.

1 hour ago, Mike Jordan said:

The timber shown looks like sapele to me, that's listed as vulnerable rather than endangered, much more knowledge is needed before finding fault.

Very true. 

Any timber I use, including that in the above photo, is FSC certified. The timber in this case was FSC Utile. 

I once ran into abuse for using teak, the person making the noise had no idea where the material was traditionally grown and carefully harvested but was certain I was committing some sort of crime.

There’s always a know-it-all, wherever you are. 

Edited by WotEver
Typo

11 hours ago, TheMenagerieAfloat said:

presumably one could aim for semi-standard double glazed houdini window cannibalisation for some cost saving?

No, one couldn’t. The size would be wrong, the safety aspects would be wrong, and the costs (unless second-hand) would almost certainly be higher. 

If you don’t want a custom-built roof vent that won’t leak then fine, don’t have one. However, before criticising something it’s always advisable to firstly equip oneself with some knowledge of the subject in question. 

2 minutes ago, WotEver said:

No, one couldn’t. The size would be wrong, the safety aspects would be wrong, and the costs (unless second-hand) would almost certainly be higher. 

If you don’t want a custom-built roof vent that won’t leak then fine, don’t have one. However, before criticising something it’s always advisable to firstly equip oneself with some knowledge of the subject in question. 

I was asking questions of ppl who like to consider themselves experts... Strikes me that that is precisely the kind if way one may gain knowledge? 

1 minute ago, TheMenagerieAfloat said:

I was asking questions of ppl who like to consider themselves experts... Strikes me that that is precisely the kind if way one may gain knowledge? 

Asking questions and criticising the responses are two entirely different things. 

The timber shown looks like sapele to me, that's listed as vulnerable rather than endangered, much more knowledge is needed before finding fault. I once ran into abuse for using teak, the person making the noise had no idea where the material was traditionally grown and carefully harvested but was certain I was committing some sort of crime. Palm oil plantations are giving fast profits where forests of timber formerly stood, I'm not very knowledgable about the extent of the problem but it's easy to see that palm oil beats growing timber and it's easy to read the list of users and their products.Cadburys and other big names are featured.

I don't use palm oil containing products either. Not even the 'sustainable' ones. 

I appreciate that the majority of the population would consider that too much effort. But then most people would consider custom sky lights too much effort so perhaps we're not that different 

Edited to add: the vulnerable list is for things which could become endangered if not heavily regulated. Regulation adds cost. So, erm, still applies. 

Edited by TheMenagerieAfloat

[I can actually quite enjoy being mansplained to when I'm learning but it helps if people mansplain right. 

Environmentally dubious was what I said... As in 'requires regulation / careful management not to be harmful'. If I'd wanted to say 'bad' I'd have said it 8-)]

20 minutes ago, TheMenagerieAfloat said:

[I can actually quite enjoy being mansplained to when I'm learning but it helps if people mansplain right. 

If you consider correcting misconceptions and countering incorrect assumptions to be ‘mansplaining’ then, as Deborah Meaden has been known to say, “I’m out”. 

6 minutes ago, WotEver said:

If you consider correcting misconceptions and countering incorrect assumptions to be ‘mansplaining’ then, as Deborah Meaden has been known to say, “I’m out”. 

Tis all about the tone. But agree we're not havibg fun. So, let's stop 

2 hours ago, TheMenagerieAfloat said:

I don't use palm oil containing products either. Not even the 'sustainable' ones.

I can believe that you try to minimise your use of palm oil products, but I would be very surprised if you can avoid them completely given their ubiquity in all sorts of food products.

1 hour ago, David Mack said:

I can believe that you try to minimise your use of palm oil products, but I would be very surprised if you can avoid them completely given their ubiquity in all sorts of food products.

I don't buy many pre-made food things so actually I can name the one exception which is a particular brand of flap jack my daughter eats. I don't eat them. Nothing else. In food or cosmetics.

Its like when people used to assume I'd be the kind of veggie who wears leather (not that I have an issue with that, is just that I do internal consistency so I don't). Then they'd look at my feet and be slightly disappointed. When they began to ask about my handbags I'd come out with 'oh, yes, I used to have to compromise on the soles of my ballet shoes but I've since found someone in Russia who makes me synthetic ones.'

These days you can get vegan ballet shoes in the normal dance shops in Covent Garden. It' ll be fab when you can stop for a palm oil free snack too! 

Edited by TheMenagerieAfloat
Tldr: no, I said it because it was true, I'm a geek like that

On 13/02/2020 at 21:49, TheMenagerieAfloat said:

So, basically a really, really expensive sky light? (I think someone said the materials would cost over a grand, but I'm not sure how?!?) Agree about portholes being miserable (I mean, why in 2020?!? I'd rather take my chances with boat security/heating than be (or even just feel) trapped inside). All the living spaces in my port-holed boat have hatches/doors, including a lovely picture window thing which slots in in place of the doors so you can be cosy but see out.

My houdini sky light (star-gazing window?) has two interchangeable internal acrylic(?) covers (black for sleeping, clear for daytime). Both are pretty effective at preventing condensation issues. They just slide into a sort of three-sided picture frame on the ceiling around the window. Nicely dry fortunately.

My engine room pigeon box does occasionally have a drip below it from condensation and/or the fact it is basically permanently open but nothing too bad.

Have seen good results with that Captain Tolley stuff in other areas though.

I have a similar secondary glazing arrangement with my Houdini hatches and they dont drip condensation.

What an excellent idea the black night time panels are. I shall be pinching that idea! ?

• Greenie 1

On 14/02/2020 at 11:32, TheMenagerieAfloat said:

Edited to add: the vulnerable list is for things which could become endangered if not heavily regulated. Regulation adds cost. So, erm, still applies. 

It might apply if you ignored my post that any timber I use is FSC certified. Otherwise, no it doesn’t apply. 

• 3 months later...

Mike Jordan built this for me and i am very pleased.

£1950 without a finish... Taken me a while to get that sorted to match the elderly wheelhouse.

Great to deal with. Thanks Mike.

20200510_163939.jpg

3 hours ago, Paringa said:

Mike Jordan built this for me and i am very pleased.

£1950 without a finish... Taken me a while to get that sorted to match the elderly wheelhouse.

Great to deal with. Thanks Mike.

20200510_163939.jpg

A fair price.  I like the moulding of the skylights - it makes them appear lighter.

Kevin

Thanks for the kind remarks, it's nice to see the finished item in place and looking good.

Wotever - That's  eurocutter F45 in the spindle moulder block. I use it on the narrow boat dog boxes as well, it's a pleasing shape.

Mike.