Leighton Buzzard

Jennifer

Featured Posts

Hello everyone, 

I have been looking at this forum for a while and have decided to join as I do need some advice on areas and wondered if anyone on the forum knows anything about Leighton buzzard.

We are considering mooring on the grand union in Leighton Buzzard but don't know enough about the area and am wondering if it is safe, we are currently moored near London and to be honest hate it there is a lot of trouble with the kids around the area where we are and it is not what we were looking for when we brought the boat.  We have a widebeam and we will be living on it and want a safe and peaceful location not too far from facilities such as doctors etc and it is reasonable in Leighton buzzard compared to some areas.  

Any good and bad points on the area would really be appreciated 

Thanks 

Jen

Are you talking about a "Waterside Moorings" tow-path based mooring, or maybe a berth at Grove Marina?

I would be disappointed if a wide-beam were allowed on the Waterside Moorings tow-path moorings, as there really isn't the width along that stretch for it to be a great idea.

Currently no vacancies are showing at that site, which seems odd, as there have always tended to be in the not that far distant past.

I don't know what people do about parking there - certainly non is associated with the moorings.

If you mean Grove Marina, my understanding is that it has a reputation for being somewhat windswept, otherwise I know of no problems.

Not sure about wide-beam pricing, but presumably you have enquired, (it used to have a waiting list).

5 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

If you mean Grove Marina, my understanding is that it has a reputation for being somewhat windswept, otherwise I know of no problems.

Not sure about wide-beam pricing, but presumably you have enquired, (it used to have a waiting list).

Hi yes there is a waiting list but we are looking around other places like milton Keynes as well but it is good to note that there are no major issues with the area we just want to be around nice decent people and unfortunately we find greater London too rough.

I lived in Leighton Buzzard for 12 years until last year in various houses. 

Like all areas it has changed in that time, to many houses, not enough infostructure. However I found the town wonderful and miss it. Everything was local, people were nice. There are a lot of houses still to be built and we moved north for better house pricing / value for money. 

Canal side i dont think you would have much bother however there is zero for kids to do and there are a fair few travelers about.

Grove is nice out of town the sort of manager / caretaker drinks in my old local the Bald Buzzard. 

2 hours ago, Jennifer said:

Hi yes there is a waiting list but we are looking around other places like milton Keynes as well but it is good to note that there are no major issues with the area we just want to be around nice decent people and unfortunately we find greater London too rough.

This marina has vacancies according to their Webb site. http://www.campbellwharfmarina.com

23 hours ago, Jennifer said:

Hello everyone, 

I have been looking at this forum for a while and have decided to join as I do need some advice on areas and wondered if anyone on the forum knows anything about Leighton buzzard.

We are considering mooring on the grand union in Leighton Buzzard but don't know enough about the area and am wondering if it is safe, we are currently moored near London and to be honest hate it there is a lot of trouble with the kids around the area where we are and it is not what we were looking for when we brought the boat.  We have a widebeam and we will be living on it and want a safe and peaceful location not too far from facilities such as doctors etc and it is reasonable in Leighton buzzard compared to some areas.  

Any good and bad points on the area would really be appreciated 

Thanks 

Jen

HI Jen,

New member, please be gentle!

I moored at LB for several years, I have to say I loved every minute.

LB itself is a lovely and very proud little town, and community.

Commuting into central london was quicker then when I lived in Greater London (Northolt).

The only negatives really are that the towpath is very busy with walkers, and the canal has paddlers on it every evening.

Apparently since we left there has been an expansion on the settled traveller site, and that seems to be leading to a little more petty crime, but tbh I wouldn't worry too much, though we did have a generator stolen while we were there (I'm not suggesting for a second the two are related!!)

All in all I really miss the place, and would love to go back.

Bex 

15 hours ago, F DRAYKE said:

This marina has vacancies according to their Webb site. http://www.campbellwharfmarina.com

If I'm reading it correctly wide-beams pay for two narrow beam berths.

The quarterly fee for a pontoon, even for a 55 foot boat is shown as, £940.46, so £3761.84 per annum.

That would make a 55 foot wide beam £7523.68 per year!

If you need 70 feet, then it would be £9575.60!

It would need to be good!

7 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

If I'm reading it correctly wide-beams pay for two narrow beam berths.

The quarterly fee for a pontoon, even for a 55 foot boat is shown as, £940.46, so £3761.84 per annum.

That would make a 55 foot wide beam £7523.68 per year!

If you need 70 feet, then it would be £9575.60!

It would need to be good!

Think you need to recheck the figures again, the amounts shown are for wide-beams.

On 16/09/2019 at 21:13, F DRAYKE said:

Think you need to recheck the figures again, the amounts shown are for wide-beams.

No, I don't think they are.....

I think all the "Wide Beam" is saying in the price list, is that that berth is one of an adjacent pair of narrow beam berths which could instead be taken by one wide beam.

Look at (for example) berth 88 not shown as "wide beam" - the price is the same as the next 4 berths that are.

It is confusing, I admit, but it clearly says at the bottom "wide beams pay for 2 pontoon lengths", and I'm 99% certain that means you have to double the figure shown.  Ring them, and tell me if I'm wrong

12 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

No, I don't think they are.....

I think all the "Wide Beam" is saying in the price list, is that that berth is one of an adjacent pair of narrow beam berths which could instead be taken by one wide beam.

Look at (for example) berth 88 not shown as "wide beam" - the price is the same as the next 4 berths that are.

It is confusing, I admit, but it clearly says at the bottom "wide beams pay for 2 pontoon lengths", and I'm 99% certain that means you have to double the figure shown.  Ring them, and tell me if I'm wrong

Didn't notice that, must go to Specsavers.?

1 minute ago, F DRAYKE said:

Didn't notice that, must go to Specsavers.?

It's a lot of money, isn't it!  - It will be interesting to see how many of those pontoons actually acquire wide beams, as opposed to 2 narrow boats in the gap.

5 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

It's a lot of money, isn't it!  - It will be interesting to see how many of those pontoons actually acquire wide beams, as opposed to 2 narrow boats in the gap.

When we went past this marina a few days ago there was already some wide-beams moored there. The owners of these boats must have TOOOOO much money.

On 17/09/2019 at 11:53, Tash and Bex said:

HI Jen,

New member, please be gentle!

I moored at LB for several years, I have to say I loved every minute.

LB itself is a lovely and very proud little town, and community.

Commuting into central london was quicker then when I lived in Greater London (Northolt).

The only negatives really are that the towpath is very busy with walkers, and the canal has paddlers on it every evening.

Apparently since we left there has been an expansion on the settled traveller site, and that seems to be leading to a little more petty crime, but tbh I wouldn't worry too much, though we did have a generator stolen while we were there (I'm not suggesting for a second the two are related!!)

All in all I really miss the place, and would love to go back.

Bex 

Hi Bex thanks for the info it appears I got it wrong the marina we wanted to go to has no vacancies and also is way too expensive so couldn't afford it we will continue looking …..